Cookware

MBanning

FNG
My situation is far from the backcountry but maybe you can help.

To make a short story long, I shoot in precision rifle matches. These are just 1 day trips but I often have a 2-3 hour drive in the early morning. I always pack lunch, snacks, water, etc. I always arrive early to allow for any traffic or mishaps along the way. In the colder months I would like to be able to have something warm to eat once I get there. I don't plan on doing any real cooking but some oatmeal with a handful of berries would be better on a cold morning than just a banana.

I was looking at MSR Windburner and Reactor and remembered I have a small stove. I have a Coleman single burner 533, white gas stove. I packed this along on a few canoe trips several years ago. I fired up the stove and it still works.

Weight isn't an issue but I need some cookware that is pretty durable as it will live in a truck toolbox. I'm thinking maybe a tea kettle type pot will be best? I plan on only heating water. Any suggestions on a pot or kettle for boiling? I would also like a bowl or cup of some type to prepare oatmeal that wont burn my hands ( no plastic ) . Maybe a cup as well for coffee or tea. Making coffee is on my mind too and I have read several posts on these pages discussing that topic.

I think camping type cookware would serve me better and be more durable than paper cups and bowls and I'm quite certain I couldn't sneak my wife's tea kettle out of the house. Thank you for reading and for any input you may provide. I am also not opposed to getting a new stove with an integrated pot if that would be easier.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a couple of these and they are really handy for boiling water or for quick meals or making coffee it all nest together. Might be an inexpensive option that will meet your needs

Attachments

• 40B6D96C-CFB6-45F1-A956-298B09103688.jpeg
    40B6D96C-CFB6-45F1-A956-298B09103688.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 11

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
When you say it'll live in a truck toolbox, I think of the MSR Alpine Stowaway pots. They are simple stainless pots, but the handle clamps the lid onto the pot. I'm not sure how much jostling in a toolbox it would hold up to, but it might be your best bet for holding together.

Some of the "billy pots" the bushcraft guys use might work well for you. This type of pot is primarily for boiling water, but is much more versatile than a kettle. I think the Zebra pots have a lid that latches on. The ones that are just under 2L are the most versatile, but if you're always solo, something a little more than 1L capacity will be fine.

You may want to take a look at what GSI offers. They have a number of small kits that have a pot paired with cups, utensils, etc. that may be what you're after. Specifically, check out the different versions of their "Ketalist," "Soloist," and "Dualist." They come in either stainless or aluminum.