Coolers

Trial153

WKR
UPS today ....
0c227968cb5615a54cb02b6f95959fac.jpg

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Look here is the thing, ?whats the use? If you are going to use it 2 or 3 times a year save your money roto molded isn't worth it. If you are going to use it everyday then its worth every penny. I have a yeti tundra 65. I've had it at least 6 years. Its been a permanent fixture in my last 3 trucks, and its always loaded with a case of water a bag of ice and 4 beers. A set of boat chocks and 2 new bolt locks that key to your truck key and a couple feet of heavy duty chain get purchased with every truck. Before i was using a igloo max cool. They are great coolers, but the darn latches and hinges kept breaking every 6 months and replacements were darn expensive. Plus when they were broke and I pulled my full nose horse trailer it would generate enough uplift to suck the lid off and then the ice out when the cooler is riding in the bed. I do worry sometimes about theft but I haven't had one lifted yet.
So yes if you truely use a cooler everyday then they are worth if for the durability alone. The ice retention is not as great as you would believe though.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Coleman Xtreme 120 qt and a Xtreme 150 qt cooler. I have used both to bring wild boar meat from SC to PA. and the 150 To bring a Bison that was cut, vacuum packed and quick frozen from MO to PA. With the hogs, they were hung cooled and quartered and put in the ice chest that was left in the walking for 2 days, then the cold meat was put on top of about 3 inches of ice with about the same amount on top. When I got home, about a 12 hour drive, when I got home there was about only a pint of water in the bottom of the ice chest. With the bison, the cooler was left in the walk in freezer for two days with the lid open, when I left the cut and vacuum packed meat was put in the 150 qt ice chest and after a 24 hour trip home, the meat was just as frozen as it was when I left MO. The key is, cold meat into a cold cooler. Most name brand coolers will do the job. I will not pay the price of a Yeti or knock off of same when my Coleman coolers will do the job for me.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m happy with a yeti and rtic, would probably get more rtic going forward.

I did not buy them just for keeping ice longer. I wanted something that wouldn’t break in one or two years. Been happy so far. A 100+ quart cooler takes a beating when it gets thrown around full of meat.

i run 2 65qt engels and a 105qt canyon cooler depending on my needs. always have a yeti 30 in my truck also. in my opinion here in arizona they make all the difference.

I have looked long and hard at the overpriced coolers and just cannot pull the trigger. I have a 120 Coleman extreme and it has always kept ice for 5-7 days. For bringing meat home there is no reason for anything else.

Now, if I was going to buy a cooler for constant use I would get one of the rotor molded ones for the better hinges and latches.

There are lots of videos on youtube from coolersonsale. Some rotomolded coolers will still have some ice after 8-10 days, but I went with a Coleman extreme 5 day [70 qt, 100 can capacity] for 50 bucks to fill with ice and hold food, and I have 3 collapsible Colemans [70 can size] I can bring into play if I get something.

Last edited:

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
just a tip that some may or may not already know. To get the best results you need to prechill the cooler before you use it. I place several frozen 1 gallon water jugs into my cooler a day or two before I need it to bring the temps down. If I am going hunting then I replace the 2 day old semi frozen jugs with fresh jugs out of the freezer. It doesn't matter what brand of cooler you use if you put ice into a warm/hot cooler then ice retention will suck no matter what

Trial153

WKR
Any thoughts? What was your purpose for buying this size?
First, its Dimensions were exactly what I wanted for the foward spot in my truck bed. The footprint for capacity is pretty good. I have two Yeti's that are a bit smaller, the 105 and 110 and needed something bit larger for moose and elk.
The 165 was 50% larger for 20% cost increase. I figure I would give it a shot.

First impressions ....so so. Its seems well built, good handles, good seal, the tie downs are good size and easy to acess. Has divider slots. Fit and finish is good.
The walls seem a bit narrow and when tapped has little more hollow sounding then some other coolers. Still seems pretty nice. I am not 100% happy with the latches, they dont sit in recess so I how well they hold remains to be seen.
I do like that they tried in some ways to build their own product vs a shameless knock off of someone else. I stay clear of companies that do that for the most part as it doenst sit well with me.
All in all its decent and American made. I will put it through the paces this fall as I have some tags.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
It would be counter productive to lay an upright freezer on its back to use as cooler. All the weight from a useless freezer would outweigh just having a place to put meat, not to mention taking up most of the bed of a p/u truck when there are plenty of coolers that will do the job and have very little weight.

exppi

FNG
I have 2 Yeti’s. Used a 45 to keep meat frozen during a move. A cooler full of elk stayed frozen for 4 days in the middle of summer.

Vaultman

WKR
I bought the koolaid early, as I have had my Yeti 65 for probably 7-8 years. About 3 years ago I found a Yeti 160 in store, that was marked down $200, so I got it for about $460. That was a deal I couldn't pass up, knowing I could resell it if I wanted. It was great timing as later that year I had a elk to put in it on my drive home! I got crazy last summer and bought another one: the roadie 20. After my wife nearly killed me, she has come to love the Roadie 20 for our 5 hour road trips where we no longer have to stop. Then a 4-5 days later when we return home we can through another set of family sandwiches and drinks in there, without having to get new ice, and head home.
I know one thing, those three coolers are diverse enough and robust enough to last me the rest of my years on this earth (hopefully at least 40 more). They are so tough.

Last edited:

hikenhunt

WKR
just a tip that some may or may not already know. To get the best results you need to prechill the cooler before you use it. I place several frozen 1 gallon water jugs into my cooler a day or two before I need it to bring the temps down. If I am going hunting then I replace the 2 day old semi frozen jugs with fresh jugs out of the freezer. It doesn't matter what brand of cooler you use if you put ice into a warm/hot cooler then ice retention will suck no matter what
This is exactly what I do. It's amazing how long frozen jugs last!

I own canyon coolers. I bought my first one a 35 after a friend had experience with the larger models in his white water guiding. Im pretty pleased with mine when I use frozen milk jugs or 32 oz gatorade bottles. I now own a 55 as well. They are both in the truck a lot in the summer when going scouting or camping as well as just going to the lake for the day. They are a bit heavy but I like the rubber feet on the canyons as it keeps them from sliding around the bed of my truck and the square smooth shape is also convenient when packing into the truck with my other totes of gear.

paulnack

FNG

Casey_v

FNG
I have yetis but I feel once you get a cooler (any cooler) cold it will keep cold just fine.

Ahhh coolers! Keeps my water and beer cold!

Yeti 65,105 and Coleman 120 and 150. Keep the contents cold and the right amount of ice and you will have no issues! My Coleman’s are always in a state of repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk