Cooking off kifaru oval stove?

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
How many of you guys cook off one? Do you still bring your jet boil to heat up water? Or just a cup or pan? How long does it take to boil water?
Basically what gear can I cut since now I will be using a wood stove. Any thoughts or advice will help.
Thanks

muleman

WKR
I've heated water on an Oval and now a WiFi. When heating water on a wood burner, I like a backpacking kettle that has a wide bottom to gather as much heat as possible from the stove top.
Primus Kettle.jpg

I don't have time specifics, but if you are starting from no fire, it takes significantly longer than the couple minutes it takes on a backpacking stove. If you are not going to be running the stove for heat already it is faster and easier to heat the water on a backpacking stove. I have yet to "cook" on the stove but plan on doing so on a January '15 elk hunt we will be pulking into.

If melting snow, it is helpful to have a bigger pot.

Depending on how much wood you will be burning, you may want to consider adding a saw and or light weight (<= 1#) hatchet. The hatchet really comes into play if you need to get dry centers to burn or to break down larger wood into pieces that will fit in the stove.

LJ Buck

WKR
I still bring my Jet Boil. Sometimes when i get back to camp late and just want to eat and go to bed I dont want to start a fire.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On a similar kettle using our seek outside SXL wood stove I went from no fire to boil in 5 to 6 minutes. I've heard others report similar results. No, not as fast as a MSR reactor but fast enough for me.

OP
H

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys. I think that I will get one of those kettles.