Core4element - Torrent rain jacket and pant

KMT

WKR
Has anyone used the C4E Torrent rain jacket and pants? If so, can you elaborate on the quality, whether the pants have any extra protective material by the instep, comparison to other quality rain gear?

I have other C4E pants (switchback and element) and like them, especially given their price. But I haven't found much specifically on the C4E rain gear. I realize that there is a C4E thread on the site already, and thank you in advance.

sk1

WKR
did you do a search for torrent? im not sure if its the C4E thread you read already or not, but someone even posted a picture of their rain gears size relevant to a coke can.....ive been tempted by the rain gear as well.

OP
K

KMT

WKR
You're right, sk1. It is on the second page of this thread. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?4170-Core4-element&highlight=Torrent
I'm not sure how I missed it since I have even posted on the thread.

I don't need rainwear often in Colorado, so I can't talk myself into paying $275 for a jacket and $200 for pants if I can get descent quality stuff for the 3-4 dys. Year that I need rain gear for $200 on CamoFire.

sk1

WKR
im with ya there, my rain gear isnt even as nice as the C4E stuff, but it has gotten the job done....am hoping the C4E stuff is a decent alternative to the expensive stuff, as i am hoping to upgrade to it this season or the next

edit: funny, i just looked at camofire and the torrent jacket was for sale and still is right now.....so i pulled the trigger, and now they give you the option to add the pants after you pull the trigger on the jacket. so i will be able to tell you soon what i think first hand!

Last edited:

PhillyB

WKR
I bought my set off camofire and it has served me well. It is a little thicker and a little more durable than other rain wear. I use the top as my only jacket on early season hunts and it works perfectly.

A word for sizing, I typically wear a large in clothes, so I sized up for convenience of just throwing it on over my clothing in a hurry. The XL is huge. I would suggest ordering whatever size you normally wear for clothing and calling it good.

sk1

WKR
glad to hear it, i stuck with my original size....i debated for awhile, even pulled out the measuring tape

sk1

WKR
nice review and carwash test, mine should be arriving tomorrow....hope its what i am looking for, have been going back and forth on the torrent gear since it came out

OP
K

KMT

WKR
nice review and carwash test, mine should be arriving tomorrow....hope its what i am looking for, have been going back and forth on the torrent gear since it came out

Hi sk1,

What are your first impressions of your new gear?

sk1

WKR
overall im pretty impressed with the torrent rain gear. it is slightly louder than i expected, but not bad....in fact, if it's raining heavy enough that you need to wear it, i am sure the noise isnt an issue. it feels really durable for rain gear. as noted in RUTTIN's review, doesn't pack down extremely small, but not bad either. the weight is fairly decent, considering either the top or bottom is a couple ounces lighter than the kuiu stuff, and the other is a few ounces heavier.

really my only somewhat of an issue is sizing. i have a 34 inch waist, and went with a large. their large is listed at a 35, and their medium at 33. size 34 is fairly standard, i am not sure why they chose to make it an inbetween size for the core4 brand. while it fits, I may potentially need a belt, and would rather not use one if i dont have to. i am contemplating ordering a medium seeing which fits better, but a 33 going over clothes and i already have a 34 inch waist, might not work so well.

overall, im pretty happy with the gear, and now i feel confident i dont have to worry about getting soaked to the bone with cheap rain gear....which could cause issues at 10k+ ft and 5 to 7 miles in like i do in the uintas. oh, and love the leg zips on the rain pants, i hate getting rain gear over boots!

OP
K

KMT

WKR
Thanks for the info. I broke down and bought some Kryptek rainwear last year. It was pricey... and worthless. Couldn't keep me dry walking through wet vegetation. Cabelas took it back, no problem. But I've been pretty gunshy about spending money on "hunting" rain gear since. I have an REI rain jacket made with eVent fabric that is awesome. I wish it were gray or tan. If so, I would get the REI pants. I like waterproof stuff because there are times that I can be sitting in the snow for extended periods of time and don't like to get wet eventually. I have Rivers West pants and jacket. Both are absolutely waterproof. But the are NOT breathable, they are extremely heavy, and pack down to the size of a small buffalo.

sk1

WKR
i havent given it a full test like RUTTIN, but it sure does appear to be absolutely waterproof, but i dont know yet how breathable it is or isnt....one nice thing if its not a bad rain or intermittent is the pit zips and to 3/4 length leg zips to help vent that warm air

Just an FYI guys, the torrent rain clothes are 40% off right now on camofire. Buy the jacket and you can get the pants as an additional item. 200 for the set, just ordered mine.