Cooking fish in the backcountry

Beastmode

WKR
I love mid day fishing and eating fresh fish for dinner on scouting trips. How are you cooking fish in the backcountry? I have always brought a few pieces of aluminum foil, olive oil, salt and pepper and lay the fish on a rock placed in hot coals. With this years drought and fire bans coming early most likely, an open fire may not be an option. I know there is the frypan option but it seems messy. Just looking for other ideas.

I usually bring tin foil and cool in coals.

I have fried them in a pan too. Also cooks chunked up trout in a jet boil.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually cook mine in foil in the frypan, to avoid the clean up hassles. When weight allows I will bring butter, onions, and other seasonings, and I have been known to add a slash of white wine too if we have some handy. Wrap in foil like you would for the fire, but instead put them into packable fry pan over medium heat.

I have also made some pretty tasty fish tacos, by bringing along tortillas and dehydrated retried beans or beans and rice.

slick

WKR
That burrito looks like the best backcountry food ever! Kudos Becca.

What else is easy to whip up in the backcountry besides a mtn house?
I could take some notes on bc cooking!

OP
Beastmode

Beastmode

WKR
I usually cook mine in foil in the frypan, to avoid the clean up hassles. When weight allows I will bring butter, onions, and other seasonings, and I have been known to add a slash of white wine too if we have some handy. Wrap in foil like you would for the fire, but instead put them into packable fry pan over medium heat.

I have also made some pretty tasty fish tacos, by bringing along tortillas and dehydrated retried beans or beans and rice.

Thanks the foil in the frying pan is a great idea.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am almost embarrassed to repost this, but it seems relevant so here ya go: http://vimeo.com/45179667

I don't have a lot of other things in my backcountry repertoire. I have done fresh roasted game meat on a stick plenty of times, served with a side of instant potatoes or a side of rehydrated veggies. The tortillas are good for tacos or fajitas with fish or wild game. Blocks of cheese keep pretty well and make everything tastier :) We brought caribou hot dogs and corn on the cob along on a float trip last year, and just ate them the first two nights out (pack rafting, so no refrigeration). Brought along buns and single serving packets of ketchup, mustard and butter I snagged from a gas station. It tasted amazing!

desertcj

WKR
I haven't tried ceviche with trout, but I've done it quite a bit with ocean fish while out on a boat. I might try it this summer. Basically, you put the fish in a plastic baggy with lime juice and the acids "Cook" the fish. No heat needed. You also put other stuff in the mix like diced onion, tomatoe, cilantro and green olives are pretty good too. Then you spoon this mix onto soft taco shells or tostadas.

Stid2677

WKR
I make ceviche a lot, I do this on remote boat trips, but you could diced the veggies and squeeze the lemons into a vacuum bag in advance and add the fish once caught.

IMGP3261.jpg

IMGP3262.jpg

This recipe could be done remote as well,, diced up the fish into small chunks, coat with a little flour and spices, let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes, throw chucks into a very hot lightly oiled skillet, cook quickly, when done pour in some Frank Buffalo Wing Sauce toss to coat and serve hot. Would be really good with MH Mac and Cheese.

PC220201_zps73ba4f30.jpg

desertcj

WKR
The buffalo fish chunks look great! Only problem I see would be catching fish large enough to chunk without bones. Trout are somewhat bony little critters. Same problem would apply to ceviche as well. I want to try it now though. Probably fillet and then trim out the bones.

Stid2677

WKR
The buffalo fish chunks look great! Only problem I see would be catching fish large enough to chunk without bones. Trout are somewhat bony little critters. Same problem would apply to ceviche as well. I want to try it now though. Probably fillet and then trim out the bones.

I have made it with chunks cut with the bone still in, just have to use your tongue to debone it in your mouth. The hot sauce can be stored in those little bottle shots of liquor is sold in.

SDHNTR

WKR
I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to good seafood as I live close to the ocean and my brother manages a fish market/restaurant, but I just heard trout ceviche. Someone try this and let me know how it goes. My first inclination is BARF city! I've cooked many a brookie over a fire with a sharp aspen stick.

desertcj

WKR
I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to good seafood as I live close to the ocean and my brother manages a fish market/restaurant, but I just heard trout ceviche. Someone try this and let me know how it goes. My first inclination is BARF city! I've cooked many a brookie over a fire with a sharp aspen stick.

To me, trout is rather tasteless. Why would trout ceviche be barf city? Just the thought of it? Regardless, I'll probably try it this summer.

Salmon ceviche isn't very good, so I could't imagine trout ceviche being any better. It's best from fish with white meat.......... Oh, I forgot, if you catch some of the stocked slimers they will have white meat...... Carry on!

krueger

FNG
Me and my buddies just take a small (~ 2 ounces of oil) bottle of oil and deep fry cutthroats whole. We gut them, cut off the head, sprinkle with S&P and drop into hot oil. Whe you are cold, tired and hungry a hot fresh trout fillet is awesome. The meat basically fall off the bone.

I've cooked a few brookies and cutts over the fire on a sharp willow stick. Definitely need to up my game and do some real cooking. I could use a nice little fry pan. Great looking food in this thread!!!

desertcj

WKR
Just for the record, I've found that cooked fish attracts bears. I almost had to pop a small 150lb or so bear after it came into our camp several years ago while I had my wife and daughter with me. It was getting awful friendly with our tent...