Convincing your wife

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Any advise on trying to convince your wife to let you go on solo out of state hunts? I’d like to try some solo mule deer hunting next year but the wife doesn’t seem to like the idea.. don’t really have any buddies that would be up for the task. But I’d like to go solo anyways. Any advice guys?

Haven't been in that exact situation but my thoughts about it are that she probably cares about you and your wellbeing. She's not out of line so maybe just communicate that for your mental wellbeing it would be beneficial to go out hunting? It may help if you have an inreach to communicate with her when your up on the mountain.

My wife can be pretty clingy but she also respects the fact that I really enjoy hunting so she even helps me find new areas.

Being able to communicate in field with your spouse is huge.
I have an inReach which solved this issue.
When you text her she will know your exact spot.
I usually send an update in the morning and at night.
Her knowing I have the SOS features makes her feel reassured.

She supports me when I go hunting. She won't say no. She knows where I am going on day 1 but after that I could be anywhere depending upon where I find game. Her knowing where I am just makes sense. For her reassurance and my safety.

Get an inReach mini and try to arrange a hunt with the Rally Point forum here on Rokslide.

I've got three little kids and so my wife is usually a bit hesitant for me to get way out in the backcountry with no communication. That said , she understands the corollary to "happy wife, happy life." I'm a much better husband and father if I get time out in the woods. Communication has been the biggest thing for us, if I can either use an inreach or find cell coverage to check in once or twice a day things are much better. Hunting with friends is better yet, but sometimes it doesn't work out.

Chad E

WKR
An inreach is great piece of mind and I wouldn't think of going without one. I have a couple good friends I've gone out of state with but we cant always match our schedules. So I did my first solo out of state hunt earlier this month. I was honest with my wife that there are a lot of hunts that I want to go on that I simply can't find someone to go with so it comes down to either going solo or not going. She knows that these hunts are important to me a supports me doing it. In return I do my absolute best to play it safe and not take any unnecessary chances. Ive got two young daughters at home and I certainly weigh risk differently now than I did a few years ago.

Lastly, get a device sooner than later. You can start using it on hunts and hikes. She will get accustomed to you checking in.

Build the trust/confidence now.

I take it on road trips. Nice to have especially in the those dead spots with no cell reception.

AKBorn

WKR
Any advise on trying to convince your wife to let you go on solo out of state hunts? I’d like to try some solo mule deer hunting next year but the wife doesn’t seem to like the idea.. don’t really have any buddies that would be up for the task. But I’d like to go solo anyways. Any advice guys?

You know your wife a lot better than we do...

Take a hard look in the mirror - do you typically make calm and rational decisions, or does she sometimes have to reel in your exuberance? Are you the one that typically says "let's step back and think about this before we act too hastily", or is she? Are there any recent (past 2-3 years) actions you've taken that made the wife shake her head, and made you say "yea, that wasn't the smartest thing I ever did..."

Try to determine WHY she doesn't like the idea, and you'll be partway to figuring out the best way to discuss it with her. If (after thinking about the questions above) you find that perhaps you do make impulsive decisions that don't end well from time to time, might want to rethink this from that perspective.

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
First thing first, make sure you're pulling your weight on the home front, getting your shit done, leading the family, etc. Make sure she feels like you've heard her concerns and not just ignored them to go do whatever you want.

Then buy an InReach / Spot and start off small, do some solo overnights close by, whatever. Even take her with you on one. When you go for real, make sure you've got a game plan of where you'll be, know the area, when she can expect you to check in etc. When you're in the field, make sure to keep in communication with her so she feels comfortable.

mlgc20

WKR
As others have pointed out, an InReach is a must. I've done so many solo trips she really doesn't think anything about it any more. One thing I have done is make her part of the process. She texts me the next days weather report every evening for my area. It was a built in communication point for us. And it gave her some familiarity with where I was and what I was facing. Also, the InReach will include your GPS coordinates. My kids love looking up where Dad is. These little things all make it seem less scary that Dad is out in the woods by himself.

Also, after all of my solo trips, I offer to let my wife take a weekend and go do a girls weekend or just take the weekend off from the usual stuff around the house. I do the cooking, kids stuff, etc. It gives her a well deserved break and something to look forward to while I am gone.

Fitzwho

WKR
As stated above, an InReach (especially the tracker feature) is what got me out hunting solo years ago. My wife found it reassuring for the first hunt or two, now she doesn't even want me to send her the tracking link. I end up sending that to my dad and/or brother so they can see where I'm at. I still use the Inreach to check in with my wife whenever I don't have service, and when I do have good service I'll Facetime my wife and daughter (3) to put them and myself at ease. I make every decision based on making sure I get home to my family in one piece.

The InReach people don't mess around, I let my brother borrow mine for a hunt a couple years ago. He accidentally turned on the SOS beacon and they were immediately on the phone to me, freaked me out, but they were just about to send a helicopter to pick him up when he realized and got it cancelled.

Surprised no one has mentioned food. Cook her up some bomb ass wild game meals! Do more than steaks and potatoes or pot roast. Smoked elk meatballs, barbacoa, dressed up burgers, carpacio....the list goes on. Make it good and make it known what is required to continue the feast! And if your wife "doesnt like wild game" you either a) need to get read up on field and kitchen prep or b) throw her to the curb haha...jj. But seriously, my wife supports the craziness due in part because the time I put in on the grill and kitchen.

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Appreciate all the feedback! Yeah definitely been thinking of picking up an inreach. This year I’m trying to do a weekend up in the National forest so hopefully that will be a small step. I guess she can be clingy at times. Yes I’m sure she would appreciate knowing I’m safe. We do have two young kids at home so I know handling them and working is tough. My parents are always there to help though I could arrange for that as well. I do agree that I feel that me doing hunts will help my mental well being. And if she would not let me go or giving me a hard time about it will definitely make me give her some sort of resentment and that’s not what I want to do nor would I do it on purpose. Most of the time we’re always doing things what she wants to do. She’s always planning things with friends to do which I could do mostly with out doing so much.. but it’s what she wants. I would say I pull my weight around the house picking daughter up from school. I’m the cook also so sometimes when I’m not there she has a hard time we’ll see.. I’ll make it work!

OP
P

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
Surprised no one has mentioned food. Cook her up some bomb ass wild game meals! Do more than steaks and potatoes or pot roast. Smoked elk meatballs, barbacoa, dressed up burgers, carpacio....the list goes on. Make it good and make it known what is required to continue the feast! And if your wife "doesnt like wild game" you either a) need to get read up on field and kitchen prep or b) throw her to the curb haha...jj. But seriously, my wife supports the craziness due in part because the time I put in on the grill and kitchen.
Of course man! That’s all I do! I’m always cooking up something good. She loves it!

brsnow

WKR
My wife doesn’t have an issue with it. She also will travel solo from time to time as well. Find a nice trip for her as well. Marriage is a partnership.

JakeSCH

WKR
Everyone above has great advice, recommend all of them. In addition, show her the price of guided out of state hunts. If she would rather you spend the money, well do that to make her comfortable...if she says no way to the money then say that you can do it on your own for much cheaper.

nobody

WKR
Tell her she can come with if she doesn't want you going alone. Then she may reconsider....