Coolers for Elk

Deadeye11

FNG
Trying to decide which route to go: picking up an RTIC 145 on sale or just buying a 2nd Coleman xtreme 100-120 qt.

Plan on a colorado elk archery trip this September.

Also to think about, I'd probably need to take both Coleman's if I bought a 2nd one but would the RTIC hold all the deboned meat? If I am successful, i don't plan on keeping the cape.

Thanks in advance guys!

slowelk

WKR
I'd get a 150 coleman xtreme. I use a 100 and a 150 for my hunts. 100 for food, 150 for ice and future meat. Holding ice for 5+ days in September will be hard with any cooler.

OP
D

Deadeye11

FNG
Thanks guys. Looks like the big RTIC sold out so it makes my choice easier. Plus I found a 120qt extreme on clearance for $30 at my local Wally world. Works for me!

Gumbo

WKR
I have a Yeti 110 that I stuff full of SOLID block ice (not cubes pressed together to look like blocks) and a couple other large empty coleman coolers (one is 200+). I don't open the Yeti I kill an elk, then I split the quarters and meat between coolers. The Yeti holds the blocks for well over a week even in 80-90 degree temps. If I'm camping I use the coleman coolers for dry food and cold food until I need them for meat. I should add I very seldom debone so I need BIG coolers.

LostArra

WKR
Coleman Extreme fan here. ( I have one Yeti but the weight/capacity ratio isn't as good)
After 8 years and a hinge repair one of my 150's was moved to homebrewing duty since I didn't need the lid.
I received a gift of a new 150 Extreme that is a "Marine" version (white). Hinges look more substantial than my green ones.

Depends on what you are doing. If you need it for long term, the rtic. For transport, the Coleman or even Rubbermaid.

OP
D

Deadeye11

FNG
My friend that is going with me this year has an RTIC so I'm going to go the coleman xtreme route. Definitely looking at any hacks like filling empty milk and juice jugs with water and freezing those solid before the trip. Since I'll primarily be using these for transport, it appears the extremes will do the trick.

*zap*

WKR
Make a reflitix liner with top for any cooler and you will almost double the time it will keep ice...or you can coat the outside with the stuff. Top is very important.....most cooler have less insulation in the top.

TravisIN

WKR
My friend that is going with me this year has an RTIC so I'm going to go the coleman xtreme route. Definitely looking at any hacks like filling empty milk and juice jugs with water and freezing those solid before the trip. Since I'll primarily be using these for transport, it appears the extremes will do the trick.

I took two of the Coleman’s and did 6 frozen jugs in each cooler and a big bag of ice in each. Ice was dumped in. Jugs wet half melted and there was maybe 20% of the ice left when I got home. Haha that was almost 9 days later though! That was sitting in the cab of my black f150 with temps in the low 80s. I also put some frozen jugs in a day before I left to get the temp down before I put all the jugs and ice in. Durability wise no where near a rtic or yeti. I would be scared to pick them up by the handles full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Freeze half gallon milk jugs and stack as many as you can fit into the cooler, fill the voids with regular ice. Before any long trips, I like to "prep" the coolers by filling with jugs or ice to let it cool down and then add my fresh ice jugs. Prepping them seems to make a difference.

I have a 75 yeti and two coleman marine xtreme 120's. The yeti was a wedding gift and while its nice, if i am footing the bill the colemans will be what I am buying.

I brought the bull in my avatar home in one of the coleman's and the yeti. Had the bull processed and frozen out in CO, added dry ice to the top of the coolers, and drove home. When we got home both coolers of meat were still rock solid.

While another Yeti or Rtic would be nice / added assurance, for my needs the Coleman's get it done. I bough both off Amazon for $50 shipped to my door. That is hard to beat in my book.

tntrker

WKR
I bought a 15cu chest freezer for $100 off craigslist. It held my Elk and Mule deer for the drive back, just plug it in when u stop at night..

LostArra

WKR
Freeze half gallon milk jugs and stack as many as you can fit into the cooler, fill the voids with regular ice. Before any long trips, I like to "prep" the coolers by filling with jugs or ice to let it cool down and then add my fresh ice jugs. Prepping them seems to make a difference.

I have a 75 yeti and two coleman marine xtreme 120's. The yeti was a wedding gift and while its nice, if i am footing the bill the colemans will be what I am buying.

I brought the bull in my avatar home in one of the coleman's and the yeti. Had the bull processed and frozen out in CO, added dry ice to the top of the coolers, and drove home. When we got home both coolers of meat were still rock solid.

While another Yeti or Rtic would be nice / added assurance, for my needs the Coleman's get it done. I bough both off Amazon for $50 shipped to my door. That is hard to beat in my book.

^^^ Prepping (pre-chilling) the cooler makes a big difference

For anyone else who uses frozen milk jugs: there is an inexpensive product sold on Amazon called Ice Extender that you add to the jug of water before freezing. Turns the water into a gel and it definitely works. Only downside is you can't use the water for drinking. I just keep about 4 one-gallon jugs frozen with the extender all the time.

Last edited:

Brendan

WKR
My Yeti 150 would keep ice for 2 weeks easy. But, too damn big and heavy so I sold it, and have a Yeti 105 and a couple 75ish qt Coleman Extremes that get packed full of other gear on the way out. Couldn't fit a boned out bull in the 150 alone and have room for enough ice.

nv_hunter

FNG
I will throw this out there, I have yet to use this strategy but I have a buddy that swears by this here in Nevada. He will pick up cheap sleeping bags from Walmart or whatever he can find at a yard sale. He will wrap his ice chests with a sleeping bags. Making sure none of sides are exposed to the sun. He has harvested some critters in hot temps and had never lost one or had any spoiled meat.

OP
D

Deadeye11

FNG
I'm glad to see there is a multitude of options and appreciate all of the suggestions. I'm definitely going to freeze the ice jugs and will look into the ice extender idea. I've also looked at some of the reflitix hacks and will probably mod at least one of my coolers to do that.

BKhunter

WKR
I took two of the Coleman’s and did 6 frozen jugs in each cooler and a big bag of ice in each. Ice was dumped in. Jugs wet half melted and there was maybe 20% of the ice left when I got home. Haha that was almost 9 days later though! That was sitting in the cab of my black f150 with temps in the low 80s. I also put some frozen jugs in a day before I left to get the temp down before I put all the jugs and ice in. Durability wise no where near a rtic or yeti. I would be scared to pick them up by the handles full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats impressive they held ice that long.....I may pick a few up for my next hunt