Converting an old fridge into Meat cooler. Any tips & tricks??

RaggedHunter

I want a cooler at my house that I can let meat age, and also so I don't have to rush to get it cut up. Some day I would like to build a walk in cooler but I just don't have that kind of space right now. So I am thinking of picking up and old fridge and putting hangers in it and using that for the time being.
I've seen a few posts on guys that have converted old fridges into meat coolers.
I am keeping my eyes on craigslist and the local papers for an old fridge to do one myself.

I'm hoping that others who have done this can chime in and offer some tips and tricks or do's and don'ts.
What kind of fridge works best? Side/side, over under? Better to have freezer on top or bottom?
If you do the freezer on top and cut out the shelf that separates the freezer and the fridge, how do you seal the doors?

Tips on making shelves or hangers?

Any other tips or advice is appreciated!

maxp

Just used what I had but this was a side by side..I like the height...right now have a mature mule doe and big mule buck quarters hanging and it's right full..the pic is just a doe

Attachments

OP
RaggedHunter

RaggedHunter

Just used what I had but this was a side by side..I like the height...right now have a mature mule doe and big mule buck quarters hanging and it's right full..the pic is just a doe
Thanks for the info and pics. I'm thinking that size would work just fine for me for the time being, I don't usually have to hang more than 1 animal at a time. Typically it would either be a single mule deer or a single elk. Have you tried to fit a quartered elk in yours?

KClark

Been contemplating this as well. Seems an upright freezer with an after market inline thermostat may be a better option. Full height, no divider and better insulation and hardware.

OP
RaggedHunter

RaggedHunter

Been contemplating this as well. Seems an upright freezer with an after market inline thermostat may be a better option. Full height, no divider and better insulation and hardware.
I hadn't thought about that, that would make a nice setup, would be just about perfect for space, and your right not having to take out the divider would be nice. I'm not familiar with putting in an aftermarket inline thermostat, how big of a pain is this to do? Any idea how much it would cost for the thermostat?

maxp

Thanks for the info and pics. I'm thinking that size would work just fine for me for the time being, I don't usually have to hang more than 1 animal at a time. Typically it would either be a single mule deer or a single elk. Have you tried to fit a quartered elk in yours?
No I haven't but I'm guessing you could only hang two quarters at a time