Coolers

2ski

WKR
So I bought a Grizzly 75 at Sportsmans this weekend for $299, which looks to be $100 off according to them. Looking around that's about what everyone has them for right now, and that's cheaper than any of the other high end coolers of comparable size. This is my first high end cooler purchase. Does Grizzly make a good product? Should I look at going for a different cooler? Lets talk coolers in general. All the general cooler threads are a few years old, so I figure nows a good time to discuss them again.

I have several Yetis and a Brute (they changed their name to Grizzly). The Grizzly is rock solid and it actually holds ice a bit better than the Yeti I have. I actually used mine as a step box last year training for hunting, did many 1000's of weighted step ups on it lol. Don't spend any time wondering if you should have gotten a Yeti or how the compare, you have one of the toughest and best coolers out there.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I Bought a Maluna cooler a few months back, and it is by far the nicest rotomolded cooler I've ever seen and used. Cheaper than the big brands, and outperforms all of them by about 20%. Maluna - Maluna

The first few deliveries from the Kickstarter campaign are happening right now. I think the owner Scott Hoyt has plans to build up inventory soon.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
my newer coolers (less than 5 years old) are a yeti, a K2, and an Igloo Sportsman,,,,,,,,,,all fine coolers,,,,,but seems I use the Sportsman the most,,,,and they all can take the pressure of my big self standing on them when needed,,,,,,,

and thanks to paleraider for the work out idea!! Don't know why I didn't think of that,,,,gives me 4 inches more over the concrete slab I've been using,,,,,,

gonna have to check them maluna coolers

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have a Grizzly 100 and love it. There will be a review I did coming out soon on here. I did it as a "Road trip analysis". I wanted to see how the high end coolers would work compared to the cheaper traditional igloo types that I had used in the past.

OP

2ski

WKR
I guess my one concern is ice retention. The review I read from two years ago, listed grizzly as last in ice retention out of 12 brands they tested.

wyosteve

WKR
I have one Yeti, 2 RTICS and a Cabelas Polar Kap. They all keep ice equally well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the roto molded type these days. They all have to be decent to stay competitive.

mcseal2

WKR
K2 has a scratch and dent section that is priced pretty reasonable. I want to get a 120 before my next Wyoming hunt to hopefully haul a muley home in.

I have a Yeti 65 that works well, I have no complaints about it. I also have a Magellan 25 that I love. It's just enough bigger than the 20qt coolers that it's big enough a lot of the time. It has a handle that makes carrying it easy and it beats the tar out of the Yeti 30 soft cooler I have in ice retention. I would recommend the Magellan to anyone looking to hold 24 cans or a similar volume plus enough ice for a couple days, good tough cooler that doesn't break the bank.

When I was buying a couple roto-molded coolers I looked hard at Grizzly. The construction seemed top notch (at this price range, they all should be) and this was one company that, at the time anyway (grizzlycooler poster could likely chime in if that changed), was actually building them in the USA vs. other companies (yeti included) building them overseas.

What i didn't like were the latches at the time. They latched via a hole in the rubber slipping around a lug coming out of the cooler. I fumbled with one for hours trying to make myself like it but for a $400 cooler I was going to be totally happy with it or not own it. Their latches were just a little too much of a PITA for me. I went with a couple yetis and most recently rtic. I much prefer the T-handle

Others might feel completely different