Convince me this Tikka build makes sense

Antares

WKR
Found a Rem 700 Ti in .270 locally that may just be the ticket. Within budget, awesome rifle as-is and plenty of upgrades available if I would ever want to do so.

Boooo! I thought we were talking about a tricked out Tikka build!

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Boooo! I thought we were talking about a tricked out Tikka build!
I know, I know. But something about 700 TIs gets me, and I didn’t think I’d be able to find one with much wiggle room in the budget. Turns out there’s one with factory box in the neighboring county!

I’m approaching it based on the guys stated requirements in his original post. I think you and others may be the self focused and narrow minded ones. Simply read his requirements and you’ll learn why I suggested what I have.

Edit: Also, you don’t know what you don’t know. You have zero knowledge of my shooting and killing background. Assumptions are childish.
wtf-icegif-2.gif

Jjmayes83

FNG
Here's my 2 cents(not that my opinion matters at all) throughout this post you brought up multiple different guns. From everything I've read it seems to be more about weight then the brand or model of gun. So if you're just looking for a lightweight accurate. But not stupid accurate (your words) rifle then save yourself money and just buy a stock gun that meets all of the above a few people mentioned a few of them in the posts. And ill give you another one I own and love a savage 110 lightweight storm you can get it in multiple calibers its 5.6 pounds stock mines under 7 pounds cost around 700.00 and then throw a light weight scope and rings on it and everything you wanted and nearly 1000 dollars cheaper

If you put an ultralight scope on a factory tikka, you will have a gun that is very much light enough and still easy enough to shoot. I personally would not spend the money. My ultralight weapon is a t3 30-06 with a SWFA ultralight scope. If wildcat composites would ship me a stock I’d consider it…but as is I can still shoot 500 yards when needed.
Wildcat is heavy, their ultralight comes in at 17.5 ounces without a recoil pad or paint.
Add those two and your pretty much at the same weight of agcomposites privateer stock which comes in at 24ounces with recoil pad and paint.

Seeknelk

WKR
Wildcat is heavy, their ultralight comes in at 17.5 ounces without a recoil pad or paint.
Add those two and your pretty much at the same weight of agcomposites privateer stock which comes in at 24ounces with recoil pad and paint.
If the wildcat is a heavy stock, what's a light one?

If the wildcat is a heavy stock, what's a light one?
Not heavy but instead of adding everything up on the wildcat, I’d go with an agcomposites privateer stock at 24 ounces and comes ready to just put your barreled action in and go.
no added paint, no added sling studs, no added recoil pad and recoil lug which all this would probably put you in the same weight if not more than this.

Last edited:

KU_Geo

WKR
I'm gonna be the black sheep and say having Karl do exactly what I wanted on a Tikka action is the best money I've ever invested into a rifle, and I couldn't be happier. Bartlein #3b barrel chambered in 280 Ackley, added straight flutes, fluted bolt, Karl's brake, Mesa precision stock. It's not a featherweight but it's comfortable to pack and shoots lights out. I will throw an advisory that building a 280ai on a Tikka action with a factory mag setup limits that cartridge if you're a reloader looking to get all you can, but I knew that going into the build and it fit my criteria.
View attachment 358956View attachment 358957View attachment 358958
Did Carl spin down the barrel shank or just machine the taper off the action face? Also, did he have to open up the Mesa stock at all to fit the barrel contour?

Seeknelk

WKR
Not heavy but instead of adding everything up on the wildcat, I’d go with an agcomposites privateer stock at 24 ounces and comes ready to just put your barreled action in and go.
no added paint, no added sling studs, no added recoil pad and recoil lug which all this would probably put you in the same weight if not more than this.
Right on, thanks! I am honestly curious if there is something lighter and better out there than the factory stock. Like a kimber mt type.
I don't love the looks of the factory one but it feels and functions awesome to me. Recoil control is great with it..
I have an ag alpine on a different rifle and I like it but that's a heavier type.

madcalfe

WKR
I've had 2 wildcat stocks which both came in a 19.5oz after paint and 1" decelerator recoil pad. just have to ask Stewart to go light at possible.

Unfortunately Stuart is not shipping to the states still. I love his stocks. Well made, and very light. But, you have to do some work yourself. Looks like the privateer is the next best option stateside.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Did Carl spin down the barrel shank or just machine the taper off the action face? Also, did he have to open up the Mesa stock at all to fit the barrel contour?
Work was done to the barrel. No, I ordered it from Mesa and specified #3* contour. It actually came with the wrong inletting and Karl let me know, Mesa checked my order and owned the mistake and cranked out a new one shipped in 2 weeks.