Cool brass after the shot?

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Did some shooting yesterday evening with my .280 Rem in preparation for a couple of mule deer hunts this year. I shot well, but what was weird to me was that when I removed the spent cartridge immediately after the shot, it was not at all hot or even warm. Just room temperature. Am I losing my mind? Granted, I haven't shot my rifle since last August, but 20+ years of shooting experience is telling me the brass should have been almost too hot to handle immediately after the shot.

Side note: Rokslide is now a verb. I was telling my wife about this issue and she said, "So are you going to Google it, or Rokslide it?"

Bolt actions allow for much longer contact with the chamber wall than semi-auto. So the mass of the chamber steel is transferring most of the heat away from the brass before you get a chance to eject the case. A semi-auto only contacts the chamber wall for fractions of a second, while a bolt action is many times longer cycle time even when running the bolt fast. Over long strings of fire I would expect the brass to hold more heat as the chamber heats up as well.