Converting Win M70 7mmWsm to a 6.8western

Local pawn shop has an older M70 in 7WSM, the barrel is rusted and need work. Inside the action is spotless. Looks like it’s mostly sat in a gun safe and received surface rust.. it’s cheap enough, I could throw a new barrel in 6.8 western on it and a bell Carlson stock and have a nice rifle for less than a new 6.8 from browning. I should be fine with the short action right? Just planning on shooting factory ammo. 165s

Buy a barrel blank in 1-7.5 twist and have my smith chamber and true the action to it? Or buy a prefit? What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
The CRF Win M70 actions are a mid length receiver. Great platform to build a 6.5 prc, or the 6.8 Western should work too. Of course there’s nothing wrong with the 7 wsm either. Truing the action and a new barrel installed with cut chamber should run you about $700-$800 or so. I’m not aware of any M70 prefits and I doubt the tolerances are tight enough anyways. Toss in some Cerakote and a good, properly bedded stock and you’d have a very nice build, far superior to any factory Browning. Don’t compare things on the basis of price alone! A Classic M70 trued with a match grade barrel and a good stock is going to blow factory rifle quality out of the water!

OP
silasbowhunter
I was looking at a McGowan and saw they offered a prefit, I’ll probably just have my smith do the work on a blank! Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought is a pre-fit, fitted by a gunsmith would be no different in accuracy or otherwise than a blank all else equal. Haven't really heard many (any) bad stories of pre-fits, even when done by an individual. Or maybe those guys don't post it up, lol.