Convince me this Tikka build makes sense

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Pretty sure a bad ass weatherby carbon stock custom shop in 280 ai popped up in the guns classifieds recently too. Might be over budget don’t remember.
Sorry it sold. No surprise.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Pretty sure he stated a 2k max on price. That's 1k over budget.
I’ve seen them on sale for $2,499 or used for even cheaper. By the time he keeps messing around with a Tikka and all the stuff he wants to do he will be in for it $2,500 easily.

If you put an ultralight scope on a factory tikka, you will have a gun that is very much light enough and still easy enough to shoot. I personally would not spend the money. My ultralight weapon is a t3 30-06 with a SWFA ultralight scope. If wildcat composites would ship me a stock I’d consider it…but as is I can still shoot 500 yards when needed.

If you put an ultralight scope on a factory tikka, you will have a gun that is very much light enough and still easy enough to shoot. I personally would not spend the money. My ultralight weapon is a t3 30-06 with a SWFA ultralight scope. If wildcat composites would ship me a stock I’d consider it…but as is I can still shoot 500 yards when needed.

Yep. The swfa UL has been very reliable for me. Combine that w Talley lightweights on a super lite tikka and it's a pretty light gun

Sled

WKR
Yep. The swfa UL has been very reliable for me. Combine that w Talley lightweights on a super lite tikka and it's a pretty light gun

I agree with that but noticed my Talley rings slowly getting replaced in favor of the sportsmatch. I like using the integrated rail and find it's nice to be able to unmount and remount the scope while still in the rings. No more re leveling leaves more time to shoot.

SDHNTR

WKR
Sinking $2000 into a Tikka makes little sense to me personally. Slapping a good scope on it and just going hunting does, if a Tikka is what you want. It’s a mid budget production rifle (not that there’s anything wrong with that) and you’re trying to turn it into something it’s not. If you want a custom gun you don’t have to spend that much more money to get a better quality custom build.

6lbs scoped is just not realistic too. Even if you could get there, it would not be accurate at any distance under field conditions. 8-9lbs makes so much more sense.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d agree that all that milling and extra fluting isn’t worth it. Either is slapping a sporter style stock on it. From what I’m reading, I’d buy a super lite in whatever, slap a light reliable scope on it and save some cash. I personally can’t stand cycling a weatherby.

I can wrap my head around a new stock on a tikka, and a bottom metal, even a nice paint job. But to spend all that money on milling off a quarter pound….

I also think your estimates are really light, price wise, especially when you consider shipping.

This is coming from a guy who has spent way too much on upgrading tikkas.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Appreciate all the replies on this one so far - lots to think about, but mostly confirming what I initially though.

kipper09

WKR
I’ve went back and forth on this a ton. The t3 action is a great action. About every tikka seems to shoot pretty dang well. I just can’t get it in my head that rebarreling and putting a new stock on it and doing all the upgrades is really worth it.

It’s a 6-6.5 lb rifle that will usually shoot as well as anything you can buy. I think I’m gonna slap a real good optic on mine and just go hunting. But I know myself and give it 3 months and I’ll do a 180 and be ordering parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stvnshnn

Lil-Rokslider
Just shoot a great Tikka as is. I loved my T3 stainless .30-06. Killed absolutely everything I shot at.
Bought a used Sako 85 Finnlight last year for $1050 on here. Put a VW3i on it, 8 pounds 3 ounces for the .300wm. Very shootable gun, and I wouldn’t want it any lighter. I also have had pretty good luck finding reloading components. So i shoot it often. It’s twin is for sale on here right now for a couple hundred more. With your budget, you could buy it (comes with rings) and pick up a good scope and never think about Tikka again.
I also have a 5 pound Kimber, in 7mm-08. It takes every bit of my attention and skill to shoot it 1moa. I always hesitate to bring it when I know the Sako shoots so well and will be more steady after I climb a hill or two. Beware of the “I can go lighter” bug, especially if you’re coming from an archery background.
My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
A lot of comments on the super lite vs stainless. One thing to consider is that if you ever want to shorten the bbl and thread, your SOL with the super lite. Maybe an inch or so but no 22" or shorter. I sold one that I planned to chop and add a suppressor on the end. Eventually I picked up a regular t3x, chopped to 20" and threaded 1/2x28. You can get 9/16 but if I recall you'll need to lose a couple more inches.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
I will say my thoughts on weight are slightly outdated for me. I loath traditional slings over the shoulder, especially with a heavier gun. Often times, I’d just carry the gun in-hand as terrain allowed. This year I used the Kifaru gun bearer, and it was so much more enjoyable, even with a heavier gun. I need to keep that in mind.

About it the lightest stock I've been able to find in the US that has a good reputation, is the AG privateer. That will save you about 4-5 oz. Put it on a super lite with a light scope, and you could be at 6.5 scoped. That's about the easiest way to save weight on a Tikka.

BjornF16

WKR
Can you elaborate? What rifle and cartridge? How many rounds? Dial or holdover?

I’ve been tempted by the SWFA UL but haven’t really seen much data on reliability...

I’ve been tempted by the SWFA UL but haven’t really seen much data on reliability...
I've had it on a Tikka 7mm08 for about 1.5 years.... Probably 400 rounds of 145gr at 2750. It's been bounced around and dropped etc hunting and has held zero. I haven't done any dialing test with it. I just practice holdover with that one

Sled

WKR

The ones I've tried didn't well work for me due to limited eye relief. Never had faith in the newer Leupolds for dialing and the other ul scopes didn't have the features I wanted. So, I gave up on the ul scopes and went with a tract toric. It's about 20oz all up but has a modular turret and capped windage plus mine has been reliable dialing.

I’ve got the BDC version on my T3 lite 30-06 shooting hammer bullets absolute hammer 151gr at 3130fps from the factory tube. It’s been beat up pretty good for a year. Multiple airline flights, backpacking trips, a broken sling and the barrel slamming a rock…full confidence it holding zero. And the BDC works well for 500ish yards (killed a buck at 520) which is my max for this gun anyways,