Coolers for the ride home.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I would do a 2 inch piece if anything, just that style of insulation. What type of insulation did you use?

Hardstalk

WKR
This is a pic of the panels pre fabbed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374185932.291397.jpg
Sheet metal on both sides. But one solid piece of material. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374186037.088701.jpg

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
You don't happen to know the R-Value of those? Or what a company like Yeti has in their foam? The most I can find in 2 inches of foam is 12.5.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I bought two Igloo 120 qt coolers from Walmart for $80 each. This year we added a 160 qt from Costco for $89. Not top of the line but will do the job.

jamaro

FNG
I bet a drop in freezer will take just as much space and you can just plug it into your truck with an inverter.. besides you are going to need to put the meat somewhere when you get home.

amp713

WKR
I bet a drop in freezer will take just as much space and you can just plug it into your truck with an inverter.. besides you are going to need to put the meat somewhere when you get home.

Know a group of guys who do just this... as much as you will invest building one of these this would work better IMO.... pick up a used one, run an inverter, and when you arent hunting hook it up in the garage or shop or spare room....

Yep...Costco $80.

I have been giving thought to building a portable hanging room in my garage using foam walls and a portable a/c unit.

I was in Costco over the weekend and they now have 165qt ice chests. If I was in need I would be all over 2 of those bad boys

bz_711

WKR
Great info! How do you all wrap the meat in these coolers for the long drives home? Is it fully sealed in garbage or Ziploc bags? Or do you just try keeping it on top of the ice so it does not become submerged?

Thanks...

elkmtngear

Lil-Rokslider
We've been using the double sleeping bag method for many years...we pile the meat up in garbage bags on a double sleeping bag (the old heavy style large bags) and put dry ice on top, and wrap it up like a giant burrito. On a two day trip, the bottom quarters are mostly frozen by the time you get home. Works well, and never had any spoilage.