Cooper M52

Jmol

FNG
Hi, first post on Rokslide after spending lots of time just reading topics of interest. Great info!

I've been using my Tikka T3 for many years and love it, but now I'm looking to add another rifle to my collection in the price range a Cooper M52. Almost pulled the trigger on a Sako 85 from Eurooptics last year until I read about the sporadic ejection issues that are happening with both long and short cartridges, but mostly with long. Not a fan of mounting my scopes high or limiting myself to scopes with just two turrets and a plex reticle that can simply be turned 90 degrees counterclockwise away from the ejecting brass. So after eliminating the 85, I'm now looking into a Cooper Excalibur in 7mm. Most of my hunting is from stands so a little extra weight over my Tikka is not an issue. Anyone have any comments about the Excalibur or Cooper long actions in general? Feeding issues, ejecting issues, mag issues? etc... I've heard Coopers customer service is excellent, very unlike the complaints that customers seem to have with Beretta.

I had one. Really wasn't crazy about it. Magazine fit poorly in the bottom metal. Stock was good quality but less than stellar ergonomics. The need for special scope mounts was annoying. Wasn't terrifically accurate. Just sort of lack luster for what I paid. The bolt stop broke around the 100 round mark and I returned it to Scheels.
There are several higher quality rifles with better features in the same price range. Seekins Havak is what I'd be most interested in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jmol

FNG
Surprised to hear, most reviews have been very positive with a few disappointments.

Last edited:

choovhntr

WKR
Have a 92 in 300 win mag which is basically a lightened up 52. The action uses a sako style extractor just FYI. I was “blessed” with the ejection issues of a sako style extractor. Brass hits the scope right where the turret meets the tube. Does drive me crazy and have had brass fall back into the chamber. I’ve heard some people have had luck with a spring swap but haven’t tried that yet. For the price of the cooper, there are a lot of good options out there. I suggest going to a place where you can pick them all up. I like the feel of the cooper action over the havoc, Christiansen, fierce, etc. in that range. Did like the fierce stock and magazine system better though. Hated the havoc stock to the point that it put it out of the running. The Christiansen was kind of just stuck in the middle for me. All of this is personal preference of course.

OP
J

Jmol

FNG
Yes I know about the Sako style extractor in the Cooper. Fierce has ejection issues as well since they use a Sako 85 copy. Might as well just buy another Tikka, had mine for 9 years and it shoots under an inch all day with factory ammo, and zero issues. LOL!! Seriously though, I think my next rifle will end up being a custom build by someone reputable. I don't know a whole lot about going down this path but I'm sure it will cost more in the end.

Cooper customer service is great on talking points but weak on fixing issues.
I’d never own another one.
Issues included:
Feeding
Bolt stop failure
Only one locking lug making contact
Magazine latch issues

Way better options out there.

OP
J

Jmol

FNG
If I keep doubling the cost eventually I'll reach a full Custom Borden, LOL

FURMAN

WKR
I have shot every action mentioned here(Fierce but no Sako 85). I have never had any ejection issues. I have had every single action mentioned cause brass to hit the scope turret but the brass always ejects. This includes 700s and clones. Coopers are nice rifles but I would take a Fierce over one any day. Tikkas are hard to beat if you are ok with their archaic barrel twists and short magazine boxes.

OP
J

Jmol

FNG
Find it difficult to accept any action in a rifle that I’m paying 4-5 times more compared to any off the shelf BDL, vanguard, savage, Tikka that I’ve owned that never ejected that way. Brass should not be slamming against scopes in my opinion.

I have a cooper long range open country 300 win mag. Badass rifle. Shoots very accurate and nice rifle. No problems

My step dad has two coopers...Excalibur’s. A .270 and a 22-250. Both are super accurate rifles

Cohunter9

FNG
I have the cooper M92 300 win mag back country. Ive probably put about 300 rounds through it. I went with this gun mainly cause of the 5.75lb weight. Gun shoots great, my main disappointment is with the magazine latch, and the magazine itself. It pops off with certain hand placement from the recoil. I think for 3k its a major design flaw. That being said i gave taken a whitetail, mule deer, and barbary sheep this year with it. Overall I am happy with the gun for backcountry hunting thus far.

OP
J

Jmol

FNG
The mag issue comes up in a number of discussions about Coopers, definitely shouldn’t exist for the kind of money they cost.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My Sako 85 Grey Wolf in .260 Remington hasn't given me any extraction issues at all. I run a Leupold VX-6 big scope on it and haven't had any problems. It's a great rifle and just as accurate if not even more accurate than my Cooper Model 51 in .204 Ruger. I also had an early serial number Sako 85 in .204 Ruger that did have the extraction issues... I sold it for the Cooper. My Christensen Ridgeline in .28 Nosler is my back country rifle for long trips since it is a very light rig with the VX-5 on there. I'd highly recommend the Christensen as well, great shooting rifle and great value for what you get.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yes I know about the Sako style extractor in the Cooper. Fierce has ejection issues as well since they use a Sako 85 copy. Might as well just buy another Tikka, had mine for 9 years and it shoots under an inch all day with factory ammo, and zero issues. LOL!! Seriously though, I think my next rifle will end up being a custom build by someone reputable. I don't know a whole lot about going down this path but I'm sure it will cost more in the end.
Talk to Curt or Todd over at Red Rock Precision in Utah if you're looking for a custom rig. Yes. It will cost much more, but it is worth it as you get the exact rifle you want with the specs you want by a reputable and proven rifle builder.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I have owned 3 Coopers, 2 model 54s and a model 52. The model 52 (300 win mag) excalibur is easily the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I took it up north last year on a 12 day backpack hunt and put it through hell, and when I needed it to perform it did flawlessly. I will say, for treestand hunting, the 26" barrel is not ideal, but Cooper rifles are shooters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
I had one. Really wasn't crazy about it. Magazine fit poorly in the bottom metal. Stock was good quality but less than stellar ergonomics. The need for special scope mounts was annoying. Wasn't terrifically accurate. Just sort of lack luster for what I paid. The bolt stop broke around the 100 round mark and I returned it to Scheels.
There are several higher quality rifles with better features in the same price range. Seekins Havak is what I'd be most interested in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What was your experience with the return process for Scheels? Curious how that went with a firearm...

What was your experience with the return process for Scheels? Curious how that went with a firearm...
Extremely slick! I think the fact that I put the value of it towards another (more expensive) rifle helped. But it was pain free.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Marty

Lil-Rokslider
That's great to hear. Now out of curiosity, what was the upgraded rifle?

I have a M52 that I've used for some hunting and still have. I really like it and I adjusted its trigger to the perfect weight for myself. It's performed just fine for me.