Copper bullet advice for .270 Win

JohnB

WKR
I've got a Tikka T3x in .270 Win and have been having a bit of a tough and expensive time figuring out which copper bullets to shoot out of it. I don't reload yet so am looking for something I can pick up at the store or internet. So far the Barnes LRX have shot 2-3" groups at 100, Hornady GMX have been similar and the Remington HTP Copper(using Barnes TSX bullets) have done a bit better. I live a long way from anywhere that has a good selection of copper bullets so I'm reaching out for some advice before I continue to spend ~50 bucks a box on ammo/shipping.

I've done some searching but have not been able to find a store that offers "variety" packs of copper ammo. Ideally I'd buy something like a 20 rd box with 4 different types of ammo. Does this exist? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Tmac

WKR
Several custom ammo makers offer those packs. Superior Ammo is one, you pick 4 bullets and they do the rest. Some will then offer a second pack varying seating depths on the bullet you chose from round 1, not sure Superior does than, forget who does, but know I‘ve seen it online someplace.

Of 3 Tikka 270’s I shoot, two love the Barnes Vor-TX line with the 130 gr. TTSX, one the Barnes Vor-TX LR with the 129 gr. LRX. The one that likes the LRX loves Federal Fusion 130 gr. and the other two love Federal with the 140 gr. Nosler AB‘S. Rifles can be funny.

The factory Barnes 130ttsx has shot well out of my tikka 270 win. I’m hunting with it this year until I start reloading for it next year.

Attachments

• 3D4F51B9-121B-495C-8572-3231C373BA86.png
    3D4F51B9-121B-495C-8572-3231C373BA86.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35

Hoghead

WKR
Make sure to clean the barrel very good. I had a 243 that shot 3/4" groups then California went nonlead and I couldn't get a good group. I sold it to a buddy he cleaned the barrel and it shot good with a couple of loads. I read something about cross fouling that the copper dosent do well with the jacketed bullets fouling in the barrel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
I would make sure there aren’t scope or gun issues 3” at 100 with the LRX seems extreme

OP
J

JohnB

WKR
I would make sure there aren’t scope or gun issues 3” at 100 with the LRX seems extreme

My apologies the LRX groups were at 200 and were a touch larger than that. I've had a long couple weeks and should have taken a closer look at my notebook before posting. It has been shooting 130 grain Corelokts as good or better than any coppers I've tried.

Dhbwa

WKR
personally I have not had issues shooting TSX or TTSX after plain bullets... Doesn’t mean you shouldn’t clean it...

the 130 grain Vor-Tx ammo suggestion is spot on. Not too fast but normally shoot well.

I’ve owned a lot of 270s and have come to the conclusion that the biggest culprit in mono metal bullet accuracy is inappropriate twist rate.
Most rifles are 1:10 twist some are still 1:11 twist and to consistently stabilize most mono metal bullets requires 1:9 twist.

Some rifles can be made to shoot acceptably with a lot of load development and some can’t

brsnow

WKR
I’ve owned a lot of 270s and have come to the conclusion that the biggest culprit in mono metal bullet accuracy is inappropriate twist rate.
Most rifles are 1:10 twist some are still 1:11 twist and to consistently stabilize most mono metal bullets requires 1:9 twist.

Some rifles can be made to shoot acceptably with a lot of load development and some can’t

Hasn’t been an issue with factory ammo and 1:10 fieldcraft. Most accurate rifle I have owned with 129lrx.

SDHNTR

WKR
Sorry pal, there’s no shortcut to this. Anyone else’s recommendation of what shoots well in their Gun is irrelevant to what might shoot well in your gun. There’s just no way to know what will work in your gun until you try it yourself.

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
Several custom ammo makers offer those packs. Superior Ammo is one, you pick 4 bullets and they do the rest. Some will then offer a second pack varying seating depths on the bullet you chose from round 1, not sure Superior does than, forget who does, but know I‘ve seen it online someplace.
Copper Creek Cartridge offers load packs.

OP
J

JohnB

WKR
Sorry pal, there’s no shortcut to this. Anyone else’s recommendation of what shoots well in their Gun is irrelevant to what might shoot well in your gun. There’s just no way to know what will work in your gun until you try it yourself.

Yeah, that's what I figure. Hence the interest in the "variety" pack option. Thanks for the feedback all. I had a very busy summer so I feel like a jackass trying to figure this now. Luckily the Rem HTP are decent enough for this year.

Beckjhong

WKR
I have a T3X in .270, and was reloading trying to find a monolithic copper bullet.
Hornady 130 gmx worked very well.
My issue finding a good round was my human error/shitty form. I’d do a scope zero/clean/form check and have someone else shoot your rifle. The tikka generally shoots it all well in the right hands, in my exp.

swampfox

FNG
I had been shooting 130 AccuBond from my tikka 270 but was having accuracy issues so I switched to federal trophy copper 130s. I’ve been very pleased so far. I’ve been getting around .75 MOA and took an antelope this year with great results. If you’re shooting factory ammo I think it’s worth a look.

ldmay375

FNG
150 grain Federal Trophy Copper groups impressed me enough in a 7mm Remington magnum, that I purchased some in 130 grain for 270 Winchester and 270 WSM. I have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet.
————————————————————
I had been shooting 130 AccuBond from my tikka 270 but was having accuracy issues so I switched to federal trophy copper 130s. I’ve been very pleased so far. I’ve been getting around .75 MOA and took an antelope this year with great results. If you’re shooting factory ammo I think it’s worth a look.

Beckjhong

WKR
I had the trophy coppers last year. Lined up on an antelope and heard the loudest sound in the world—*click*. I know there will be duds in any lot of ammo, but it was all I needed to stay away from them.

OXN939

WKR
Yeah, that's what I figure. Hence the interest in the "variety" pack option. Thanks for the feedback all. I had a very busy summer so I feel like a jackass trying to figure this now. Luckily the Rem HTP are decent enough for this year.

Killed a Nilgai with factory Remington HTP Copper ammo a few months ago- they're definitely plenty terminally effective. If your Remington groups were also at 200, and did any better than 2-3", that's what I'd call excellent performance from factory ammo.