Core-Lokt for elk

GueroUlt

FNG
Who here has experience shooting the core-lokt rounds? In your experience has it performed well? My rifle likes this round and I don’t really want to spend a ton of money trying out different rounds when I found one that shoots well. I tried out some expensive rounds and the core lokt has the tightest groups. Wondering if it performs well on elk? Thanks in advance!

ljalberta

WKR
Used the 150gr out of a .308 on elk. It works. That being said, I prefer mono bullets now as there’s a little less ruined meat from the lead fragmenting.

The elk guides in Michigan recommend them,just shoot heavy for caliber and go for it....if it shoots well for you hey why not.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my first ever cow elk some years ago using 150grn Core Lokt in a .308 @ 100+ yds, and frankly wasn’t sure if they would have enough oomph. That elk was delicious. I no longer use them though due to lead and got an even bigger cow elk from ,230 yard using Barnes Vort X copper.

Wapiti1

WKR
My dad used the factory 30-06 180gr CoreLokt for almost all of the elk he shot. Well over 20. No issues and no complaints.

Jeremy

They aren’t the best bullet. Put it right where it counts and you will have a dead critter. Some of the higher quality bullets will increase your margin for error.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
Awesome. Thanks everyone for the replies! I have the late bull rifle tag in AZ and am getting ready for it.

What caliber and what range do you see your shots being from based on the cover and lay of the land where you’re hunting?

I think they are great bullets when from the right cartridge. Mid velocity rounds of mid to large caliber is their sweet spot for elk imo. Wouldn't be my choice for elk if it was lighter/smaller caliber or from something super fast. In the 80's and 90s I shot a lot of critters with 3006 and 30-30 core locks....

ahlgringo

WKR
180's out of my 06 has worked well for me, out to about 400. Prob better bullets out there, but my gun loves em, so I keep shooting em.

zankuleg

FNG
My experience is zero with the Core Lokts on game, but I have always had the opinion that one should never settle with a lesser bullet on game. A fair assumption would be the Average Joe might only shoot 20 shots of quality ammo a year, 10 for sighters and the rest for game if need be, so why not spend a little extra on good bullets such as a Partition, AB, TTSX, etc. If you put a lot of time and money into everything else involved with the trip, you might as well spend and extra 15-20$ on a box of quality shells. Not saying Core Lokts will not work, but why risk it. Plink with the cheap stuff and hunt with the good stuff. My 0.02

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
What caliber and what range do you see your shots being from based on the cover and lay of the land where you’re hunting?
I should have mentioned that in the original post, my fault. I’ll be shooting .308 and I plan to stay within 500 yards.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
180's out of my 06 has worked well for me, out to about 400. Prob better bullets out there, but my gun loves em, so I keep shooting em.
I’m in the same boat. I bought two different boxes of ammo both in the $40+ range and neither shot as well as the core lokt