Cooler for Bone in Quarters

sivart

WKR
Need some options for cooler brand and size that will fit two bone in quarters. I really don't want one cooler for 4 quarters, as it will be harder to carry, move. I have an Rtic 145, and it's about 3" too short for bone in quarters.

With an axe I am able to make elk quarters fit in a Canyon Coolers Outfitter 125. Just knock off the knuckle on the shank, which you're going to do anyway. Quick, easy, satisfying.

JakeSCH

WKR
My Grizzly 165 is perfect for quarters because it is tall and narrow...it fits quarters much better than my buddies rtic.

Or you can go with coleman's, they just work.

I cut the outside tendon and bend the quarter if it's too long for my Rtic 145. I don't think muscle retraction on the shank meat will impact it's tenderness anyway. I do like to keep the big muscles on the bone also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Grizzly 165 is perfect for quarters because it is tall and narrow...it fits quarters much better than my buddies rtic.

Or you can go with coleman's, they just work.
I would second the Grizzly 165. Works perfect for this.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
How about boning it out, My large cow fit in one 126 qt cooler with ice. I wet aged it in there for five days.

I have an old Coleman 150 and an Igloo 120 and a couple smaller coolers if needed that i generally keep extra ice in and possibly some food. That old Coleman has come apart from the outer skin separating from the insulation and taped back together with red stucco tape. This ice chest keeps ice longer than the smaller yeti i used to have, and the Grizzly i currently have.

I use 30x60 Reliable Kill Bags/cooler. I used them for tuna fishing for years and started taking them on elk hunts they work really well.View attachment 351211
i'm thinking of going that route... for home i have an insulated tote, and i put the meat on 300# of ice and it's good to go.

i have the cordova 128, and it wouldn't fit a quartered roosie with no ice. the kill bag is a good idea, i'm just curious how long it will hold ice?

the grizzly 400 looks to be the right size hard cooler to me, with room for ice, but it's a cumbersome thing