Corner Crossing (is any hunter against it?)

Mike7

WKR
People have been corner crossing for as long as private land owners in checkerboard areas have been crossing govt land to get to their own private property, property originally granted by the govt. So it would seem that easements all around already exist?

200 posts still not a single post against that's not a ridiculous red herring or greed. Not a single link to a state law or case showing it's illegal. Couple landowners adamantly opposed that don't even understand what it is though, not sure what to think of that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
You said not “one” so, I will just remind you of two!
Personal injury liability is not a red herring or greedy. This is of grave concern to the landowner where a fence has to be hopped.
Wear and tear is another legitimate concern where a fence is crossed.
It may not help your position but, real nonetheless.
Cross at your own risk and even signed releases in many cases, ultimately, do not protect an individual from frivolous lawsuits.
Without court intervention and/or government compensation for easements, crossings or fence repair this is a null topic!
Call your congressman and vet all potential candidates and much more instead of bitching about it on a chat forum.

BuzzH

WKR
All you are doing is trying to stir the pot.

Just plain lazy - get off your duff and do the research. A shame some folks are allowing themselves to be manipulated.

Just go out and corner cross this fall, then let us know how it works out.

I've done it continue to do it, and will do it in the future...never had a bad experience doing it. Mainly, because its NOT a game and fish violation...

What other research do I need to do?

BuzzH

WKR
Wouldn't they be classified as trespassing cases vs. corner crossing? I was told by the former game warden and by a land owner that the sheriff's office will write tickets for corner crossing, so that is the basis of my comments above. I haven't tried to validate their statements, I didn't have any reason to doubt either of them at the time.

Wapitibob is correct, there has never been a case in carbon county. Further, the sheriff has been called for corner crossing at the place WB posted pictures of...no tickets issued.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Wapitibob is correct, there has never been a case in carbon county. Further, the sheriff has been called for corner crossing at the place WB posted pictures of...no tickets issued.
Very good to know :cool:

I was just in conversation with the landowner (not asking permission to hunt), and their stance was so strong on corner crossing it was comical. I am surprised that the game warden said the sheriff's office will write tickets for it if they aren't every actually writing any tickets...

204guy

WKR
100percent, sorry I would have to classify both of those concerns as red herrings. Liability to a landowner crossing public to public? Yeah okay. Also as has been pointed out to you already, many states have liability exemptions for people recreating on their land without compensation.
Fences, I agree that crossing a corner with a fence is a problem where that fence meets in the corner. A stile is a simple solution. But fence wear and tear? Common, I've crossed a fence literally thousands of times on public land as have a whole bunch of guys on here. Complete non issue.

204guy

WKR
Very good to know :cool:

I was just in conversation with the landowner (not asking permission to hunt), and their stance was so strong on corner crossing it was comical. I am surprised that the game warden said the sheriff's office will write tickets for it if they aren't every actually writing any tickets...

Not surprisingly people with greed as a basis for their actions are not above fear mongering to further their goals.

100percent, sorry I would have to classify both of those concerns as red herrings. Liability to a landowner crossing public to public? Yeah okay. Also as has been pointed out to you already, many states have liability exemptions for people recreating on their land without compensation.
Fences, I agree that crossing a corner with a fence is a problem where that fence meets in the corner. A stile is a simple solution. But fence wear and tear? Common, I've crossed a fence literally thousands of times on public land as have a whole bunch of guys on here. Complete non issue.
No red herring here! Very much relevant and most certainly real risks and concerns to the landowner. The fact that they might be dismissed as something else is irresponsible. These two concerns at the very least must be addressed to move the peg on this issue. No need to comment back to me— I’m out! We agree on a lot of other subjects, I’m sure but, this thread has turned into a mess and no solutions are being provided. I’m still on the fence unconvinced one way or the other! Pardon the pun!😳

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
What is really comical is it’s ok to hire out a chopper to drop you off on a piece of public land that would otherwise be checkbording but jumping over the line without touching is breaking the law? Where does the line extend to vertically? A ladder up and over? Human slingshot, I like it. Lol. Personally we ask permission and I e never had problems as I’m either on private for BTs in NorCal or in National Forest. Elk all public. But I get it. Maybe in checkboards we need to give a 3ft wide easement and payoff each land owner for their 18” of easement.

dtrkyman

WKR
Also reminds me of hunting near property lines...My last encounter was while turkey hunting, I set up in a fence row that was the property line in a bush that you literally couldn't even see through with decoys on "my" side.

