Cooking sheep ribs

bisblue

WKR
Hey folks,
I was listening to Fred Bear's field notes and his description of how good sheep ribs were.
I was lucky enough to harvest a ewe bighorn this year, anyone cooked sheep ribs before?
Screenshot_20211205-102019_Gallery.jpg
View attachment 353277

Last edited:

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure that they will be great with any method, but the method that Fred Bear was, most likely, roasted on a couple of willow sticks over an open fire.

tdot

WKR
I brought out the rib meat this year. Smoked them on my Kamado w/ some apple wood, low and slow, roughly 1.5 hours in the smoke and then an hour in tinfoil. Only used salt and pepper. They were excellent, mild flavour that I didn't want to mask with bbq sauce or any strong rubs. They had a touch of fat on them, so stayed quite moist. If I can bring them out again in the future, I'll do it again.

tdot

WKR
How do they taste compared to beef or pork ribs??
I'm still having a hard time describing the taste of my Ram. It's my first, so I only have the one to compare it to. It isn't anything like a domestic ram, even very young domestic lamb has more flavour. Overall it's been a mild, non gamey flavour, but there is definitely a flavour to the meat. It's been a few years since I've had horse, but from memory, it's more similar to horse then either cow or pork