Cooper backcountry rifle vs kimbers rain ascent

I really dont have my mind made up haha. I want that Cooper. Just dont know if I can justify it.

I actually do not own a hunting rifle. I'm a bowhunter and a backpack guy. I should have one, and I'm not going back to Alaska without my own rifle. Being that I will be hunting with my bow 98% of the time, I want my rifle to be light when I'm lugging everything around. That's how I ended up on this lightweight rifle fiasco.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Makes alot of sense. In that case, a Cooper for a first rifle ever is pretty aggressive. Have you shot other peoples rifles and if so, were there particular things you liked or didn't like?

Would be good to get a sense of what length of pull you like, what kind of trigger, what kind of safety, what kind of bolt throw, palm swell or monte carlo cheek pad on the stock.....if you shoot enough different kinds I think you will figure out what you like best....a Tikka, a Remington Mountain, or Winchester Extreme Weather, or similar would probably all be great "first rifle"s for you to get started. And on the lightweight front, a Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 would probably be a heck of an Alaskan rifle for a backpacker......I had a 308 that was a tackdriver...the barrel was really light, but the long actions have a thicker barrel contour that should be more balanced.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt you can contact Cooper Arms directly and talk to the guy who does the rifle testing and loading. They have one or two loads for each caliber that they have found are consistently accurate in all or most of the rifles they build. They will provide you with the bullet, brass, primer, and powder that they use. Might give you a good start on where to begin.
I did, and could not find the right mix that worked for me. The best load was in 168gr and its not what I wanted a .300 WM for.

Buy the Cooper! I have owned 2 and now have the 92 Backcountry in 7mm. I started out shooting the heavier bullets. Went through the 168 Bergers, the 162 ELDX’s and the Sierra Gamechangers all sub 1” but just not the 1/2 I was looking for. Then I shot the 140gr. Barnes TTSX’s. First 4 shot group was about a hole and a quarter. Unbelievable how a gun this light will shoot this well. It’s topped with the Swarovski Z5 and I couldn’t be happier!!!

Attachments

• 6C0855F8-DC53-427D-A13D-102C82609195.jpeg
    6C0855F8-DC53-427D-A13D-102C82609195.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 40