Neighboring land owner comes up on utv with an attitude and says he doesn't like me hunting "his" fence, I told him I was hunting "my" fence, he got really confused and after a chat he calmed down, but I know he still was not happy about it.

So do I draw an imaginary line around a property I can hunt and keep that distance or can I hunt all the property?

Rich M

WKR
Had another idea - why don;t
I've done it continue to do it, and will do it in the future...never had a bad experience doing it. Mainly, because its NOT a game and fish violation...

What other research do I need to do?

I made the call to GW and was told not to - illegal - don't do it.

Seems I have to choose between the internet hero I'll never meet and the local LEO I hope not to meet.

Guess who wins...

BuzzH

WKR
Wasn’t a wyoming warden... they can’t cite for corner crossing. I personally know the past Wyoming State attorney general that wrote the legal opinion that the game and fish follows regarding corner crossing. The wardens have been instructed to not cite for it, there is no intent to trespass on private . Quit spreading misinformation.

204guy

WKR
All you are doing is trying to stir the pot.

Just plain lazy - get off your duff and do the research. A shame some folks are allowing themselves to be manipulated.

Just go out and corner cross this fall, then let us know how it works out.
Quoting this since you ducked the ? yeaterday. Since I'm "lazy?" for not being able to prove something I'm saying hasn't happened, hasn't happened. Why don't you get off your duff and show me a case of convicted corner crossing while hunting. One in WY would be great since I live here and you're particularly hung up on it. I'm not going to hold my breath. Be careful on that high horse when he bucks the landing can be tough to stick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HookUp

WKR
"A recent case near Anaconda involved corner crossing for hunting by local citizens on public state lands. After harvesting two bull elk they were confronted by the Rock Creek Cattle Company and FWP warden. The warden issued citations and confiscated the elk.
The evidence proved otherwise in court. The hunters used Google Earth and GPS to verify their location and the location of corner markers. The judge dismissed all charges after viewing the evidence. The warden acted without cause and no regulation or statute on corner crossing. But when did it become illegal to use state land for lawful purposes? The hunters were never compensated for loss of the two bull elk and no formal apology."

After what happened in Anaconda I would guess wardens will not be citing for corner crossing. Losing two bull elk would suck.

BuzzH

WKR

Seems I have to choose between the internet hero I'll never meet and the local LEO I hope not to meet.

Guess who wins...
With minimal effort you can find a memorandum dated August 25, 2004 written by terry Cleveland. In that memo it specifically states that corner crossing does not violate wyoming statute 23-3-305 and further that game and fish wardens have no authority to cite under 6-3-305. Attached to that memo is Patrick Cranks, the state attorney generals opinion dated June 8, 2004. If it was a wyoming warden you talked with that stated it was illegal he better get up to speed and contact rick king, his supervisor, for clarification. The warden will be referred to the memo I mentioned and instructed he/she has no statutory authority to cite for it.

MtGomer

WKR

Guess who wins...

Sometimes people that enforce laws don’t know all the laws. They are human too.

I have had a sergeant in the Idaho State Police tell me that there is not a single state it is legal for someone under 21 to possess a handgun nor for anyone of any age to have a weapon concealed in their vehicle without a CCW. Obviously he’s terribly incorrect on both statements.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Sometimes people that enforce laws don’t know all the laws. They are human too.

I have had a sergeant in the Idaho State Police tell me that there is not a single state it is legal for someone under 21 to possess a handgun nor for anyone of any age to have a weapon concealed in their vehicle without a CCW. Obviously he’s terribly incorrect on both statements.

I agree that the LEO's don't know everything.

It is my responsibility to know and follow the laws. As a NR who drives 30 hours to get there, it is a heck of a lot easier to just obey the local LEO and trust that when he tells me not to do something he means it. No amount of argument is going to prevail when LEO says I specifically told you not to do this.

My knowledge and concern regarding corner crossing ends there.

Tell the local leo you talked with to get his crap together, assuming you're talking about Wyoming. I have set more than a couple straight on the law.

As a LEO, you’ll NEVER “Set me straight” on the law. EVER.

Because I won’t give you the chance. I don’t contact people when I don’t know something and I can’t explain why I violated your rights in court. I’d rather not contact you and look it up later and get my information straight. If someone “got away” with some technical violation, so be it. Get em next time.

As a supervisor, I have asked subordinates to explain how they had reasonable suspicion for contact if they didn’t know a law. Never got an acceptable answer.