Cooking pouches.

16Bore

WKR
Non CV19 thread!

I tend to like smaller portions, especially when it comes to Mountain House. Picked up some of the cooking bags and we’ll see how it goes.

Figured I’d pass it along, I’m sure fellas have used other similar type things. Might even be reusable. Reckon we’ll see.

I picked up some of the cook-in bags from Packit Gourmet last year and made my own dehydrated meals. They worked well and it was a fun project.

PROS:

They are free standing and rated to accept boiling water, but not to boil in. Similar to Mountain House and other freeze dried camping meals.

Resealable top.

They come in different sizes so it was easy to make smaller or larger portions.

CONS:

The bags are rated for one time use only, as in they don't recommend pouring boiling water into them more than once. They don't say why, only that they are not "rated" for multiple uses. They are supposed to be BPA free, so again, why one-time use only? At .80/bag I wish they were reusable since one of my objectives in making my own meals was to save money.

They are non reflective so I had to make my own cozy to keep the pouches warm while they rehydrated. Not a big deal but I wish they offered them in reflective bags as well.

*They claim to have contacted Ziplock regarding using their freezer bags for this same purpose, and that Ziplock recommended not using them. I have read about many people using Ziplock heavy duty freezer bags for meals that only require pouring in boiling water one time so I'm not sure what the problem is. BPA? I've also read about thru hikers that just wash and reuse Mountain House bags. Any Plastics Engineers or Chemists out there that want to inform us?

• Banned
OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
That’s interesting about the reuse. Wonder if they just weaken? Found these Moimoi bags too.

tdot

WKR
Non CV19 thread!

I tend to like smaller portions, especially when it comes to Mountain House. Picked up some of the cooking bags and we’ll see how it goes.

Figured I’d pass it along, I’m sure fellas have used other similar type things. Might even be reusable. Reckon we’ll see.

Is there a reason to use something like these over the Ziploc freezer bags?

If you've used the Ziploc Freezer bags, it'll be interesting to hear a comparison.

I looked at Mylar bags on Amazon quite awhile ago, they appeared to be another good option. But as I recall they were twice the price of the Ziploc Freezer bags. Though they may be cheaper now.

Vacuum bags are also a good alternative. I prepped food for 420 meals for a 12 day race, for 11 of us. They worked awesome...

• Banned
OP
16Bore

16Bore

WKR
My thoughts were pouring boiling water into them to rehydrate meals. I’m not certain you can do that with a ziplock. I had a pile of vacuum bags but my sealer took a dump. Not sure I’ll get another one since I just do cellophane wrap and butchers paper. Cheaper, quicker, and lasts just as long.

I wanna split Mountain House into 2 portions and try some other things.

Is there a reason to use something like these over the Ziploc freezer bags?

If you've used the Ziploc Freezer bags, it'll be interesting to hear a comparison.
Read my above post for more detail, but in short, Packit Gourmet claims that Ziplock recommends not to use their Freezer bags to pour boiling water into.

Maybe one advantage is that they are free standing/more sturdy.

Another option to use with freezer bags, etc.

I've been using freezer bags to rehydrate my homemade meals in for a while. I have used these too: https://dutchwaregear.com/product/bowl-bags/. Pint freezer bags are about the perfect size though. You end up carrying a lot of extra plastic using quart bags. I usually end up carrying one of those bowl bags to hold the the quart freezer bags while rehydrating inside a reflectix/foil tape cozy. Tough to get much lighter. By the time boiling water travels through the air when pouring and contacts the bag, it's no longer boiling temp. So, freezer bags don't bother me. I rinse and repurpose them when I get out of the backcountry.

I save my mountain house bags and reuse them to cook ramen and my homemade dehydrated jambalaya.

I was planning on using my freezer bag inside of a Mtn House pouch to rehydrate. I did make some of the foam ones that Nick (above) made but if my freezer bag ever had a pinhole they would leak.