Coolers

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
Lets talk about how you get the meat home. I am a not so proud owner of several old coleman and other brand plastic coolers and was getting cooler envy the other day at Menards. Those who have made the switch to these expensive brands (Orca, Yeti and others) and their knock offs do you think it was worth the cost of admission?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMO Depends on use...if your opening and closing it everytime you get a beer no...If you gonna pack it with meat and frozen ice jugs and not open it for a week yes.

NoWiser

WKR
I have a Yeti 65 and I would say it is not worth the cost of admission. I was gifted it. It's a nice cooler but it's too heavy for it's capacity. If you load it with anything, you'd better have 2 people to lift it. It does hold ice well, but so does a cheap cooler with a blanket or two tossed over it. I find myself leaving it at home and taking my cheap Igloo cooler more often. My dad has a Rtic 65. The quality of the cooler is every bit as good and it seems to hold more. I'd choose that over the Yeti if given the option.

Cockeye

WKR
Bought a yeti 250 years ago at the time it was $650 it’s a lifetime cooler buy once cry once. It’s Been to fishing and hunting trips in about 10 different states.many guys I see just go buy deep freezer off of Craigslist and line it with dry ice.

Hoghead

WKR
I have a 50 at bision I use for hog meat it works very well but is heavy. Like the previous poster I have 2 yetis ice retention is great but heavy and expensive. I also have a 35 qt canyon cooler it was the cheapest of the bunch but just as good.
I think with any of the rotomolded coolers you will get what you need from them. I also dont think it is necessary to spend top dollar on a yeti when the cheaper rotomolded coolers are just as good. Yeti has a 5 year guarantee and my canyon is lifetime. To me that is a big difference in price for less warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
We have a RTIC 65 we bought at a benefit auction. Wanted to try one and it went to a good cause.

As said above, heavy for capacity. We use the higher end Coleman and Igloo coolers as well and really do prefer them. Pack with ice, tape shut, they last a week unless left in the sun.

Pros-Very well constructed, can be locked and used a bear proof container, look cool in the boat.

Buy one or two coleman xtreme marine 120s for meat. (They have these at my menards sometimes on sale!)
Giant roto-molded coolers are a PITA. Heavy when empty, and way too heavy when loaded down.
The smaller rtic 45 or 65 on sale are pretty darn good if you want to try a roto-molded.

bmf0713

WKR
I went for the ORCA brand coolers. They are made in the USA and they were running killer deals around christmas last year. I ended up getting 3 of them, the 28qt, 75qt, and the 140qt. Like other people said they need to stay closed to perform well. I use the 28qt for saturday beer drinking and it doesnt work any better than a $20 coleman. The 75qt and 140qt will hold ice and stuff for a long time because i dont usually open them as much. I also have a 150qt coleman extreme that works very well. But one of the main reasons i bought these expensive coolers is because ive thrown away alot of 20-50$ coolers because of broken hinges and handles. These expesive ones are built like brick shit houses and you can get parts for them. And i also tend to not leave them places because they cost so much money.

Trial153

WKR
I have three yeti coolers, 105, 110 and 45. I just got good deal on grizzly 165 as well.
If anyone wants a couple free coolers i have two marine model white igloo coolers, both have busted latches, cracked sides and handles.

Catahoula

WKR
I bought a Yeti 105 last year and have found that it holds ice much longer than my cheapy Colman’s. I agree they are spendy, however, I’m finding myself looking at purchasing another Yeti 125 or 160.

I bought a Yeti 105 last year and have found that it holds ice much longer than my cheapy Colman’s. I agree they are spendy, however, I’m finding myself looking at purchasing another Yeti 125 or 160.
How about Orion coolers? Anyone have any thoughts?

The Coleman 120qt marine cookers are $45 on Amazon right now. Those will get your meat home if packed right.
I use a rtic 65 for stuff at camp and keep dry goods in a Rubbermaid 150qt cooler.

ChrisS

WKR
I picked up a Yeti 65 and a hopper II 40 a few years ago at 50% off thanks to a quirk in their promo codes. The 65 is basically only a boat and tailgate cooler. I honestly use the hopper a lot. Nearly every weekend. It goes canoe/kayak camping with me and we'll use it for 1-4 day trips.

So for this fall's trip, I'm taking my Coleman extreme 150 and the Yeti 65. The 150 will be loaded with frozen 1/2 gallon jugs and remain closed until there's meat ready to go in there. The 65 will be full of frozen meals for reheating at base camp (and maybe some cube ice for cocktails 🥃). If needed, the 65 will be used for meat overflow.

I'm not sure I'd buy the Yeti 65 for full price or even discounted again - though it does make a great cooler for tailgating. I suppose it would be one of those things where it's better if your friend has one. I'd probably buy the hopper at full price (which is reduced right now anyway).

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Grizzly 40 (won it through a brewery giveaway) and a RTIC 65 (purchased when over 50% off). To be honest I wouldn't have either of them if it wasn't for the deals I got them at. Yes, they are better than your cheap coolers, but neither blew my mind. I do mainly use them during archery bow season here in Oregon so its pretty hot. My plan is to use the 65 to hold ice blocks this season to replenish the other coolers we have.

I drank the cool aid and got a couple yetis on sale.

I have a yeti 65. Keeps ice cold but it is heavy. I presume the bigger models would have to be a 2 man lift if they were loaded.

I got a hopper cheap. It gets some use. I used it as a carry on tote for a quick beach trip and then as a portable cooler all week. Love that thing.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I did a bunch of research before I bought an RTIC 65 theres a bunch of cooler tests on Youtube and they all get compared against yeti and all seem to do better as far as ice retention goes. RTIC seems to have some good sales

Muttman

Lil-Rokslider
Sierra trading post always has some brands of the roto molded styles. Sometimes factory seconds.
I picked up a Cordova 120 for $169 a couple months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I have an Engel, 2 Orca's and a Cabela's(Grizzly) cooler. They hold ice significantly longer than my cheap coolers. I couldn't say which brand is better. I got them all on sale. Saves me trips into town or the local gas station during the week for ice and holds food longer. Also bear certified, which is important in bear country. I prefer a few smaller coolers than one giant one. Well worth it IMO.

Lschloss

FNG
I don't have one of the Roto molds coolers yet, myself. But it seems like most people i talk to who have them say they don't live up to the hype and wouldnt have spent the cash had they known.