Cooler Ice Packs

treillw

WKR
Looking at the Cooler Shock ice packs on amazon. Seem pretty good.

What would you suggest for a yeti 105 to keep things cold for as long as possible? I'm thinking for camping and not necessarily meat, although if it could serve double duty that might be a bonus.

This looks promising:

Thanks!

Seems like a pretty big waste of space in a cooler to me. You could just freeze some gallon water jugs and then you would have drink able water if needed. Especially if it’s just for camping. And it really isn’t a very space accommodating shape for packing a cooler full of meat. I’d pass but that’s up to you.

TomJoad

WKR
All depends on your circumstances for what you’re storing and how long you’re going to be out. You generally want your ice in the largest pieces possible, block ice is the best. large jug would be second. No matter what kind of ice you use, once you’re rolling, never, ever drain it.

Rob86 has a good point on any jugs doubling as water backup, especially if your at a dry site. Block ice won’t help you there unless you want to imbibe on cooler sludge. It’s a trick from the rafting community and water is never the issue on the river.

Pro-tip if you have a friend with a walk-in is to freeze the entire cooler for a day or two in advance of your trip. If that’s not an option pre-cooling with bag ice the day before departure is better than nothing.

2ski

WKR
I get food samples mailed to me at work. Some come frozen. I find the free ones the manufacturers sent to keep their products cool or frozen work way better than the ones you buy from a cooler company. Those don't work that long for me. These are still frozen hours later and the yeti/rtic ones I have are not cold in similar conditions for the size of cooler I use for lunch on day excursions.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The frozen 1 gallon jugs that are rectangular shaped are the best for coolers for fitment. Last longer than ice packs normally also. Don’t forget to empty out some of the water for expansion during the freezing.

Opah

WKR
There you go save your screw cap juice jugs fill with water, even throw a lemon slice or two and freeze it. really great to have the ICE cold water available

dtrkyman

WKR
I always used milk or juice jugs, I have a bunch saved now from some ice tea jugs that are more rectangular and should save space.

I keep my cooler cold for a few days prior to a trip, I juts rotate jugs every other day until ready to leave then load it with what is needed.

LostArra

WKR
Two recommendations:
1. Pre chill your cooler with ice or ice bags before loading your frozen jugs. I have put an entire empty soft side Polar Bear in my freezer overnight before we left and it makes a difference.

2. Buy this:

You add it to your jugs before freezing them and it creates a gel that stays frozen longer and colder. On a local trip a single frozen gallon jug ended up freezing my lunch meat and cheese slices that were not in contact with the jug. I fully anticipated it was a scam but it definitely works. I use those treated jugs in my fermentation chamber for home brewing beer and they can easily last a day longer than water-only jugs.

Before I started using the ice extender I would freeze salt water and it helps too. Same theory as homemade ice cream makers. From my "experiments" the ice extender still works better.

I like frozen water bottles on top of stuff as well. Put large frozen jugs in the bottom, fill spots here and there on top with frozen 16-20oz water bottles. Remember cold air sinks and hot air rises. So nice to have something cooling on top. Don't really ever have too much water either.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
I thought I saw that they say the cooler shock stuff is colder than ice. Gimmick?

I use frozen 1L platypus bottles. Same theory as milk jugs, but I just find the jugs take up too much space. I do have a couple of the yeti ice bricks that I throw on the bottom, but frozen bottles will last for days and days; and as others have stated, then you can drink them.

LostArra

WKR
I thought I saw that they say the cooler shock stuff is colder than ice. Gimmick?

The ice extender I posted is no gimmick and I fully expected it to be. Some of it depends on your freezer. It takes a COLD freezer to get the extender frozen. 31 degrees probably won't cut it.

The downside of the ice extender or using salt water is you can't drink it but keeping meat cold is more of an issue than adding hydration. I've always got jugs of water in the truck.