Convince me to buy a bow

Alright so I’ve always been a Mathews guy, sold my z7xtreme last year and got the triax and I’m not happy with it. Have never felt comfortable shooting it and I’ve now shot and lost 2 bucks under this bow. I’m not at all blaming the bow completely but comfort and confidence is key. I treestand Hunt in Ohio for whitetails and I like a shorter Axel to axel bow. What I’m lookin for is first hand regular joe experience and suggestions. I’m leaning towards a Hoyt....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my HOYT’s. Carbon spyder turbo is a very compact rig. I went big with a 34 for an update and it shoots well for me. Fondled the new rx4. I couldn’t honestly tell you how different it is from my 2015 bow but I am sure they have come up with some good stuff.

What's your draw length? If it's long that may a contributing factor.
Consider the changes in the two bows, 2" shorter ata and a 1" shorter brace height.
Neither favor a long armed guy. Not to mention going from a solo cam to twin.
The long braced solo cams were some of the best feeling bows ever, IMO.
There's nothing wrong with finding what suits you best and sticking with it, forget the flavor of the year. You already know it, confidence with your equipment is priceless.

OP
Allen-samsal19
28” draw. Don’t need the flavor of the year although that’s what made me buy this bow lol just looking for personal experience advice such as his above where the older model is just as good don’t run out and buy a brand new VXR just get this, stuff like that. Also like your advice bout ata and that I’m not super technical when it comes to that stuff but it makes sense

KHNC

WKR
You should check out a Realm or Realm X from Bowtech. Also , the new Revolt is getting great reviews by the guys i know who have tried them. I personally have not shot one yet. But i have the Realm X and the Reckoning that the Revolt line is based off of. Awesome bows! One shop owner i know said the Revolt line is the best of all of the new ones. Its an Ohio shop as well.

KHNC

WKR
Why don’t you go shoot them all? The alternative is to post here and listen to all the fan boys and pro staffers tell you that whatever they shoot or get a discount to shoot is the best ever.
Absolutely! LOL

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just about everyone makes a good bow these days. Just depends on what you want and what's important to you. You have to make that determination.

You need to go shoot a bunch of new bows and let the bow pick you. I did this several years back thinking I would buy a Hoyt. I hated the Hoyt bows and came home with a Mathews Heli-m. It’s still my primary bow and I am very confident in it. Not looking to change bows any time soon.

nphunter

WKR
I love my Hoyts, most comfortable grip out there for me. I have switched to a couple of different brands over the years but always end up with a Hoyt. I would definitely try to shot one and see if you like it, I have a buddy that still shoots a Z7 and loves it. I'm shooting a 2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo and have been very happy with it and don't plan on switching any time soon. Bows haven't changed enough in the past 6-8 years to worry that your missing out on some big improvements.

golfbum

WKR
loving my ritual 30’s.

I own two and was looking to trade/sell one for a longer ata ritual 33/35 but did not have any takers. Probably a blessing in disguise because the 30’s flat out shoot!!!!

Just shoot a bunch and then shoot them again and then again. Make sure to space time between them and really think about what you liked and what you didn't. Maybe you keep your current bow, maybe you don't.

I have owned hoyt, diamond, bowtech and now prime. I just shoot what feels good to me.

I am a treestand hunter and have really like my CT3. I have been extremely accurate with it during high pressure situations and I attribute that to the fit. I have a 28 inch draw as well.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve always shot Hoyt, till this year. Picked up a Mathews Traverse and it is just a smooth great shooting bow.

Go shoot bows and see what feels the best, don’t go off what shoots best for myself and others.

fatlander

WKR
If you’re buying a Hoyt, and it’s not a 2015 or prior model, you’re over paying. 2014 and 2015 were probably the best years for Hoyt in the past 10 years and maybe ever. Those bows are lights out and didn’t have issues (unlike every release since). I’ve had a lot of bows in the past few years, most of them brand new. They’re all gone and what’s left is a 2015 nitrum and 2014 faktor turbo.

It's better to ask what bow is everyone shooting and what DO NOT like about it? It thins out the brand loyal leg humpers and gets feed back from guys honest enough to say what pitfalls their bows have. I don't like short ATA bows, so I can't recommend any particular model. I'd recommend not leaning towards any particular brand. Shoot every bow with specs you like and get the one that feels best to you.

mlgc20

WKR
Agree with the many folks advising to go shoot em all. I went in a couple of years ago thinking I was going to get a Bowtech Realm. I ended up with the Mathews Triax. And while I really liked the Bowtech and the Hoyt, the decision was quite easy. I wasn't a fan of the Elite or Prime offerings. But, I never would have known without shooting them. And someone else's experience shooting the same bows could reasonably come to a completely different conclusion. And when I'm ready to replace the Triax, I will go and shoot everything again. I won't just get a Mathews because my previous bow was a Mathews.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
Ok Smoke. I have owned 4-5 Hoyts and really loved them all. Then I bought an OK Archery target bow, and fell out of love with my Hoyts. In my opinion OK Archery is far better than any Hoyt, Matthews, PSE, etc. The finish, the feel, the draw, way better than the others. I recently ordered the OK Smoke, not here yet, but can't wait for it to get here. I too do not like the short ATA bows. The Smoke is 34", wish it was an inch or two longer, but damn does it draw smooth and shoots just as smooth, the one I demoed. Check them out, slightly higher price than the others, but worth every penny.

Too many great bows out right now to stick with one manufacturer. Like others have said, go shoot them all and find out for yourself what one fits you best. Here are a few good models to try out;

• Hoyt RX-4 Ultra
  • Hoyt Helix Turbo
  • PSE Carbon Air Stealth Mach 1
  • PSE EVO NXT 31
  • Prime Black 3
  • Mathews VXR 31.5

PennDude

FNG
I just replaced my Mathews DXT (28” ATA) with a Halon 32/6. Every time I shoot my new Halon 32, I’m blown away at how well it shoots and how steady it holds. It’s also a barn burner at my 27” draw length and crazy accurate. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I’ve shot the Traverse, Triax, and Vertix. The Halon 32 bests them all.