Corner Crossing (is any hunter against it?)

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
As a LEO, you’ll NEVER “Set me straight” on the law. EVER.

Because I won’t give you the chance. I don’t contact people when I don’t know something and I can’t explain why I violated your rights in court. I’d rather not contact you and look it up later and get my information straight. If someone “got away” with some technical violation, so be it. Get em next time.

As a supervisor, I have asked subordinates to explain how they had reasonable suspicion for contact if they didn’t know a law. Never got an acceptable answer.
Not to start a fight but if you were correct attorneys wouldn't make so much money undoing your work all the time.

One of the main ways they win court cases for their clients is by bringing up all the ways the officers screw up their investigation/evidence collecting. I have really good friends who do both jobs (LEOs and Attorneys) and they would all agree with that.

Some LEO's are better than others but there are plenty out there who don't know every law which isn't surprising or a knock on them. Our laws are way too complicated and set LEO's up for screwing up.

Not to start a fight but if you were correct attorneys wouldn't make so much money undoing your work all the time.

One of the main ways they win court cases for their clients is by bringing up all the ways the officers screw up their investigation/evidence collecting. I have really good friends who do both jobs (LEOs and Attorneys) and they would all agree with that.

Some LEO's are better than others but there are plenty out there who don't know every law which isn't surprising or a knock on them. Our laws are way too complicated and set LEO's up for screwing up.
You’re absolutely right. All I’m saying is that it’s not worth sacrificing your credibility as an LEO or violating someone’s rights to try and develop a situation where you don’t have the knowledge. If you can’t get up to speed on the spot by referencing a statute book or with someone that has more knowledge, walk away and study or get coached up so you’re better prepared.

In my opinion, ego is the last thing you want motivating you to do something.

Actual_Cryptid

Lil-Rokslider
You’re absolutely right. All I’m saying is that it’s not worth sacrificing your credibility as an LEO or violating someone’s rights to try and develop a situation where you don’t have the knowledge. If you can’t get up to speed on the spot by referencing a statute book or with someone that has more knowledge, walk away and study or get coached up so you’re better prepared.

In my opinion, ego is the last thing you want motivating you to do something.
If this attitude was more pervasive in law enforcement, we'd live in a better country. I suppose that attitude would make many areas of our country better.

I think we can solve corner crossing by offering to build footbridges with handrails and a 1000lb safe payload. I suspect that many landowners, when faced with the choice of playground equipment at the corners of their property or pulling back their fence 18" to let someone walk buy, would choose the latter judiciously.

I know it'll set off some of the landowners who think their 100 acres makes them a better person than Suzy in City, but in my dealings with rural landowners, I find there are just as many busibodies. To hear these folks talk about it, corner crossing is the next step before full ramblers rights and communes in the cornfield. It's the HOA mentality wearing cowboy boots.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

The outcome will set a legal precedent.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

3forks

WKR
We have organized looting of retail stores in cities where the police won’t arrest the thieves because the DAs won’t prosecute them, yet some guy corner hopping from public to public gets a ticket for essentially violating some landowner’s airspace?

I know, I know… it’s an apples to oranges comparison. But, even taking into account rural versus urban factors and perspectives, it‘s asinine that this LEO’s have to waste their time on this as it’s not even a codified law (at least not in Montana where most familiar with it).

Guaranteed that for every corner hopping complaint, there’s a more significant wildlife violation, or other law being broken (littering and speeding are two that come to my mind as more important to enforce than corner hopping) that would be a better use of law enforcement’s time.