Core-Lokt for elk

I was gonna put that and waited too long.

The ELDs have a reputation for blowing up on close shots. Cup & Cores work wonderful on longer range and low velocity shots.
Cup & Cores even work great with close shots at moderate velocities if they don't have a polymer tip (splitting wedge) up front. There's a reason the majority of varmint bullets have either polymer tips or hollow points, they're great for generating the splat effect.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
They're bullet enough for what you've got. If you were shooting some faster cartridges or dropping down to less than a 150gr bullet I'd suggest something else, but for in 308 using 165gr-180gr bullet your'e not very likely to see a difference. All the big game rifles I have (or have used) that have a sub 3,000 fps muzzle velocity get fed Cor Lokts or Interlocks (same technology) and they do great on elk. 7mm-08, 308 win, 280 Rem, 30-06, 338-06 have all done great with non-premium bullets. With how well each rifle shoots I'd never consider spending 2x the money for each bullet when I know terminal performance will be nearly identical.
Appreciate the knowledge!

espea101

FNG
Deadliest mushroom in the woods
Keep it off the shoulder and enjoy your backstraps

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yeah, can't stress this enough - I hit my first buck just on the edge of his leg just below the shoulder, shattered the bullet, split the core out and found the jacket on the opposite side of the hide (core went through the hide about 12 inches away). Luckily, it appeared that the jacket had done some damage too, as it was a double lung shot and nicked the heart, while the core seemed to have deflected away from the vitals. I wouldn't trust that bullet on elk without great shooting; which is why I switched to bonded bullets, but that's just me (because I care about not tracking, not because I'm a terrible shot - he was moving a bit and I pulled it ever so slightly). I don't think you'll be sorry as long as you're a good shot.

OP
G

GueroUlt

FNG
Well I thought I would update all of you guys that contributed. I was able to tag out! The 180 grain .308 core lokt worked its magic with a well placed bullet to the heart and knocked him down in his tracks.

Attachments

• 470E3B1B-7DBE-4E4A-9715-4CDAB5DBED5B.jpeg
    470E3B1B-7DBE-4E4A-9715-4CDAB5DBED5B.jpeg
    656.3 KB · Views: 68

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats. I used to work at a local sporting goods store here in Montana and every season many guys came in with pictures of all species of animals harvested with core-lokt. We always said that it may not be the "best" but it kills the most game every year of any single bullet we sold.

300 win mag, 300 yards, 180 grain corelokt
b285a03e4658bb774973e6ba85d99360.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I understand that. But I also don’t want to waste my time and money when I could be better prepared and be in a successful GMU. I love the hunt but I don’t want to drive the 24+ hours and pull up to the unexpected. I can do all the research I want but personal experience given is always a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I thought I would update all of you guys that contributed. I was able to tag out! The 180 grain .308 core lokt worked its magic with a well placed bullet to the heart and knocked him down in his tracks.

LOL! Excellent bull and a great lesson in how well the tried and true stuff works.

ChrisAU

WKR
I don't advise against core lokts for the lethality necessarily, but rather the consistency. Inconsistent powder charges and bullet seating depths are common, affecting accuracy. Even in the same box of ammo. Ammo is about the cheapest thing we buy for hunting. Spend big money on a destination hunt and bring cheap ammo? Not I. Hunting whitetail woods by the house every weekend? Sure why not.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
I should have mentioned that in the original post, my fault. I’ll be shooting .308 and I plan to stay within 500 yards.

Should work just fine. I’m with the others who recommend against the CLs at extreme velocities but they’re great at normal speed.