Convince hunting partner tarp vs tent

Carr5vols

WKR
How do I convince my hunting partner a tarp tent is the way to go vs a 3 season tent. We share weight on items like this and I already have both. He is concerned about rain/snow blowing in. The tarp tent is 4 lbs lighter. We will be doing a high country late October Colorado hunt this year for reference.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
High country late October.........you'll want a stove. Definitely take an enclosed floorless shelter that you can use a stove in. I'd use neither a tarp tent or a 3-season tent.

Stove would definitely be nice. I would try to convince him of the stove rather than trying to change his mind on the shelter. With the stove comes the floorless shelter. Some people just aren't comfortable with sleeping on the ground, and forcing him into submission could result in a bad experience for both of you.

If you're the one carrying it you pack what you want and when the sun goes down you invite him in, let him decide if he wants in or not.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
High country late October.........you'll want a stove. Definitely take an enclosed floorless shelter that you can use a stove in. I'd use neither a tarp tent or a 3-season tent.

I have read a lot were stoves are not worth the weight as they only burn for a short time then they have to be filled back up. I do sleep warm and have a 0 degree bag. I could put a stove Jack in the tarp tent....

Poser

WKR
Only time I’ve had snow blow under a tarp was sleeping above treeline with 40-50 mph winds all night. Even then, it was more like a frost inside the tarp. A UL bivy solves that issue. I’d bank the argument on varying 4# of additional food.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have read a lot were stoves are not worth the weight as they only burn for a short time then they have to be filled back up. I do sleep warm and have a 0 degree bag. I could put a stove Jack in the tarp tent....

Not for when you're sleeping......when you're up. To warm up in the morning before heading out and warming at night and even drying clothes out. There's nothing worse than starting the day off in single digit temps when you're already freezing.

4 lbs lighter? Buy a lighter tent. 4 lbs lighter than a 2 man, 3 season tent should be zero. Plus I agree with him. Late October give me an enclosed shelter. Stove is nice but take that advice with a grain of salt. We run one and it’s great but didn’t for many years and it’s fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk