contents of field pack... ??

If we wind up doing a drop camp and need to start making longer and longer treks into field towards the end of hunt, I'd like to minimize what's brought with us when we leave camp,. However, I'd also like to be prepared for whatever might happen if we wind up a fair distance from "home." What am I missing here, and of equal importance, anything you'd not bring?

4 in rifle
4 extra
binocs
snack
water
compass
game bags
gps
headlamp
headlamp batts
knife
scalpal
scalpel blades
paracord
rifle
sat phone
tarps
camera
paper
pencil
quarter
safety streamer
spotting scope
saw

mcseal2

WKR
That is my list I had going up there. I did not pack all that every day in reality. We were limited by water we couldn't cross with chest waders on how far we could get. This list was overkill for what we did, but it should give you some ideas. Some of the items don't need packed by both people and I had it all on my list. No need for 2 tarps, 2 stoves, 2 spotters, 2 tripods, 2 moose calls, etc. We split that up on the hunt between the 2 of us to make the weight work more evenly. It was just all my gear we used so it was all on my list until we divvied it up.

I like to include everything but the clothing I will walk in when I make my lists. It shows me how fast stuff I put on me or in my pockets adds to the total weight I'm actually packing.

We had a kill kit in our inflatable boat with a Wyoming saw, trekking poles, game bags, several items stuck in a dry bag. We were never able to get over 3/4 of a mile from the boat and figured it was ok in there instead of on us. I ended up moving several items from the Excel list into the dry bag left in the boat once we learned that.

Last edited: