Coots - Cooked Up.

Jaakobola

FNG
I'm looking for a way to make this abundant game species tasty. I know it is considered undesirable by many people, but is like to hear if people have recipes they have enjoyed. Serious responses only. If you don't like coot, that's fine.

Warmsy

WKR
Honest-food.net

I couldn't find anyone that had actually eaten them, but nobody would shoot them, and I got a lot of upturned noses at the idea.

I fried the Pope's nose like hank shaw suggested, and the smell was VILE. I brined them; as suggested. Overnight, just salt and water.

I cooked them the next day: one breast of coot, one breast of ring-neck- couldn't tell thern apart.

Ended up making a risotto with the remaining breasts and some porcini mushrooms we found. Fantastic! Even my vegan neighbors( who will eat wild game) loved it.

Brining is key. I heard some people soak them in milk

I will be shooting every coot I see henceforth. Very little breast meat compared to other ducks, BTW.

Rob5589

WKR
So, we had a blind in the rice years ago. The land manager encouraged us to thin out the coots and said they were good to eat since they were on rice year round. On a slow day we thought, what the hell. We pounded about 30 of them, breasted em out, took them home.

I did my usual; light coating of seasoned cornstarch, and quick fry. I'll be damned but, they were good. About the same as a widgeon or buffy, much better than a spoony.

I have shot some other ones off the refuges that were stanky and funky. I won't eat those.

Warmsy

WKR
So, we had a blind in the rice years ago. The land manager encouraged us to thin out the coots and said they were good to eat since they were on rice year round. On a slow day we thought, what the hell. We pounded about 30 of them, breasted em out, took them home.

I did my usual; light coating of seasoned cornstarch, and quick fry. I'll be damned but, they were good. About the same as a widgeon or buffy, much better than a spoony.

I have shot some other ones off the refuges that were stanky and funky. I won't eat those.
I was at grey lodge when I shot mine.

You found the buffleheads to be palatable?! I was pissed that my house smelled so bad, and I choked down the breast out of respect for the animal!

I found the one spoony I shot to be on the upside of palatable.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Where did you get the bufflehead? Mine was in an estuary next to the ocean.

Rob5589

WKR
I was at grey lodge when I shot mine.

You found the buffleheads to be palatable?! I was pissed that my house smelled so bad, and I choked down the breast out of respect for the animal!

I found the one spoony I shot to be on the upside of palatable.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Where did you get the bufflehead? Mine was in an estuary next to the ocean.
Some are alright, some not so much :poop: I have shot them on various refuges.

boom

WKR
i have long since found out an Indian Curry will hide a lot of funk.

Fordguy

WKR
What about making sausage or jerky with them? I've never tried them, but sausage and or jerky seasoning can work wonders with so-so or "gamey" meats.

go_deep

WKR
Salt cure and smoke them. We grind most of our geese and make spicy snap sticks.

JShane

FNG
Brining and fat removal. Fat is flavor an the coots fat will taste like where it comes from. After that breasted out meat can be used for about anything. Tacos, ground meat for various uses, soups stews etc. Coots lags are massive in comparison to their body. trim fat on the legs, brine and use.

This is first year I've gotten coots. Had 7 swim into our spread and killed 4 with one 20 ga shell. Surprising amount of meat- removed fat, brined, and in crockpot. Refried the cooked meat in duck fat on cast iron for tacos. Enjoyed the heck out of them

I eat buffies and goldeneyes regularly. Careful to remove all fat, dice the meat into a stir fry or fried rice.
Got a pile of mergs this year too, planning on making jerky. Worse case dog treats.

Ducks taste like ducks. There's no magical order.

Oh this one tastes like a gadwall... said no one ever.

Coot meat looks like duck meat. Throw them both in a pan and blind taste test some subjects.

I don't shoot them unless the dog is bored. Mergansers get a pass either way hah.