Convince me this Tikka build makes sense

tam9492

WKR
Some background: I've never owned a 'nice' rifle, but I'd like to get something that can serve the purpose of an 'all-around' gun that I can keep for a long time. I'm primarily a bow hunter, but I do enjoy hitting the mountains with a rifle after a long season in a treestand. I want lightweight and accurate, but I don't need stupid accurate. Just about any rifle will outshoot me at this point, but I'd like something capable to grow into as I begin to shoot more and fall down the rabbit hole of nice rifles. I'd like to be right around 6lbs scoped.

I'd willing to be in the $2000-range for the rifle and top it with light glass. My original plan was to scoop a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in 280AI. It's lightweight (5.4lbs advertised), nice stock, brake and right around the $2K mark. Then I found a Remington 700 TI action for sale and it got my wheels turning about a build. I didn't end up buying the action because I don't think I can get one and build out for close to $2K.

Then, I found @Sadler milled Tikka action thread, and that really got my wheels turning. I've put together the following parts list that should place me below the Weatherby weight-wise, and maybe just below in price. Does it make sense to put this much effort and money into a Tikka rather than buy a stock Weatherby? Is there another platform I should think about building out to meet my desirables and budget?

Prices below are based list price or gunsmith price lists. Price for the donor Tikka action, barrel and trigger is assuming a find a good sale or find a nice used donor. I still need to pick a bolt handle. What else am I missing?

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless or Superlite in .270 = $650
Action milled, bolt fluted, barrel fluted and barrel threaded and break installed by Karl Feldkamp = $500
Wildcat Composites stock = $380
Local glass bedding = $125
Mountain Tactical bottom metal = $150
Mountain Tactical Gen2 Mag = $70

TOTAL = $1875 (probably $2K after taxes, shipping and general overspending)

Andy Ivy

FNG
You can’t got wrong with a tikka, I have some high end actions and the tikka’s just run and shoots good.
A note on very light weight… I think you loose more then you gain, at that weight guns are finicky and unforgiving. And for hunting as nice as a really light rifle is to carry, after all the work that goes in to a mountain hunt there are better places to save weight. Everyone I know that’s gone down the ultra light rifle road has gone back.
Final note, spend the money on a decent scope.

Good luck

Antares

WKR
Makes sense if that’s what you want, and that’s what it’s really all about.

Some thoughts.

6 pounds scoped is a tough bar to meet. 8-8.5 pounds gives you a lot more options and is more “shootable.”

The MT bottom metal is twice as heavy as the stock plastic and does nothing except look cool (I have three of them). Not the way to go if you’re chasing ounces.

I don’t know anything about the wildcat stock, but if given the choice between weight and fit, I’d take fit every time. Make sure you like the way it fits.

I am wrestling with the same thing. Getting the itch for a new gun. I have always tried to avoid turning my relatively cheap tikka into a $2k gun.

Mesa or AG seem to be the best options for a carbon stock.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
You'd have to travel to Canada to get the stock. He's not currently shipping to the US.
Good to know! I don’t have FB but was able to see his 2021 price list there. I also saw some chatter about shipping, so I’m not surprised to hear this. Could be a deal breaker - his stocks would have cut half a pound off the build.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Makes sense if that’s what you want, and that’s what it’s really all about.

Some thoughts.

6 pounds scoped is a tough bar to meet. 8-8.5 pounds gives you a lot more options and is more “shootable.”

The MT bottom metal is twice as heavy as the stock plastic and does nothing except look cool (I have three of them). Not the way to go if you’re chasing ounces.

I don’t know anything about the wildcat stock, but if given the choice between weight and fit, I’d take fit every time. Make sure you like the way it fits.
Good info on the bottom metal. My thinking there was durability and dependability. I’ve read some things about the design of the factory ‘metal’ that suggest it doesn’t hold mags the best.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
You can’t got wrong with a tikka, I have some high end actions and the tikka’s just run and shoots good.
A note on very light weight… I think you loose more then you gain, at that weight guns are finicky and unforgiving. And for hunting as nice as a really light rifle is to carry, after all the work that goes in to a mountain hunt there are better places to save weight. Everyone I know that’s gone down the ultra light rifle road has gone back.
Final note, spend the money on a decent scope.

Good luck
I’ve read and read about the downfalls of too light. I just don’t know that I shoot enough, or at long enough ranges, for it to affect the way I hunt. I used a Backcountey 1.0 last season in 6.5 and was delighted with how it handled for me.

z987k

WKR
Some background: I've never owned a 'nice' rifle, but I'd like to get something that can serve the purpose of an 'all-around' gun that I can keep for a long time. I'm primarily a bow hunter, but I do enjoy hitting the mountains with a rifle after a long season in a treestand. I want lightweight and accurate, but I don't need stupid accurate. Just about any rifle will outshoot me at this point, but I'd like something capable to grow into as I begin to shoot more and fall down the rabbit hole of nice rifles. I'd like to be right around 6lbs scoped.

