Converting T3X 7mm Rem Mag to 28 Nosler Possible?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a T3X in 7mm Rem Mag and was wondering if any has tried to convert to 28 Nosler?

I know Shaen has done some 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC on these rifles. Any info on if he does the 7mm to 28 Nosler as well?

What are magazine options?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback and knowledge on this.

ak max 83

FNG
Redsnake Tactical has a LA AICS conversion that allows 3.500" COAL. I'd recommend putting a dial caliper on the long action magnum tikka magazine if you want something flush fitting.

Both are options.

4ester

WKR
For the increased cost for anything that says 28 Nosler on it..... I’d continue with the 7mag.

Brass, Dies, and loaded ammo are stupid expensive (and just because of Noslers cut).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For the increased cost for anything that says 28 Nosler on it..... I’d continue with the 7mag.

Brass, Dies, and loaded ammo are stupid expensive (and just because of Noslers cut).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I already had a 28 Nosler that I sold, so I’m all set up to load and have plenty of supplies so that’s not the issue.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
The problem is fitting the long cases in a mag with a bullet seated in a reasonable spot. 284 is perfect for the Tikka action, or one of the short mags.

Another problem is, if you simply ream out a Tikka 7mm rem mag chamber to a 28 nosler you are still having to deal with slow twist rates that are in no way ideal for the bullets that would be desirable in the 28. You basically don't really gain anything.

J Dubaya

FNG
I have attempted to do this exact transition. According to 4 different gun smiths (two that specialize in tikka upgrades), this is not feasible without considerable work around the feeding of the rounds. There are prefit barrels available, which is why I thought it wouldnt be a big deal. However as I mentioned, after chatting with the gun smiths (all of whom could not guarantee that it would work flawlessly and declined to do the work), I decided to bag the idea of using the tikka action. There are lots of actions that will work, but Tikka is just slightly to short to be effective.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
At the risk of dredging this up, I'll throw a response in just because the forum queued it up for me.

The Tikka action and magazine length are not optimal for the 28 Nosler or any other truly long action cartridge. About perfect for a .284 Win or 7 SAUM (or Sherman variant)...just not the big/long stuff.

For example, my T3x 7mm RM w/ 168 VLD puts the bullet on the lands at ~3.43 inches of COL...and my magazine handles 3.325. Going to bottom metal that handles 3.5" COL gives me about as much space as I want/need to handle the 7mm RM w/168s (and maybe a touch heavier).

TheAngler

FNG
This video makes it sounds like barreling a Tikka LA 28 Nosler works well. Has anybody done it? I am interested to hear their experience.

J Dubaya

FNG
I talked to 4 different gunsmiths in my area and they all said no to 28 Nosler using my Tikka action. I was told it has more to do with the shoulder of the cartridge then anything else. Two of those gunsmith's specialize in Tikka customs. They both said no to doing the work.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

TheAngler

FNG
I talked to 4 different gunsmiths in my area and they all said no to 28 Nosler using my Tikka action. I was told it has more to do with the shoulder of the cartridge then anything else. Two of those gunsmith's specialize in Tikka customs. They both said no to doing the work.

Thanks for the info. I am left-handed. I am looking for an action I can build a 28 Nosler but the options are very limited. Does anybody have a recommendation for a left-handed action that will work with a 28 Nosler?

gbflyer

WKR
Remington 700 long action mag bolt or any of its gozillion clones. I’m partial to Borden Accuracy but there are many others.

J Dubaya

FNG
Thanks for the info. I am left-handed. I am looking for an action I can build a 28 Nosler but the options are very limited. Does anybody have a recommendation for a left-handed action that will work with a 28 Nosler?
I am lefty also but also with a limited budget. So ended up doing a Tikka Kit through Oregon Mountain Rifle. Love it and very happy with his work. He also builds some great rifles with his own action. Just was outta my budget for this build. Gonna have to start mowing lawns and picking up cans, so I can fund this hobby of mine.

TheAngler

FNG
I am lefty also but also with a limited budget. So ended up doing a Tikka Kit through Oregon Mountain Rifle. Love it and very happy with his work. He also builds some great rifles with his own action. Just was outta my budget for this build. Gonna have to start mowing lawns and picking up cans, so I can fund this hobby of mine.

I looked o Oregon Mountain Rifle. It looks like the kits provide upgrades on an existing caliber. Did you do a kit that changes the caliber to 28 Nosler?

J Dubaya

FNG
I looked o Oregon Mountain Rifle. It looks like the kits provide upgrades on an existing caliber. Did you do a kit that changes the caliber to 28 Nosler?
They do not do Tikka to 28 nosler conversion. He is able to do additional cartridges that are not listed, but not 28 Nosler, 300 PRC, etc...

He can do the Rem 700 kits in 28 nosler though.