Cooking Gear

Jmort1754

WKR
What stove is everyone using for lightweight 2 man back pack hunts. Before October 15th time frame 9500-10500 feet.

Thanks

I’ve been using a Jetboil Sol the past few years. No issues whatsoever yet. Did receive an MSR Reactor for Christmas but no real reason to change from my current Sol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Check out the “adventures in stoving” blog for some excellent insight into stoves and their pluses and minuses. In addition to a system to boil, intake a Purcell trench cooking grate for cooking over a bed of coals.

SOTO windmaster stove with a Toaks 1100ml pot and pan set. Super lightweight and compact, great setup.

Soto windmaster with evernew .6l pot and partner brings there own cook kit or at least fuel. I drink coffee, heat water to rehydrate meals, and eat oatmeal out of the same pot. I will bring a pan if trout are on the menu.

Tmann1990

Lil-Rokslider
Soto Windmaster and an MSR PocketRocket. Jetboils are nice but they just seem so bulky and heavy compared to the rocket style stoves.

tlkaetz

WKR
Another vote for the MSR Reactor 1.0L. Perfect for my buddy and I to use.

tlkaetz

WKR
MSR WindBurner Duo if there will be two or three in camp. I take the MSR Ceramic Skillet if we are going to catch backcountry trout. Best setup I've ever used for cooking in the backcountry for two or three people. Doesn't take up much more room than a Jetboil and is vastly superior in the wind.

MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe and Sno Peak Trek 700 if I'm alone. Small, efficient and I eat and drink everything out of the same pot.

How do you like the Pocket Pocket Rocket Deluxe? How does it compare to the Pocket Rocket 2??

EmperorMA

WKR
How do you like the Pocket Pocket Rocket Deluxe? How does it compare to the Pocket Rocket 2??
It is in a different league than the Pocket Rocket 2. A clear upgrade especially in the wind, at the end of the canister's fuel reserves and in temps below 25 degrees.

The Pocket Rocket Deluxe most directly compares to the Soto WindMaster, and without sophisticated equipment to measure the differences, I'd have to say the new MSR is that stove's equal in performance in the wind and at cold temperatures (I've had it down to 17 degrees). Of course, the two are very similar and are designed to excel at the same things. I had the Soto but prefer to give some love to an American company so I sold it and bought the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe. It has worked very well this winter and I can tell you I am not missing the Soto at all.

Last edited: