Converting a pack into a camera bag?

Anyone have any suggestions for a soft camera storage system or padded dividers that I can use to convert my Kifaru Shape Charge (2000ci) or Stryker XL (1500ci) into a camera bag? I need room for at least 1 body with a lens and 2 additional lenses, a spot for filters, a spot for batteries and cables and a spot for all the stuff I forgot about. Lol. A square or rectangular padded container with a zip-off panel/lid and a internal divider system would be awesome; IF I can find one that fits/conforms to the internal dimensions of those packs. Or, if I could find some sort of padded dividers with Velcro attachments on them for attaching to a camera bag, I could see some Velcro into the inside sides of the pack. Any suggestions yall might have would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have put a decent bit of thought into this over several years, but never found something to my liking.

The TrekPack or Padded Deviders Pelican uses in their cases could be made to work, but some customization would be needed.
Screenshot_20210625-002624_Chrome.jpg

BBarnett13

Lil-Rokslider
Check out WANDRD Camera Cubes or Tenba Inserts. There's many varieties so you should be able to find one that fits your needs. I have the Tenba BYOB 9 DSLR Backpack Insert that works well for what I carry and fits well in most hunting packs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ is a good source for camera accessories.

Look at outta the box alternatives as well and save a fortune. I quickly learned that the "specialty bags" were three and four times more than comparable bags when trying to find something suitable for my Swaro spotter. A $50 rifle bag worked great and you could probably use their small bag. The hard cases didn't work for my application and couldn't hold my tripod w/ head...I can even put my Helinox chair in this bag. Great solution for scouting.BTX1.JPGscopecase.JPGscopecaseopen.JPG

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Check out WANDRD Camera Cubes or Tenba Inserts. There's many varieties so you should be able to find one that fits your needs. I have the Tenba BYOB 9 DSLR Backpack Insert that works well for what I carry and fits well in most hunting packs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ is a good source for camera accessories.

Thanks! I’ll check them out. I may have found what I’m looking for, though…. Shimoda brand “core insert.” Actually, their backpacks look awesome but I already have a bunch of Kifaru bags and the Shimoda’s (X30, X50 & X70) are too heavy to put inside a backpacking pack. But the core units are just what I was thinking of and they’re not stupid expense - not cheap but not stupid.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
Look at outta the box alternatives as well and save a fortune. I quickly learned that the "specialty bags" were three and four times more than comparable bags when trying to find something suitable for my Swaro spotter. A $50 rifle bag worked great and you could probably use their small bag. The hard cases didn't work for my application and couldn't hold my tripod w/ head...I can even put my Helinox chair in this bag. Great solution for scouting.View attachment 301712View attachment 301713View attachment 301714

Thanks Bruce! I’ll definitely check them out. That looks like a nice setup. Check out my post above. Found a company called Shimoda that has some pretty cool stuff; priced kinda comparable to Kifaru but solely for photography.

OP
BrushyHillGuide
I have put a decent bit of thought into this over several years, but never found something to my liking.

The TrekPack or Padded Deviders Pelican uses in their cases could be made to work, but some customization would be needed.
View attachment 301671

I hear ya - hard to find just the right thing sometimes. I’m looking for soft-sided stuff to reduce weight and will fit well into either my day packs or even my 7 day pack. Found a company called Shimoda that looks promising. Check them out at www.Shimoda.com Looks like they can be bought through Adorama.com but have to be semi-special ordered.

Bearizona

FNG
My brother had good luck with using dividers out of a modular, multiple pistol carrying range bag.

Chris F

FNG
There's an outfit selling a "pod" based camera pack system. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Chris F

FNG
I think this is the one; F-Stop Gear. Their offerings look a bit different than when I was shopping last. https://shop.fstopgear.com/other-products/internal-camera-units-and-camera-inserts/
I was going to suggest hauling an appropriate sized Pelican strapped to the outside (or inside of your pack) as I've done...but I see that you're looking for a soft solution.

If you decide to go with a photo dedicated pack, I really like my MindShift BackLight. It has a suspension that's better than some of my hunting packs (well...maybe not saying much because I have a couple of Eberlestocks from when I didn't know better). Not sure how heavy your gear is, but when I was shooting sports, and schlepped long lenses and wide (for team shots), it wasn't uncommon that I had 40lbs of gear on my back, and the MindShift BackLight worked extremely well at organizing and hauling.

Looks like they also have modular pod systems;

Last edited: