Copper River Outfitters?

I’m looking at booking a moose or moose bear combo for October ‘23 or ‘24. I have heard only good things about the Lancasters and the trip to BC seems very reasonably priced. High shot opportunity outweighs trophy quality for me as it’s likely this is a once in a life chance at a moose.

Who here has hunted with them? What was your experience? What can I expect from day to day on how the hunt goes? Main mode of transporstion (ATV/hiking terrain/boats)? How many animals did you see in week of hunting? We’re you able to pick through a few bulls?

I’m mid thirties but have had a few back surgeries. I’m not afraid of a little hard work and I do appreciate activities that kinda suck while you are doing them but I’m not going on any dall sheep hunts anytime soon if that make sense. How physically demanding is the hunting area?

Open to other options in the 10k or less range. Alberta or BC is driveable for me so that would be best.

Appreciate any feedback

Scottf270

WKR
Hunted in NWT with Jim at Nahanni Butte for moose. Jim is superb and runs top notch camps. My advice is talk to him in depth. If you get the answers you are looking for. Book with confidence.

Harveyb

FNG
I hunted with Jim in 2017 with my brother and 2 friends. We booked the hunt for 2 hunters per guide. Second hunt of the season. When we arrived Jim told us the hunting had been slow so he brought in 2 extra guides and did not charge us for that. The luck changed quickly. We took 3 bulls the first day and filled the last tag on day 2. Then spent several days fishing and grouse hunting. An awesome trip. Planning to return there as soon as I can. Great guides, good food and a nice camp. Main transportation was a handful of Geo trackers. One of the guys took a boat across a small lake to get the biggest one of the trip. Feel free to pm me for more info. I highly recommend Jim Lancaster. We drove from N Cal and towed a trailer to haul all of the meat home. Pix are on his website. We stayed at the Binta Lake camp.

OP
Banded_spooney
I hunted with Jim in 2017 with my brother and 2 friends. We booked the hunt for 2 hunters per guide. Second hunt of the season. When we arrived Jim told us the hunting had been slow so he brought in 2 extra guides and did not charge us for that. The luck changed quickly. We took 3 bulls the first day and filled the last tag on day 2. Then spent several days fishing and grouse hunting. An awesome trip. Planning to return there as soon as I can. Great guides, good food and a nice camp. Main transportation was a handful of Geo trackers. One of the guys took a boat across a small lake to get the biggest one of the trip. Feel free to pm me for more info. I highly recommend Jim Lancaster. We drove from N Cal and towed a trailer to haul all of the meat home. Pix are on his website. We stayed at the Binta Lake camp.
Awesome info, thank you!

Where in NorCal?

OP
Banded_spooney
Nevermind. I see the town is in your profile.

Harveyb

FNG
So have you really killed a banded spooky? I’ve got honkers, mallard and 1 teal with a band over the years.

OP
Banded_spooney
Spoony! Damn spellcheck!

Towards the bottom of the first page in the attached thread is a pic

VernAK

WKR
I gotta ask:

By reading the above, I'm beginning to think a spoony refers to a SHOVELER duck and not the stork like bird known as a SPOONBILL. Shovelers are one of our most common ducks in this neighborhood.

OP
Banded_spooney
I gotta ask:

By reading the above, I'm beginning to think a spoony refers to a SHOVELER duck and not the stork like bird known as a SPOONBILL. Shovelers are one of our most common ducks in this neighborhood.
Yes referring to the northern shoveler aka the smiling mallard, aka boot lips, aka Hollywood mallard, aka spoon dacklers

The spoonies from alaska winter here so we see/kill a lot of them. But to my knowledge there is no concentrated banding effort in the world dedicated to banding spoonies. To be banded they would have to be caught incidentally in a catch net meant for another species (sprig or mallard most likely as wood ducks ar usually banded on the nest). I’ve personally only heard of two killed. I have friends that work on banding projects and they might band 1 or 2 each per year. Super rare

Decker9

WKR
Copper river has a pretty good name for themselves up here.

Rumour is, Lancaster’s bought another local area and plan on having all their hunters in one big camp, and day hunt with trackers/samurai’s.

Some folks don’t mind that kind of hunt, a couple guides I know from the newly bought area didn’t really like the idea so jumped ship.

Depending on what kind of hunt you’d like, it might be a question to ask. Some guys enjoy the relaxed road hunting, others want the full experience.

Moose seem to be making a decent comeback around here the last few years. You’ll be in for a good hunt regardless.

Cheers.

VernAK

WKR
I've been a waterfowler for 6 decades and never heard the term "spoonie"........probably more of a regional term....but I never met a hunter here that targeted them either......learned something new.....thanks.

Mw01313

FNG
Harvey,
Can you pm me re bringing meat back across the border by vehicle please? Headed that way in a few weeks and want to he sure I don't miss anything

Thanks