Convincing your wife

Sobrbiker

WKR
When I got my inReach my wife was more comfortable with me heading out for a 5day solo hunt than she had been with me heading out solo for day hunts prior.
I’d advise against checking in at precise times, it adds something to worry about and sets anxiety for her if you’re late. I just say I’ll send one in morning and night, and if you don’t hear anything for over 18hrs start trying to reach me and if that doesn’t work, implement plan.
Explaining to her the SOS function alleviated a lot of her concern, as did seeing she can see location each time I send her a preset.

Carr5vols

WKR
If she understands you are capable and safe with a correct communication device should help comfort her. Ask her what is she worried about then have a good response. She probably don't understand that bears, lions, etc. are really not out to get you.

I travel the world by myself (job) and my wife understands that other countries I go to are way more dangerous than being a few hours from the truck on the side of a mountain in a very safe country.

go_deep

WKR
Any advise on trying to convince your wife to let you go on solo out of state hunts? I’d like to try some solo mule deer hunting next year but the wife doesn’t seem to like the idea.. don’t really have any buddies that would be up for the task. But I’d like to go solo anyways. Any advice guys?

A substantially large life insurance policy paid up past your hunt date might change her mind 🤣😂🤣

My wife use to worry too, I just kept going, she got over it.

Last edited:
I tell my wife when I’m leaving and when I expect to be home. She doesn’t usually even know where I’m going. I try to call her when I have cell service.

If she understands you are capable and safe with a correct communication device should help comfort her. Ask her what is she worried about then have a good response. She probably don't understand that bears, lions, etc. are really not out to get you.
Also - this is a great way to get a new, large bore handgun. "Theses super smart outdoors guys on rokslide told me I'd be totally safe if I was carrying a new 10mm."

Any advise on trying to convince your wife to let you go on solo out of state hunts? I’d like to try some solo mule deer hunting next year but the wife doesn’t seem to like the idea.. don’t really have any buddies that would be up for the task. But I’d like to go solo anyways. Any advice guys?
You need to learn how to keep a secret.

If the wife is already wearing the pants, you can only lie...buy an InReach to send nightly text messages and go solo. Married men must learn it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

I’m going to start a company where we rent “hunting partners” by the week. Cash cow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gexpro

WKR
In my situation I just went, regardless. InReach helped keep her worries down a bit.
My background, and upbringing has always revolved around the wilderness.
When my wife and I married, she sort of knew what she was getting into..

Get an Inreach and go. I had previously carried a PLB (one way SOS communication only), and told her “if you don’t hear anything, I’m fine.”

A buddy of mine’s wife had a seizure and required emergency brain surgery shortly before I went on an elk hunt last year. That made me pick up an Inreach so she could get ahold of me as well. Would hate to come out of the woods after a week to that.

You could also probably find a guy on here willing to say he’d be willing to come pull your truck out if you get stuck in the snow on a forest road, etc. Obviously we know there isn’t a whole lot anybody can actually do, but it might put her mind at ease.

For some reason, using facts and logic like how you’re more likely to get killed driving around town to work than being out there, so you’re actually safer while you’re out hunting doesn’t seem to help much. :)

Haven't been in that exact situation but my thoughts about it are that she probably cares about you and your wellbeing. She's not out of line so maybe just communicate that for your mental wellbeing it would be beneficial to go out hunting? It may help if you have an inreach to communicate with her when your up on the mountain.

My wife can be pretty clingy but she also respects the fact that I really enjoy hunting so she even helps me find new areas.
Nah, women are jealous creatures. She’s just as pissed as my wife because she hasn’t figured out an awesome hobby where she could disappear for a few days...

Best to take her on a fancy outing just for her and then ask. I found diamonds helped me...

I got an inreach but my wife never would text back, unless she wanted to know where our extra credit cards were...

dtrkyman

WKR
In Reach and go, can’t help much otherwise as my wife and I each do what we like!

nphunter

WKR
One thing about ID is that cell service is crap in most of it. I've done a couple of solo trips and several trips with my two young kids. When I took the kids I made sure to hunt in an area where we could drive out a ways and call the wife every night to check-in. When solo I just make a plan on how often I will contact her and she's pretty good about that.

Definitely have a clear communication plan and stick to it, I learned that the hard way, me and a buddy went on a spring bear hunt with 5 young kids. There was a miscommunication with our wives about when we would be home and we were in Hell's canyon so there was zero services. Search and Rescue was called, they were just mobilizing when we got to a spot on the way out that we had cell service and our phones blew up. Luckily they didn't have to waste a bunch of time looking for us, it was a little embarrassing but a good lesson learned.

I’m going to start a company where we rent “hunting partners” by the week. Cash cow.

Do it but be very selective when interviewing potential staffers...they must be first class!

apinic66p__57121.1606752666.jpg

dtrkyman

WKR
I keep in contact while gone, I warn her ahead of time if I will be out of service for multiple days, she will typically ask when she should worry and I give her a time frame.

I do not have an inreach, but typically cell service is not too far off. Climbed a couple gnarly peaks to check for service, most times it works.

I truck camp mostly so it is easier for me than someone spiking in for a week.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
My wife had no issues with me going solo to CO, but having an Inreach helped keep her worries down. I’d text her a few times a day and let her know how I was doing just to make sure she knew I was alright and to bs a bit. I actually still keep the minimum plan active when I’m back home in VA since I/we sometimes go place’s with crap service and it’s nice to have an “o sh^t” button or way to communicate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk