Corner Crossing (is any hunter against it?)

rob86jeep

WKR
A recent thread got me thinking about corner crossing again and I had a question for all the hunters. Is any hunter (or rokslide member) against making corner crossing legal?

I'm all for landowner rights, but have hard time believing that anybody against legal corner crossing is doing so for rights. The only thing I can imagine is them having property which strategically allows access to public that others wouldn't have unless corner crossing was legal. Just curious if anyone has a different opinion/reason.

2ski

WKR
I get why people think it should be allowed but tell me how you get from corner to corner without crossing private land. You can't do it without setting foot on private land. Even tougher is when you have an animal you harvested. How are you getting it back? How are you getting corner to corner? Crossing right over the corner? How is that physically feasible? Right there at the fence but a few steps onto private land? Stepping on the fence? The wire at a corner is going to be pretty tight. Going a few fenceposts down even more onto private? Say a series of stairs is erected to get from corner to corner, I would be okay with that but again, getting the animal back poses a problem.

I hear it. In theory corner crossing sounds like no big deal. But i think private property rights hold pretty valid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oregon

WKR
A guy was walking his dog by my house yesterday. His dog took a dump on my grass. He had the audacity to place one foot on my grass to pick up dog crap. Didn’t even have the common courtesy to trespass up my walkway, knock on my door, then ask permission to pick up dog crap.
Uncivilized world we live in.

kda082

WKR
I’m ignorant to this, but what rights does a rancher have to the BLM land sections within his property? Can he farm, keep cattle on, cut hay on it?

JWP58

WKR
I get why people think it should be allowed but tell me how you get from corner to corner without crossing private land. You can't do it without setting foot on private land. Even tougher is when you have an animal you harvested. How are you getting it back? How are you getting corner to corner? Crossing right over the corner? How is that physically feasible? Right there at the fence but a few steps onto private land? Stepping on the fence? The wire at a corner is going to be pretty tight. Going a few fenceposts down even more onto private? Say a series of stairs is erected to get from corner to corner, I would be okay with that but again, getting the animal back poses a problem.

I hear it. In theory corner crossing sounds like no big deal. But i think private property rights hold pretty valid.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Its pretty simple, you take a step from public to public. From my experience a majority of these areas do not have fences.

I'm for it of course. If I was master of the universe I would wave my wand and make it legal in all western states.

However, I would be mindful that the property values of the private land blocking access to public would be negatively impacted by my wand. I wouldn't really care, but I would be mindful of it.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
I think walking across corners without a fence could easily be done without trespassing. With a fence makes it hard to do, but since the barrier was more than likely put up by private interests it should be given some grace to people accessing public land.

LandYacht

WKR
I also think that folks that are against the government holding landlocked land are pretty short sighted. The land can provide value beyond public access.

I agree. We’d be giving away a lot of land if they had their way. Who is going to pay you for landlocked land that they can’t access? Leaves you basically the people who own the land around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
I'm for it of course. If I was master of the universe I would wave my wand and make it legal in all western states.

However, I would be mindful that the property values of the private land blocking access to public would be negatively impacted by my wand. I wouldn't really care, but I would be mindful of it.

I really doubt there would be any significant impact to property values. The whining landowners in Montana said the same thing when the stream access law passed.

Have you looked at the prices of river front property in Montana lately?

LandYacht

WKR
To address the original question: I can’t fathom why anyone would want corner hopping to be illegal. To claim the space that someone’s arm occupies over the ground is reprehensible to me. I don’t own a ton of land, but I’ve got enough for my family, and I sure wouldn’t care if someone stepped corners.

The claims of people leaving trash, and what not, as others corner hop always make me laugh. There’s more trash in the woods and along the roads than will ever be dropped on a corner. The wind blows plenty of that trash on my property all the time. I just pick it up and figure it is the cost of doing business.

The best I can surmise is that landowners want to keep property that isn’t theirs locked up for their own use. I’d love to hear some real tangible examples of how corner hopping is detrimental. Every example I’ve ever heard of is easily remedied with attention to the particular corner. It’s just like cattle on the open range; you can’t place them up there for three months without watching them and not expect some loss. Leave your land untended for three years and the result would be the same.

The shocking thing is how just a few families own the majority of land.

Here are some interesting articles on the 100 biggest land owners in the USA.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/us/wilks-brothers-fracking-business.html

https://www.landreport.com/americas-100-largest-landowners/

What is really interesting (freightening) to me is how these people increased their land holdings by 50% during the great recession (since 2007). Perhaps a bigger land grab and wealth transfer than during the homestead days.

To address the original question: I can’t fathom why anyone would want corner hopping to be illegal. To claim the space that someone’s arm occupies over the ground is reprehensible to me. I don’t own a ton of land, but I’ve got enough for my family, and I sure wouldn’t care if someone stepped corners.

The claims of people leaving trash, and what not, as others corner hop always make me laugh. There’s more trash in the woods and along the roads than will ever be dropped on a corner. The wind blows plenty of that trash on my property all the time. I just pick it up and figure it is the cost of doing business.

The best I can surmise is that landowners want to keep property that isn’t theirs locked up for their own use. I’d love to hear some real tangible examples of how corner hopping is detrimental. Every example I’ve ever heard of is easily remedied with attention to the particular corner. It’s just like cattle on the open range; you can’t place them up there for three months without watching them and not expect some loss. Leave your land untended for three years and the result would be the same.

I am a land owner and also the owner of a semi rural single family home on a residential lot. Should someone be aloud to corner hop my residential property as well?

I don't own a lot of land, but the mentality of it is ok to trespass is wierd to me. Some one just corner hopping might not be a big deal, but there is enough "stuff" that goes on with trespassing you can not blanket statement it. I had some steal targets up for over a decade, they disappeared. There have been other incidents that make you just shut it down for everyone. Basically if the public treated peoples property with respect, more land owners would be willing to allow trespassing ect.
the worst part, is hunters have been over 75% of my trespass issues. Not hunting, but i had a family pull up to my field, get out and start playing. The first time no big deal, kind of wierd, but no big deal, the third time. Um this is not public property, there answer was so. They got booted.

The trash argument is always BS to me...if trash was really the issue why aren't landowners banding together to have mylar outlawed? Maybe is just were I hunt, within 40 miles of a metro area, but on 800 acres last year I picked up approx 30 balloons saw a a dozen more up in trees I couldnt reach and there were spots on that land I never went into last year...