Cooler Advice For Elk

Hi all,

I looked through the posts here as well as the excellent write up on Elk 101, but still had more questions about cooler sizes/dimensions.

I currently own a Coleman 120 quart Xtreme 6 that has served me well for smaller game. I'm wondering what other cooler I should add in conjunction to that to hopefully bring a bull back in September. I mention the season just because I want to ensure I have enough space for ice to keep everything cool. Meat will be in there a few days tops before I can get it to the processor.

My plan is to bone out three out of the four quarters. The fourth quarter will be in tact with evidence of sex attached. This is my way of keeping weight down to a minimum and making it extremely obvious as to what I need to dig out in case I get stopped. Looking at my current cooler, I think I can get the full (bone in) quarter in there (cooler is 34'' across diagonally at the bottom) with some room for boneless meat as well.

As a result, I'm wondering what size my second cooler should be. Thanks in advance.

gelton

WKR
I carry two 120's and a 65q yeti. Use the Yeti to keep 4 gallons of frozen water jugs in and then cover those with ice and the yeti never gets opened the whole trip.

I use one of the 120's to keep any perishable food I might have for basecamp and drinks cold.

The other 120 is for storing and keeping gear dry. If me or a hunting partner bags anything, or possibly even if we both get one there is more than enough room for one and possibly enough for two. (never have been lucky enough to double)

Hi all,

I looked through the posts here as well as the excellent write up on Elk 101, but still had more questions about cooler sizes/dimensions.

I currently own a Coleman 120 quart Xtreme 6 that has served me well for smaller game. I'm wondering what other cooler I should add in conjunction to that to hopefully bring a bull back in September. I mention the season just because I want to ensure I have enough space for ice to keep everything cool. Meat will be in there a few days tops before I can get it to the processor.

My plan is to bone out three out of the four quarters. The fourth quarter will be in tact with evidence of sex attached. This is my way of keeping weight down to a minimum and making it extremely obvious as to what I need to dig out in case I get stopped. Looking at my current cooler, I think I can get the full (bone in) quarter in there (cooler is 34'' across diagonally at the bottom) with some room for boneless meat as well.

As a result, I'm wondering what size my second cooler should be. Thanks in advance.
We fit my buddy's whole 6x6 bull into two coolers, with room for ice (although with the temps we didn't need ice). One was a 120 quart Coleman Xtreme and the other was a 100 quart Igloo. I would be very comfortable taking just two 120 quart Coleman Xtremes on any elk hunt. As a bonus, I can fit my whole 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent in one of them which makes packing a breeze.

I carry two 120's and a 65q yeti. Use the Yeti to keep 4 gallons of frozen water jugs in and then cover those with ice and the yeti never gets opened the whole trip.

I use one of the 120's to keep any perishable food I might have for basecamp and drinks cold.

The other 120 is for storing and keeping gear dry. If me or a hunting partner bags anything, or possibly even if we both get one there is more than enough room for one and possibly enough for two. (never have been lucky enough to double)
I like that approach.

wapitibob

WKR
I use one 120qt cooler as a dry box then when I tag out, buy another at walmart. Packing two takes up a lot of space.

HNTR918

WKR
I use 2 Igloo 120's.
12 frozen gallon jugs in each.
Lasted 7 days in 90-116 degrees this summer.
That was with opening them twice a day for food.

For Elk Hunting:
When I get to town I'll throw 2 blocks of dry ice in each.

CCooper

WKR
I use 2- 125qt yeti's and 1 65qt- haven't found anything better than frozen milk jugs- pretty much what @cnelk has going on above. One of those yeti 210's looks pretty sweet though.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I use 2 x igloo 150 quart coolers (similar to cnelks above). With an elk boned out leaves about 1/3 of each cooler free for ice.

As far as coolers go, I have no doubt Yetis and others are better coolers than the big igloo coolers I use. But what I've been using works well.

From experience early season elk hunting and warm spring bear hunting, I can keep enough ice in these coolers as long as I fill one with ice blocks completely before I leave home and keep it closed until needed.

