cooler space

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
How much cooler space in quarts does it take to get an average size elk home? Is 200 enough? Hopefully I will find out myself this year! I have asked a couple of guys before but never got a straight answer. I just want to make sure I have enough. I am talking boned out of course.

Swede

WKR
How much ice do you need? I took my entire elk cut and wrapped back home frozen in a 164 qt cooler last year. I would think it would be adequate for a pretty large elk when processed.

OP
Rod

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Swede, thats what I was looking for & yes I will need room for ice also. I had frozen several milk jugs last year & they still had ice after 12 days, this was in mid september. Just did not get to add the elk meat!:(

Last edited:

G Posik

WKR
200 qts should be plenty. Especially if deboned. I use a 120 and 80 qt yeti coolers and have no problems.

Glenn

Do you guys transport your meat with regular ice or dry ice? I hope to drive an elk back 1800 miles this year and am wondering how you guys do it? I have had good success with keeping whitetail meat in coolers for mulitple days by using regular ice and putting a good tilt on it to keep the water drained. I do not have any experience with dry ice however.

Also, I am planning on building an ice box which would be as efficeint as a yeti just a custom size and much cheaper. You guys think 200 quarts would be a good size to shoot for? This is how I plan on building it if you guys are interested...

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/building-an-efficient-icebox-2/

bnsafe

WKR
i was wondering about dry ice also, dont know anything about it but sounds like a good deal.

Swede

WKR
I have never used dry ice, but I only travel for about 8 hours. The whole idea is to keep your meat cold. If you can keep it cold, under 40*F, then driving across country should not be a problem. If you have any question throw a cheap thermometer in with the meat. If the temperature goes much above 40* F for any significant time then pack in some dry ice.