Cooper Backcountry Barrel Break In/Cleaning Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 39919
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 39919

I have a new Cooper Backcountry in 7mm mag. Haven't fired it yet and per the Cooper instructions, I should run a dry patch down the barrel to remove any oil still present.

So the rifle went into a rest, bolt removed and bore verified to be free of any visible obstructions. Possum Hollow correct size bore guide with solvent port installed. Dewey cleaning rod, correct size as well, with jag set up with a Butchs triple twill patch.

Tried to feed a patch offset on the jag down the barrel. It's like I hit a brick wall. Cut the patch down to half size and still the same thing. Next tried putting some solvent on the patch and still no movement.

Next step? Solvent on the nylon brush and stroke it some? Hard to believe that the throat is that tight to get a patch started. The cleaning rod and jag went down the barrel effortlessly with no patch.

Call me a FNG but I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks!

FYI 1-3/4 patch size from Butchs which is supposed to be for 270-35 caliber.

LaHunter

WKR
I use 1 3/4" patches in my 7mm mag also. I don't wrap my patch around the jag, I put the patch on the end of the jag and push through my barrel with no problems.

OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Think I’ve figured it out, the Dewey rod came with a 30J jag which is too big, I need the 27J size for a 7mm. So even though the rod size of 30C -44 is correct the jag is not.

Outlaw99

WKR
That rifle is a a laser. Double check your bases on the rifle. Consider some locktite. My best friend has one as well, and he had some initial issues with it walking. Turns out, the base screws were loose.

OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Thanks for the guidance guys! I ditched the factory bases and went with a Murphy Precision 0 MOA titanium rail, Warne Mountain Tech low rings, and a Leupold VX-5 in 3-15x44. Haven't weighed it yet but it should be in the 7.5-8 lb range.

I tried to go light as opposed to a long range set up. My farthest shot will probably be 400 yards. Going to see how it likes HSM factory ammo with 168 Bergers.

ChrisAU

WKR
Got a pic of your setup? Waiting on a Mark 5HD to try out on mine, I have a Talley rail but think I'd rather stick with the bases that came with the rifle from an aesthetic standpoint.