Cooking Elk

Jaker_cc

WKR
What are some of your favorite recipes for cooking elk. I just got my bull back and my gf has never eaten elk before. I’m trying to find a few new ways to prepare it. I’ve got roasts, steaks, bone in shanks, ground, and whole tenderloins. LOTS OF IT

Calbuck

WKR
I'm sure there are much more sophisticated ways to cook than mine, but I like to marinate some steaks in Yeri-Yeri teriyaki for a while, season and cook on my Traeger. I personally think the key to wild game cooking is to not overcook it. The best part is that you have a lot of meat, so you can experiment with different recipes. Enjoy!

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I hope I get one in a couple of weeks when my season starts!

Date Night Dinner for a Dude to Cook

Elk Backstrap with Avocado Cream and Huckleberry Flambe

Ingredients (doctor as you see fit to suit taste)
Backstrap (12- 16" long)
Dry rub
Use a good home made dry rub, one you might use on beef ribs with a little heat in it - a pinch of cayenne, not too much cumin or chili powder, but a good mix of paprika, chili powder, black pepper, garlic powder, roughly equal amts
4 avocados
1/2 - 3/4 c. sour cream
1/8 c. fresh lime juice
Huckleberry jam or other berry of your choice - not strawberry.
Sapphire gin or other good gin

Method:
Slow roast in oven @ 225-250 or on BBQ until desired doneness - med rare is best for this.

While meat cooks, make avocado cream by smooshing avocados super smooth (immersion blender) with sour cream or yogurt and a touch of lime juice.

When meat is done, slice so that 2-3 slices is a serving (depending upon diameter of backstrap), place in stainless fry pan - blast quickly with super high heat, spoon on some huckleberry jam so that it liquifies a bit, abnd heats to hot without burning.

MOVE PAN AWAY FROM STOVE AT LEAT 2-3 FEET OR YOU'LL SINGE YOUR EYEBROWS, BEARD, CHEST HAIR... OFF! THEN..
Pour in a slosh or three of gin, and light with butane kitchenbbq lighter - longer handle than regular lighter
Serve IMMEDIATELY WITH AVOCADO CREAM ON SIDE.

A good red zinfandel or pinot noir works great with this!

Cook steaks in a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil. 60-90 sec max each side. Let rest, a little sea salt and black pepper is all you need.

AGPank

WKR
Biggest thing is to maintain moisture, it doesn’t have the fat beef does.

Bacon wrapped steaks
Grind bacon into burger to provide fat
Marinades - teriyaki, Italian dressing/mustard
Beef stroganoff
Country fried steak/gravy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a good thread. I posted a new recipe I tried in it also.

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
Just got done grilling up some Elk Burgers tonight, they were great. I had the meat processor add Beef Fat to my Burger meat. It was like eating a fine steak burger. My Daughter even liked them as well.

OKL

FNG
Nice work my friend. Congrats on your kill first of all. There are many ways to enjoy your elk, I prefer to put a little smoke on it. I like to cut my loin steaks about 1 ¼” thick. I apply a thin layer of olive oil and then use kosher salt with coarse black pepper (50/50 ratio). Let rest in fridge for 24 hours with rub mix. I set the smoker to 125 degrees and smoke for 1 hour. The low heat allows the smoke to penetrate the meat without overcooking. While in the smoker, I fire up the grill and get it as hot as I can. I pull the steaks out of the smoker after an hour and throw them in the grill long enough to sear both sides. Usually a minute or two per side. This method is referred to as a reverse sear. Puts out a perfect medium to medium rare steak that will never let you down. Good luck man!

BullElk

FNG
Tacos

Taco seasoning
Elk ground
Lettuce
Cheese
Sour cream
Flour tortillas fried lightly and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese
Tomatoes
La Victoria taco sauce
🌮

🍔
Grind backstrap and add bacon to grinder

Best burgers you’ll ever have!

hipshotgunslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Elk Steaks

Cut steaks the same thickness as beef steaks, not too thin.
Place in glass container
Pour about an ounce of red wine vinegar over steaks.
Pour about an ounce of olive oil over steaks
Add a little Worcestershire if u prefer
Rub your favorite seasoning into both sides, I prefer salt/pepper/Montreal Steak seasoning
Set in refrigerator at least 3 hours
Let sit out 30 minutes to take the chill off
Grill to medium rare or medium
Pull off grill, wrap in foil for 5 minutes, this matters
Enjoy the best damn steak you can imagine!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sidog

FNG
Elk steaks marinate in Italian dressing overnight wrap in bacon. Grill until bacon is done and serve. Should be great, like others have said don't over cook.

Elk Steaks: Medium rare and no more done than that. Just like you would with a good beef steak. There's been some good suggestions above and here are a couple more.

1 way). Roll the steaks in flour and then fry up in a hot pan using butter and virgin olive oil. Cook until medium rare and season with salt and pepper. They are wonderful cooked like this. You can mix things up by adding seasonings into the flour mixture in a gallon ziplock bag and then coat the steaks one at a time in the bag before putting into the pan. This is a good way to change things up. Montreal Steak seasoning and similar seasonings work well doing it like this.

2nd way). Stir 4 or 5 eggs in a glass or plastic bowl and stir in some milk. Put your thawed elk steaks in the mixture and cover the meat up with the egg mixture. Let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours if you have the time. Not necessary though.

Heat your pan and use butter and virgin olive oil in the pan. Coconut oil mixed with butter works just as well. Take a full tube of Ritz crackers and crush them by hand in the tube making sure you mash them up really good. Pour the tube onto a plate when you are done.

Now that the pan is hot take the steaks one at a time in the egg mixture making sure that piece is coated very well and then quickly take it out and roll it in the crushed crackers covering it on both sides. Then put it into the pan. Do the same with the remaining steaks.

Cook until medium rare. You can get a feel for it since you can't see the meat very any longer. When the steak is golden brown on the cracker crumb on one side it's ready to turn. Cook the same for the opposite side. Salt and pepper when finished. You will absolutely love the steak chicken fried like this.

To change things up you can also buy flavored cracker crumbs with different flavorings in the store and cook the same way. It makes it nice to try different things once in a while but Ritz crackers are my favorite. It also helps to take out any wild flavor if the meat is gamey which is a plus also.

Vids

WKR
Here's my favorite one:

Dice and brown 3-4 shallots in olive oil
Add 2 T white wine vinegar and reduce
Once reduced, kill the heat and throw in a container of crumbled blue cheese and let it melt
Throw some diced chives on top of that mixture

Grill the elk steaks

With every bite of elk, grab a little bit of that mixture with it.

That's my tradition for elk camp every year. After we get one I cook backstrap steaks that way.

88man

FNG
Just grill high heat, lots of salt/pepper little bit of> onion powder/garlic powder olive oil

Good job getting your first. It is important that the first time you cook it for your gf that you get it right. Sous vide is the absolute best way to cook game meat. A sous vide costs about $50-$100 and you'll also need a vacuum sealer. If you don't have one then just follow the recipe linked below. But, ask for one for Christmas.

Here is a great recipe by Hank Shaw for date night: https://honest-food.net/venison-steak-diane/
Hank is a hunter and has written several game cookbooks.

If you have a sous vide use it instead of steps 1 and 2, and then brown in a hot skillet for 30 seconds per side.

You will get so laid !!!

Currently on a elk pastrami kick...highly recommend...I like at least a 5lb roast...I slice up the left over and vac pack 1/2 lb portions and freeze for later use.
20191020_180805.jpg20191021_201628.jpg