Cooler size and ice tips for caribou

Dserpa

FNG
Looking at a few different rotomolded coolers for our late August Caribou hunt up the Dalton Highway. Does anyone have a recommended size or cooler model
for the meat of a decent sized bull and maybe cape? We are driving up and leaving the coolers in the truck so weight isnt really an issue. Looking at Rtic, Cordova, grizzly etc.

Trial153

WKR
Meat and cape... i would take two cooler, one about 100qts and the other slightly smaller.

Buck2747

FNG
May want to look at the lifetime coolers from Wally World. I have not noticed much difference in ice retention from my RTIC van my Colman extreams down here in AZ.. have a buddy that runs the lifetimes at around 100 bucks hard to beat at that cost. Just my opinion.

OP
D

Dserpa

FNG
Thanks for the info, looking hard at the Cordova 125qt anyone have any experience with them??Keep the suggestions. Coming!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking at a few different rotomolded coolers for our late August Caribou hunt up the Dalton Highway. Does anyone have a recommended size or cooler model
for the meat of a decent sized bull and maybe cape? We are driving up and leaving the coolers in the truck so weight isnt really an issue. Looking at Rtic, Cordova, grizzly etc.

I would highly suggest keeping cooler sizes less than 100-qts each. A mature caribou bull will render to about 100-lbs with bone-in after day 4 post harvest. If the bull is larger, expect 125-lbs or less for final weight with bones. Without bones expect 90-lbs or so.

Don't usually recommend ice in coolers, just cooler storage via AK Airlines or cargo services. If the meat is warm, temporary ice but you'll be hard pressed to find ice in villages, and it wont last long enough in the field without a bunch water melt...which ain't good for the meat.

IMO, you're better off cooling naturally and temp/cool at freezer when out of field...then ship in cooler as fast as possible.

LB

Robber

FNG

I would love to hear about your hunt on dalton highway once you get back. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dserpa

FNG
I would highly suggest keeping cooler sizes less than 100-qts each. A mature caribou bull will render to about 100-lbs with bone-in after day 4 post harvest. If the bull is larger, expect 125-lbs or less for final weight with bones. Without bones expect 90-lbs or so.

Don't usually recommend ice in coolers, just cooler storage via AK Airlines or cargo services. If the meat is warm, temporary ice but you'll be hard pressed to find ice in villages, and it wont last long enough in the field without a bunch water melt...which ain't good for the meat.

IMO, you're better off cooling naturally and temp/cool at freezer when out of field...then ship in cooler as fast as possible.

LB
We are driving up and back, so the coolers will stay locked in the rig. Going to go with frozen waterbottles to prevent water buildup and we may top off with a couple blocks of dry ice up in fairbanks to ensure the bottles stay frozen.

Buck2747

FNG
If you are diving why not take a small freezer and generator. We did that for a Texas hunt a few years back froze everything solid then drove home had the generator in case.

Just an FYI... After my caribou hunt there was no dry ice to be found in Fairbanks, North pole or surrounding area!
No joke. I wouldn't count on it.
We searched and called everywhere...seriously!