Cooler

I’m looking to buy a new cooler. I mainly hunt whitetail and want one so that I can quarter a deer up and keep on ice during warmer time periods. I also will be going on a wild boar hunt this spring and will be hauling my processed meat back in it. How many quart cooler will I need I order to have a quartered deer on ice in the cooler.

I have gotten mine in 110 qt. In TX/OK. 120-150 depending on where you hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 150 quart Coleman Extreme. I got it for 50 bucks and it is great. Fits a whole elk and kept ice for 8 days in ~50f weather.

Its super light as well. Those expensive coolers weight a ton empty

Grml4HCuXkEozHMwDqVJhrqjvCtecaApfuEALw_wcB

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Also depends how and what you keep of your hog kill. In Florida because of the heat, we 1/4 them, remove back straps and tenderloins and throw the ribs and heart etc to the gut pile for the other critters to feast on.

Lately people are fussing over “tomahawk” chops. If we kill a “Barr” hog, we eat every inch in between tail and neck. Barr hogs make for a good tomahawk chop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taco15

Lil-Rokslider
Spend the money on a higher end cooler. The roto molded brands like Yeti are worth it. If you search FB market place, Craigslist, etc you can find them for great deals. Recently picked up a Yeti Tundra 250 for $400.

I'm going to assume Ohio because of your screen name so about 100qt will be fine. I have hunted far enough south you could fit all of a deer in a 55qt.
Hogs may or may not be a different matter depending on what size you are hunting for.

Esse quam videri

jspradley

WKR
One deer will easily fit in a 65 quart, I have 2 RTIC coolers and they are more than enough. I believe I have fit 3 deer between the two of them before.

You can usually score the RTIC 65s for around $200

Lawnboi

WKR
If it’s only one deer I’d do a 65-75qt. I have fit some pretty good size deer quartered in a 75 yeti.

The plus to a cooler that size is that you can move it alone.

Once you get ice and meat in a 100+ qt cooler it’s not moving

I’d keep my eye out for a rtic 65 cooler. Good bang for the buck.

OP
B
So I’m still hearing mixed reviews. Should I get the 75 or will the 65 definitely work?

OP
B
Anybody have any other input before I pull the trigger. My main concern is whether a quartered whitetail will fit in 65 tundra.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
If you are sold on Yeti, get the 75. It is significantly deeper than the 65. I look at the 65 as a professional beer cooler while I look at the 75 as a perfect whitetail/tuna cooler. You will not be disappointed in the 75

RyanM

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 150 quart Coleman Extreme. I got it for 50 bucks and it is great. Fits a whole elk and kept ice for 8 days in ~50f weather.

Its super light as well. Those expensive coolers weight a ton empty

Grml4HCuXkEozHMwDqVJhrqjvCtecaApfuEALw_wcB
I do agree that it’s lighter and for the price it gets the job done. On the other hand I only got about 3 days of ice, but the elk was still frozen, so it was worth the money.

Unless you are anticipating warm temps for an extended period, I'd go with a larger cheaper (non-roto) cooler. I have a 75 at. Grizzly (roto), and Iike it a lot, and use it a lot, but for deer (and elk) I have a huge Igloo Maxcold 165. It will actually hold two deer quarters still in the bags with room for ice or snow for packing. It works great, and I got it at Costco years ago for probably $70 or so. The have a not so large (100 I think) in stock here now that looks like decent quality for a cheap price. I just think the roto are so expensive and so heavy when you get in those biggest sizes. I don't think a mature whitetail or muley hindquarter found lay flat in my 75 Grizzly.

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Coleman Xtreme 120 qt and a Xtreme 150 qt cooler. I have used both to bring wild boar meat from SC to PA. and the 150 To bring a Bison that was cut, vacuum packed and quick frozen from MO to PA. With the hogs, they were hung cooled and quartered and put in the ice chest that was left in the walking for 2 days, then the cold meat was put on top of about 3 inches of ice with about the same amount on top. When I got home, about a 12 hour drive, when I got home there was about only a pint of water in the bottom of the ice chest. With the bison, the cooler was left in the walk in freezer for two days with the lid open, when I left the cut and vacuum packed meat was put in the 150 qt ice chest and after a 24 hour trip home, the meat was just as frozen as it was when I left MO. The key is, cold meat into a cold cooler. Most name brand coolers will do the job. I will not pay the price of a Yeti or knock off of same when my Coleman coolers will do the job for me.

Shrek

WKR
Coleman extreme 120 will fit two to three deer depending on size. No way I’m lugging a roto molded cooler around ! The extreme will hold ice plenty long enough.