Cooking sheep ribs

bisblue

WKR
Hey folks,
I was listening to Fred Bear's field notes and his description of how good sheep ribs were.
I was lucky enough to harvest a ewe bighorn this year, anyone cooked sheep ribs before?
Screenshot_20211205-102019_Gallery.jpg

Snyd

WKR
Yes, nothing but salt and pepper.
^^^^this^^^^

shp-Fst-03.jpg

shp-Fst-02.jpg

Step 1) Kill a sheep
Step 2) build fire. Even a crappy rotten willow fire will produce good results
Step 3) salt and pepper, or for a pro move, 1 soy sauce ramen noodle seasoning packet
Step 4) cook it over the fire. A little bit of charring is ok, but don't go crazy. A nice flat rock can make a stellar cook surface (see below)
Step 5) devour

your life should be changed at this point
IMG_4882.JPG

tdot

WKR
You guys and your fires in the sheep mountains. I'm jealous. The last few August hunts have all included a complete ban on fires, due to forest fire danger. This year I thought about using the jetboil, but it felt like sacrilege to treat sheep meat that way.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
E1BB7B99-6B0C-4911-A154-2F435F3D3F7A.jpeg

Yes, sheep ribs are best cooked the next day over an Alder fire with salt and pepper. I remember actually licking my fingers to get every last morsel. Looking back 20 years I bet they are not as tasty 6 months later at home. The exhaustion and elation add to the flavor. Second best meal I’ve had in my life. Number one was the tenderloins I rubbed with teriyaki powder before I passed out in my bag after spending the night on the mountain with my ram and a raincoat. That was an awesome dinner.

40870FAE-100D-45F4-A933-5D839F9CB7BC.jpeg

oenanthe

WKR
Step 1) Kill a sheep
Step 2) build fire. Even a crappy rotten willow fire will produce good results
Step 3) salt and pepper, or for a pro move, 1 soy sauce ramen noodle seasoning packet
Step 4) cook it over the fire. A little bit of charring is ok, but don't go crazy. A nice flat rock can make a stellar cook surface (see below)
Step 5) devour

your life should be changed at this point

Ramen seasoning packets make an excellent rub! The soy sauce flavor may be the best, but the spicy beef is also pretty doggone good.