Copper vs Bonded vs Cup and Core

Which bullet for elk size game and smaller (inside 600 yds)?

• Copper (ex. Barnes TTSX)

Votes: 70 39.1%
  • Bonded (ex. Accubonds)

Votes: 85 47.5%
  • Cup and Core (ex. Berge Classic Hunter)

Votes: 24 13.4%

• Total voters
Not sure why the Trophy Bonded Bearclaw wasnt mentioned..its about as close to the ideal bullet performance at any range on any elk sized game you are going to get. A lot of this conversation is unwarranted though as even quality cup and core like the Hornady Interlock will perform quite well at close or long range. I shot a Newfoundland bull moose...maybe 1200 pounds, at like 50 yards with a 300 Win Mag with a 180gr Interlock with a chronoed muzzle velocity of 3150fps broadside thru the chest which was a pass thru and the immediate next one thru the shoulder which was recovered and was a perfect mushroom and 58.8% retained weight. That bull dropped within 10 yards. Imagine the stress on those Interlocks..but the performance was superb. In addition, they are quite accurate as well so long range shooting wont be an issue. I shot a huge Montana whitetail buck with the same gun and load at 400 yards no problem. DRT. I shoot the 140gr TBBC in my 270 Winchester for deer and black bear here in Pa where you can be in thick woods one minute and an open field the next. As for lead poison...its a non-issue for the amount one could ever eat in game in a lifetime. We arent Romans drinking wine from lead goblets daily.

Sled

WKR
I do want to test some but they replaced the TLR with Terminal Ascent and according to the marketing on their website these pics do not impress me much...Berger Hybrid would give you a better BC and better performance at long range...kind of goes to show you that there is still much to be desired for a do it all bullet at all ranges...its beyond me that they would even use this image as promotional material.

View attachment 225270

It's because after you fold those little pedals back in you can shoot it again.

Edit: damn, rootacres got me with. A Necro thread.

Last edited:

Jmgates09

FNG
Federal's TLR is probably the best design out there if you want a mushroom and penetration. There is really nothing to fail with that design and you get a decent BC. Cutting Edge's Lazer is another pretty fool proof design.

Jeremy
600 and in terminal ascent is the best bullet in my opinion longer than that berger or eldm seems best options with their BC