Convince me this Tikka build makes sense

Sadler

WKR
@tam9492 I still haven’t shot this action yet since I’m still waiting on my barrel, but if it proves to be ridged enough without the bridge, this is what I’ll be doing next. And in terms of custom rifles, heck even some factory rifles, this is cheap.

Tikka t3x lite in 6.5 creedmoor- $700
Have Karl mill the action and chop and thread the barrel to 16”- $300ish
Mountain Tactical bolt shroud- $60
MTN Gear titanium bolt handle- $70
Tikka vertical grip- $40
Mountain Tactical cheek riser kit- $50
Mountain Tactical trigger spring- $10
Shipping/taxes/transfer fees $150ish

That’s $1,380 so far. A defiance anti is $1,000 and a trigger is another $150 totaling $1,150 before taxes and transfer fees which will most likely add at least another $100 to it. So I’m paying $130 more for a customized tikka action that weighs 1.5 ounces more than the defiance anti XM length action AND I get a trigger, barrel, mag and stock with that extra $130 along with almost zero wait time and a short bolt throw. The total weight of it minus the optic will be under 6lbs with that short of a barrel. Probably closer to 5.5 lbs.

Now if my budget was yours, I’d have $600 extra to spend on glass and ammo.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
@tam9492 I still haven’t shot this action yet since I’m still waiting on my barrel, but if it proves to be ridged enough without the bridge, this is what I’ll be doing next. And in terms of custom rifles, heck even some factory rifles, this is cheap.

Tikka t3x lite in 6.5 creedmoor- $700
Have Karl mill the action and chop and thread the barrel to 16”- $300ish
Mountain Tactical bolt shroud- $60
MTN Gear titanium bolt handle- $70
Tikka vertical grip- $40
Mountain Tactical cheek riser kit- $50
Mountain Tactical trigger spring- $10
Shipping/taxes/transfer fees $150ish

That’s $1,380 so far. A defiance anti is $1,000 and a trigger is another $150 totaling $1,150 before taxes and transfer fees which will most likely add at least another $100 to it. So I’m paying $130 more for a customized tikka action that weighs 1.5 ounces more than the defiance anti XM length action AND I get a trigger, barrel, mag and stock with that extra $130 along with almost zero wait time and a short bolt throw. The total weight of it minus the optic will be under 6lbs with that short of a barrel. Probably closer to 5.5 lbs.

Now if my budget was yours, I’d have $600 extra to spend on glass and ammo.
This makes sense. I haven’t looked into ways to use the factory stock. A new stock adds a nice chunk of change to the bill. Thanks for the details!

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
I missed that. If you find one used for that you better be quick! Good luck with the build whatever you do. 👍👍
Thanks! The Superlites were just on sale for cheaper than the SS Lites. That may be tempting too.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I looked up photos of @Sadler’s rifle. Although the weight savings is impressive, I don’t think I would be doing any milling on my rifle that would so drastically limit my scope mounting options.

z987k

WKR
Why not just buy a Sako Carbonlight? A bit more money but comes ready to shoot now and it’s basically already a semi custom Tikka.

It will be lighter than a semi custom Tikka, already comes with 20” fluted stainless barrel, flush mount stainless magazine, and aluminum bottom metal. Not to mention they build the action length for the cartridge it shoots which saves weight on short and medium actions and the cycling is shorter.
Adjust the trigger down to 2 lbs and go hunt with it.

My Carbonlight bare weight photo below. It was 6 lbs 12 ounces full of ammo and ready to hunt with a Meopta 1” scope and Talley rings.

View attachment 358288
Because the chambering offerings suck and the twist rate and free bore are like its still 1975.

For what a carbon lite costs you can have a wildly better tikka.

renagde

WKR
Something about piecing together a firearm that gives you a sense of satisfaction. I went down this road a little over a year. Mine is still a work in progress but it's fun to tinker with and so far shoots better than I do. Here's my build list:

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor found on sale for $499
McMillan Game Hunter Carbon stock used for $500
Cut and threaded the barrel to 19" $125
Bushnell LRTS 3-12 $599
Hawkins Rings $150
Elay Precision Trigger Spring $10
High Velocity Hunting Australia Carbon Bolt Handle and Adjustable Bolt Stop $120
LRI Bolt Fluting $50
Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal $100

So without scope and rings I'm sitting at about $1400. At some point I'm going to rebarrel (I went 6.5 because that was the only caliber that was on sale) so add in $700 or so for a carbon prefit and I'm right at $2100. I knew going in this is what I was going to spend and I had a hard time finding any rifle in the $2000 range that came in around the same weight, had a carbon stock with vertical grip and had a factory carbon barrel. The Savage 110 ultralight came out since then but I hate Savage actions. The Christensen Arms Ridgeline is close but doesn't have a stock with a vertical grip. And the Seekins Havak is a little less but doesn't have a carbon fiber barrel (not a deal breaker but at the time I couldn't find one in stock, otherwise I might have gone that route). Overall, I'm super happy with the rifle I shoot and I don't think I would change the route I went.

If I were you, I would go the Tikka route because this replaced a Weatherby and I'm much happier with this rifle.

