Cooper barrels

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I've read most of the threads on Cooper rifles and some of the the threads over last few months have posts stating poor accuracy when using heavier bullets for caliber in the Backcountry rifle. Does this still seem to apply to the Timberline rifles? The Timberlines use a slightly heavier contour barrel from what I understand. I did read the recent the recent review on the Open Country and that model from Cooper seems to stabilize the heavier bullets. I recently got my hands on a Timberline in 300 WM and it a close contender with the Christensen Ridgline in either 300 WM or 30 Nosler. I do prefer the aesthics of the Timberline but do not want o be limited to shooting 165-168 gr bullets from a 300 WM but maybe that is specific to the thin Backcountry barrel. I am also going to be following the 30 caliber test thread to see how the 30 Nosler compares.

elkguide

WKR
I have a model 56 Cooper that will, (IF I do my part,) shoot well under 1/2" groups with 175 & 185 grain Bergers.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The contour of barrel shouldn't affect the weight of the bullet it will stabilize. Stability is a function of rifling twist and a few other factors such as velocity. The Cooper Open Country in 300 RUM has a 1 in 10 twist which was fine with the 220 eld-x bullet. Anything longer would require a faster twist such as a 1 in 9.

With the Timberline, you should be able to shoot 180 and 200 grain 30 caliber bullets with ease.