Core-Lokt for elk

Mt Al

WKR
Shot hand loaded 130 gr core-lokt exclusively for over 25 years in my 270. Piles of antelope and deer (40+, probably 50+), one elk, coyotes, etc, zero (0) problems. The premium bullet business is great, I've bought some recently for my 7mm-08 and am glad that, for twice the price, they shoot as well as the core-lokts. If my rifles didn't shoot core-lokts accurately I wouldn't use them. They shoot great, kill game because shot placement is really all that matters and cost is low so I practice more....so shot placement is better.

In my not humble opinion, if you're (a) not shooting at Mag-Blaster-Laser-Death-Ultra-Sonic-Hyper-Rage speeds and (b) not trying to reach out to 800+ yards, you'd never, in your whole hunting lifetime, know the difference between a core-lokt or premium bullet other than the lower cost.

Can I get an amen?!?

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
Shot hand loaded 130 gr core-lokt exclusively for over 25 years in my 270. Piles of antelope and deer (40+, probably 50+), one elk, coyotes, etc, zero (0) problems. The premium bullet business is great, I've bought some recently for my 7mm-08 and am glad that, for twice the price, they shoot as well as the core-lokts. If my rifles didn't shoot core-lokts accurately I wouldn't use them. They shoot great, kill game because shot placement is really all that matters and cost is low so I practice more....so shot placement is better.

In my not humble opinion, if you're (a) not shooting at Mag-Blaster-Laser-Death-Ultra-Sonic-Hyper-Rage speeds and (b) not trying to reach out to 800+ yards, you'd never, in your whole hunting lifetime, know the difference between a core-lokt or premium bullet other than the lower cost.

Can I get an amen?!?

AMEN 🙌😂
In all seriousness I appreciate your reply. I’m definitely not shooting out to 800 and if possible would like to stay under 400 but that isn’t always possible. Definitely won’t be shooting over 500 though so I should be good!

wyosam

WKR
Amen. Only reason I don’t hunt with Core-Lokts anymore is that I have switched to strictly non-lead on game. I’ve never owned a bolt rifle that didn’t shoot them very, very well. Both my 6.5 creedmoors will put them between .5-.6 moa, which is right on par with any premium ammunition I’ve put through them, and slightly better than the Barnes I hunt with, at least in my Tikka. My wife’s AB3 compact seems to make a ragged hole with whatever it is fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shot a desert sheep with a single 7mm/08 140gr core lok. I had a heck of time tracking down another box and ended up paying premium prices, but when they really shoot you buy more.
fbee3a983817cb5bd7cd1cc9ceffd633.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Just shot my first buck with a 150 grain 30.06 Core-Lokt. Range was 100 yards. Very last legal light; hit him about halfway up the body above his front leg. No exit wound. Crashed hard maybe 40 yards into the woods. I posted in the hunting thread a few days ago. Core-Lokt shoots sub MOA in my faithful 700 Mountain DM.

My first buck at 57 years old...and on our 35th wedding anniversary!
happy-hunter-jpg.125308

Last edited:
OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG

ebubedike

FNG
Core Lokts were killing elk many years before the majority of "premium" bullets were available. Perhaps they are not the "best" bullet for elk, but if they are the most accurate factory bullet/cartridge from your rifle, and you put the bullet in the lungs, I'd say you end up with a dead elk. I use fail-safes, primarily because they are the most accurate bullet in my elk rifle. Ain't America Great! We can hunt the same animals with different stuff and still bring meat home.

I should have mentioned that in the original post, my fault. I’ll be shooting .308 and I plan to stay within 500 yards.
If you want to lill elk out to 500 yards I think you should spend the money to by a polymer tipped bullet such as an Accubond. I like the performance of Nosler Partitions but it has a lead tip like Core Lokts and they get deformed from handling and in the magazine. They never fly as good as “pointier” bullets which usually have better ballistic coefficients too. A good bullet is a good investment.

Thunderer

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a whitetail with a 30-06 180gr core lokt and the bullet exploded just inside the ribs. Shredded the lungs so bad that I was pulling golf ball size chunks of lung tissue out during field dressing. Would they hold up enough for an elk size animal? I'm sure they would, but I stick to accubonds and eld-x's now for the solid bullet structure to punch hard.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Your core-lokts are fine for elk. If your rifle likes them, so should you. I've killed 1 elk, and dozens of deer with core-lokts. Never a problem. On the other hand, I have seen two accubonds blow up and barely penetrate....one on a deer, and one on an antelope. Im sure people could fill this thread with bad experiences with almost every bullet out there. Keep in mind that just because one costs more doesn't mean it's better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Personally I would go with something like a Hornady Interbond for elk, but there are many other bonded bullets out there that will get the job done if you do your art in putting it in the vitals.

bairdi

FNG
I’ve had great success and impressive on-game (4 moose, 2 caribou) performance with the 30-06 180 gr. Core-Lokt ultras. I was pleased with how well the bullet held together even when hitting heavy bone. Shots that didn’t hit bone resulted in a perfect mushroom if they didn’t pass through. My understanding is that is was basically a bonded core-lokt. They shoot just as accurately out of both my -06s as the regular core-lokts. But it appears they are no longer being offered by remington. Luckily I bought a bunch when I could.

They're bullet enough for what you've got. If you were shooting some faster cartridges or dropping down to less than a 150gr bullet I'd suggest something else, but for in 308 using 165gr-180gr bullet your'e not very likely to see a difference. All the big game rifles I have (or have used) that have a sub 3,000 fps muzzle velocity get fed Cor Lokts or Interlocks (same technology) and they do great on elk. 7mm-08, 308 win, 280 Rem, 30-06, 338-06 have all done great with non-premium bullets. With how well each rifle shoots I'd never consider spending 2x the money for each bullet when I know terminal performance will be nearly identical.

amassi

WKR
I shot a whitetail with a 30-06 180gr core lokt and the bullet exploded just inside the ribs. Shredded the lungs so bad that I was pulling golf ball size chunks of lung tissue out during field dressing. Would they hold up enough for an elk size animal? I'm sure they would, but I stick to accubonds and eld-x's now for the solid bullet structure to punch hard.
The eld-x is a cup and core bullet. Basically a core- lokt with a balistic tip

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I was gonna put that and waited too long.

The ELDs have a reputation for blowing up on close shots. Cup & Cores work wonderful on longer range and low velocity shots.