I also never put fresh warm meat in them. I think it's important to make sure your animal is air cooled as best as you can before you put it in the cooler.

Cinch

Lil-Rokslider
I can fit a whole elk in a Yeti 210... I freeze a few cases of water bottles for ice... they pack in a lot better then milk jugs do... We brought back 3 elk from NM this way and they were still nice and cold over the 3 days it took us to cut them up...

I use one 120qt cooler as a dry box then when I tag out, buy another at walmart. Packing two takes up a lot of space.
You could also "ship to store" at the local Walmart so whatever cooler you choose is waiting on you. If you don't pick it up they eventually put it on their shelf for resale and you don't get charged. Coolers can be plentiful or they can be scarce depending on the season...or they may have one but no the right one for you.

rayporter

WKR
dont be afraid to stop and buy cheap wally world coolers. i have always seen them stacked to the ceiling for just this purpose.
you can also get a lot of extra room by putting dry ice in and taking out the bottles. meat will be frozen by the time i get to arkansas with dry ice.

I'm actually planning to fly with coolers this year on Southwest. I think my dry ice limit is 5 lbs per cooler and my weight limit is 50 lbs or 100 lbs for an extra $75..but I would be driving from WY to KY so the trip will be a few hours instead of two days. If I can get the meat cold first I'll be fine. (Cow elk hunt) Anyone with flight advice? It does change the game a little.

I'm actually planning to fly with coolers this year on Southwest. I think my dry ice limit is 5 lbs per cooler and my weight limit is 50 lbs or 100 lbs for an extra $75..but I would be driving from WY to KY so the trip will be a few hours instead of two days. If I can get the meat cold first I'll be fine. (Cow elk hunt) Anyone with flight advice? It does change the game a little.
I’m pretty sure that using dry ice requires the receptacle to be vented in some way. Not 100% sure though. This is why a lot of guys try to find a way to have it flash frozen first, then no need for dry ice.

shadow

FNG
Shot a nice 6 point bull this year. Boned out meat fit nicely in a coleman 120 and 100 quart coolers with barely enough room for ice. I put the loins in a different cooler because I had one, but didn't need to. I think if you had around 220 to 250 quarts of capacity it would be just right.

Hi all,

I just read an excellent article on bone in versus out. It said if you have a choice, to leave the quarters bone in and allow them to hang 24-48 hours to prevent "shortening" of the muscle which would make the meat a bit tougher...allow the meat to go thru its rigor mortis stage before deboning. Also don't let the loose meat bunch up in the game bags to prevent spoilage. I put two cow elk bone in in 3 Coleman extreme 5 day ice (2 were 70 quart and 1 was 100 qt I think)

My only other cooler comment is the Coleman 70 qt should be airline compliant (62 inches) for Southwest without being oversized. Then weight is the only issue. For SW less than 50 lbs or less than 100 lbs with an overweight charge. I'm sure every airline is different. May be a factor in a trip one day though. Happy hunting.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Just want to throw out there Academy Sports has white Igloo 152 Extremes on clearance for $63...

I called the meat processor we will be using and they said (1) 150 qt cooler should fit a cut up elk and a couple blocks of dry ice. This is after processing not straight off the mountain bone in, but they are 24 hr turn around and who our outfitter is using.

slowyota

FNG
I use one of these - stores all my hunting gear in the truck and will hold an entire elk. Does a good enough job of retaining ice for a day or two until I can get it to the meat processor.

Clean it out after and throw my gear back in.

Husky Roller

S-3 ranch

WKR
Just want to throw out there Academy Sports has white Igloo 152 Extremes on clearance for $63...

I called the meat processor we will be using and they said (1) 150 qt cooler should fit a cut up elk and a couple blocks of dry ice. This is after processing not straight off the mountain bone in, but they are 24 hr turn around and who our outfitter is using.
Yep I bring back elk and mule deer to Texas in 150 igloo or pelican
igloo I use gorilla tape to seal the top
usually stays frozen even from idaho a 24 hour drive or 2 12 hour driving days