Last edited:
OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Something about piecing together a firearm that gives you a sense of satisfaction. I went down this road a little over a year. Mine is still a work in progress but it's fun to tinker with and so far shoots better than I do. Here's my build list:

Tikka T3x Lite 6.5 Creedmoor found on sale for $499
McMillan Game Hunter Carbon stock used for $500
Cut and threaded the barrel to 19" $125
Bushnell LRTS 3-12 $599
Hawkins Rings $150
Elay Precision Trigger Spring $10
High Velocity Hunting Australia Carbon Bolt Handle and Adjustable Bolt Stop $120
LRI Bolt Fluting $50
Mountain Tactical Bottom Metal $100

So without scope and rings I'm sitting at about $1400. At some point I'm going to rebarrel (I went 6.5 because that was the only caliber that was on sale) so add in $700 or so for a carbon prefit and I'm right at $2100. I knew going in this is what I was going to spend and I had a hard time finding any rifle in the $2000 range that came in around the same weight, had a carbon stock with vertical grip and had a factory carbon barrel. The Savage 110 ultralight came out since then but I hate Savage actions. The Christensen Arms Ridgeline is close but doesn't have a stock with a vertical grip. And the Seekins Havak is a little less but doesn't have a carbon fiber barrel (not a deal breaker but at the time I couldn't find one in stock, otherwise I might have gone that route). Overall, I'm super happy with the rifle I shoot and I don't think I would change the route I went.

If I were you, I would go the Tikka route because this replaced a Weatherby and I'm much happier with this rifle.
There’s absolutely something about piecing it together that interests me, but I’m not sure I’m interested enough that I’m not getting the best value. Still, a production rifle just seems a little more ‘boring’. Also good to know that you made the move from a Weatherby and were happy with that decision.

renagde

WKR
There’s absolutely something about piecing it together that interests me, but I’m not sure I’m interested enough that I’m not getting the best value. Still, a production rifle just seems a little more ‘boring’. Also good to know that you made the move from a Weatherby and were happy with that decision.
The way I looked at is was I wanted an aftermarket stock, I wanted a lightweight stock with a vertical grip. So my options were piece one together or try to find a factory rifle that came with a McMillan or similar. I don't think there is a production rifle in existence with a McMillan stock that weighs in the 6lb range for less than $1400 so that's how I justified my spending. Other's peoples priorities will be different and will dictate whether or not it's worthwhile.

Lawnboi

WKR
The positive of the tikka is you can buy it and shoot it as is, and make changes as you see fit, and as you go. Vs a build you collect parts and wait.

Fwiw I have one full custom build that I collected parts for and put together. It has nothing on my tikka builds. Not a thing.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'm gonna be the black sheep and say having Karl do exactly what I wanted on a Tikka action is the best money I've ever invested into a rifle, and I couldn't be happier. Bartlein #3b barrel chambered in 280 Ackley, added straight flutes, fluted bolt, Karl's brake, Mesa precision stock. It's not a featherweight but it's comfortable to pack and shoots lights out. I will throw an advisory that building a 280ai on a Tikka action with a factory mag setup limits that cartridge if you're a reloader looking to get all you can, but I knew that going into the build and it fit my criteria.
20211018_073009.jpg20211016_172300.jpg20211016_172326.jpg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Because the chambering offerings suck and the twist rate and free bore are like its still 1975.

For what a carbon lite costs you can have a wildly better tikka.
Chambering offerings are great killing cartridges. Twist rate and free bore are fine, unless you’re under the misguided theory that you “need” to push the heaviest bullets possible as fast as possible in order to kill. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Chambering offerings are great killing cartridges. Twist rate and free bore are fine, unless you’re under the misguided theory that you “need” to push the heaviest bullets possible as fast as possible in order to kill. This couldn’t be further from the truth.
The truth is that you're approaching this argument from a very narrow perspective in terms of the broad spectrum of hunting and shooting.
You might be happy shooting 180 grain round nose bricks with 1/3 of the bearing surface stuffed below the neck shoulder junction (donut area), and sacrificing long range ballistics by shooting really low bc bullets in slow twist barrels.
If you aren't into precision shooting and long range hunting then it's all good, but many of us are and we realize the benefits of custom tailored details that suit our requirements

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The truth is that you're approaching this argument from a very narrow perspective in terms of the broad spectrum of hunting and shooting.
You might be happy shooting 180 grain round nose bricks with 1/3 of the bearing surface stuffed below the neck shoulder junction (donut area), and sacrificing long range ballistics by shooting really low bc bullets in slow twist barrels.
If you aren't into precision shooting and long range hunting then it's all good, but many of us are and we realize the benefits of custom tailored details that suit our requirements.
I’m approaching it based on the guys stated requirements in his original post. I think you and others may be the self focused and narrow minded ones. Simply read his requirements and you’ll learn why I suggested what I have.

Edit: Also, you don’t know what you don’t know. You have zero knowledge of my shooting and killing background. Assumptions are childish.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Found a Rem 700 Ti in .270 locally that may just be the ticket. Within budget, awesome rifle as-is and plenty of upgrades available if I would ever want to do so.