I'd willing to be in the $2000-range for the rifle and top it with light glass. My original plan was to scoop a Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in 280AI. It's lightweight (5.4lbs advertised), nice stock, brake and right around the $2K mark. Then I found a Remington 700 TI action for sale and it got my wheels turning about a build. I didn't end up buying the action because I don't think I can get one and build out for close to $2K.

Then, I found @Sadler milled Tikka action thread, and that really got my wheels turning. I've put together the following parts list that should place me below the Weatherby weight-wise, and maybe just below in price. Does it make sense to put this much effort and money into a Tikka rather than buy a stock Weatherby? Is there another platform I should think about building out to meet my desirables and budget?

Prices below are based list price or gunsmith price lists. Price for the donor Tikka action, barrel and trigger is assuming a find a good sale or find a nice used donor. I still need to pick a bolt handle. What else am I missing?

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless or Superlite in .270 = $650
Action milled, bolt fluted, barrel fluted and barrel threaded and break installed by Karl Feldkamp = $500
Wildcat Composites stock = $380
Local glass bedding = $125
Mountain Tactical bottom metal = $150
Mountain Tactical Gen2 Mag = $70

TOTAL = $1875 (probably $2K after taxes, shipping and general overspending)
You can buy a superlight and not need to flute the barrel. The milled action and fluted bolt are worth something like 1oz together? Not worth the money.

The MT bottom metal and mag adds back a bunch of that weight that you just spent hundreds of dollars per ounce saving. If you don't put a really light scope on there, you'll do the same thing there... add back the weight in a scope.

For the same price I'd get the Weatherby. I own 2 tikkas, one with a wildcat stock and one that really is just a tikka action.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
You can buy a superlight and not need to flute the barrel. The milled action and fluted bolt are worth something like 1oz together? Not worth the money.

The MT bottom metal and mag adds back a bunch of that weight that you just spent hundreds of dollars per ounce saving. If you don't put a really light scope on there, you'll do the same thing there... add back the weight in a scope.

For the same price I'd get the Weatherby. I own 2 tikkas, one with a wildcat stock and one that really is just a tikka action.
@Sadler shaved 4oz with the milled action and fluted bolt. And my thinking with the barrel: the Superlite is advertised as several ounces lighter than the Lite, and the only difference is a fluted barrel. I figure a spiral flute (longer flutes than just straight flutes) will shave even more. I absolutely agree about adding all the weight back in other ways, and I’m glad guys are chiming in about what aftermarket parts ‘are or aren’t’ necessary.

Glass-wise, I’m thinking the Maven RS2 at 12oz or a VX3.

I want to get the best bang for my buck, so
I’ve really looked into this. However, that also means I’m not attached to any idea other than the best rifle that meets my wish list and budget.

I wouldn't buy a Tikka for the purpose of doing this. I'd just get a defiance anti or something similar, and then you can have a blind mag box and make it even lighter

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Why not just buy a Sako Carbonlight? A bit more money but comes ready to shoot now and it’s basically already a semi custom Tikka.

It will be lighter than a semi custom Tikka, already comes with 20” fluted stainless barrel, flush mount stainless magazine, and aluminum bottom metal. Not to mention they build the action length for the cartridge it shoots which saves weight on short and medium actions and the cycling is shorter.
Adjust the trigger down to 2 lbs and go hunt with it.

My Carbonlight bare weight photo below. It was 6 lbs 12 ounces full of ammo and ready to hunt with a Meopta 1” scope and Talley rings.

7742A072-27AD-44EA-B904-18FC2BA20857.jpeg

Sled

WKR
You mentioned that the Weatherby handled and shot great for you. Why not just go that route? It's a known vs an unknown. I say this as a big fan of Tikka. I have many and like them all. Some are not stock but most are.

Having an ultralite is nice, provided you understand the limitations of it and train regularly enough to be proficient with it.

Sled

WKR
Why not just buy a Sako Carbonlight? A bit more money but comes ready to shoot now and it’s basically already a semi custom Tikka.

It will be lighter than a semi custom Tikka, already comes with 20” fluted stainless barrel, flush mount stainless magazine, and aluminum bottom metal. Not to mention they build the action length for the cartridge it shoots which saves weight on short and medium actions and the cycling is shorter.
Adjust the trigger down to 2 lbs and go hunt with it.

My Carbonlight bare weight photo below. It was 6 lbs 12 ounces full of ammo and ready to hunt with a Meopta 1” scope and Talley rings.

View attachment 358288

Pretty sure he stated a 2k max on price. That's 1k over budget.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
You mentioned that the Weatherby handled and shot great for you. Why not just go that route? It's a known vs an unknown. I say this as a big fan of Tikka. I have many and like them all. Some are not stock but most are.

Having an ultralite is nice, provided you understand the limitations of it and train regularly enough to be proficient with it.
This type of rationalization is why I’m here!

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
I wouldn't buy a Tikka for the purpose of doing this. I'd just get a defiance anti or something similar, and then you can have a blind mag box and make it even lighter
I’ve looked at custom actions, but the wait times are long and would push the build beyond budget