Coronavirus and Mountainhouse Meals

Will_m

WKR
There's no doubt that viruses etc are harder on the weak and the sick, we already know that, but that's also nature's way of keeping the herd strong.....so to speak. But there can be some really tough times without viruses and sicknesses as well. We're all going to die of something at some appointed time.......why would a virus be viewed any differently? Heck, the virus might weed me out.......stuff happens.

1584125652027.png

Trial153

WKR
397e3c8d2d96b77c24370a5218810fcd.jpg

If you eat the Mountain House without adding water, you won't need any toilet paper. Problem solved.

Jeremy
Offered my buddy a roll of tp and bucket of mountain house for his new ram truck. He said no way. If he dont eat he needs no pt. Haha

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve had a massive stockpile of MH for awhile now. The remote transportation company I worked for was cleaning out survival barrels and didn’t want anything older than two years inside. Naturally myself and another avid hunter shipped all the “expired” MH home. It totaled close to a pallet of the stuff split between the two of us. Needless to say, I haven’t had to buy any MH for over a decade unless there was a new flavor I just had to try.

Fast forward to this spring, I’ve had my MH stockpile on a shelf in the back portion of my shop for about 6 years now without issue. Well, some little a-hole mouse found my stash this winter and brought the family. My current harvest number is 13 with 7 of them coming from hulk rage smashing as they tried to escape.

Only reason I found out is because I have a massive hunt coming up in 3 weeks and I was going to line my food out. Now that all the mouth breathers have cleaned the freeze dried food right off the shelves, I’m in somewhat of a pickle.

Man this is rotten timing. I’ll be able to find some through channels but still I hate to borrow until it restocks.

The mice I didn’t smash got the bucket treatment. Lesson learned, keep your food inside of totes.
a75a6e683946c19e1a8fd4c7a6cc5618.jpg

Ratbeetle

WKR
I have 4 giant unopened cans of chicken teriyaki...early retirement here I come!!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was going to get some a while back but decided to hold off my "stash" is down to 7

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I’ve had a massive stockpile of MH for awhile now. The remote transportation company I worked for was cleaning out survival barrels and didn’t want anything older than two years inside. Naturally myself and another avid hunter shipped all the “expired” MH home. It totaled close to a pallet of the stuff split between the two of us. Needless to say, I haven’t had to buy any MH for over a decade unless there was a new flavor I just had to try.

Fast forward to this spring, I’ve had my MH stockpile on a shelf in the back portion of my shop for about 6 years now without issue. Well, some little a-hole mouse found my stash this winter and brought the family. My current harvest number is 13 with 7 of them coming from hulk rage smashing as they tried to escape.

Only reason I found out is because I have a massive hunt coming up in 3 weeks and I was going to line my food out. Now that all the mouth breathers have cleaned the freeze dried food right off the shelves, I’m in somewhat of a pickle.

Man this is rotten timing. I’ll be able to find some through channels but still I hate to borrow until it restocks.

The mice I didn’t smash got the bucket treatment. Lesson learned, keep your food inside of totes.
a75a6e683946c19e1a8fd4c7a6cc5618.jpg

Well this answers my question. If I stash MH in my hunting area while scouting will I need to store it in something? Answer is YES!!!

You might have saved me an early resupply trip out of the back country. Thanks.

Also, I have seen plenty of MH in stores around here like BiMart. I will send you whatever you need. Just let me know.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I just traded 2 chili macs and a breakfast skillet for a ram 2500. I was debating If I should include the skillet, but in the end I caved. I hope This doesn't come back to bite me.

Jbehredt

WKR
Wondering if anyone had experiences with Freeze dried brands OTHER THAN MH?

This came up in discussion...Thoughts?

IMO Peak Refuel is far superior to MH. Better variety, generally better list of ingredients and nutrition, use less water, and cheaper if you catch one of the regular sales. Not sure how soon they’ll be on sale under the current clime.....

Rizzy

WKR
It’s looking like stocking up on freeze dried meals with the 25% off coupon at Sierra Trading Post may not happen this season

*zap*

WKR
How difficult is it to make these for yourself and how expensive is the basic necessary equipment that you need?

Thanks in advance.

How difficult is it to make these for yourself and how expensive is the basic necessary equipment that you need?

Thanks in advance.

Dehydrating is simple. Freeze drying requires a rather expensive machine. Freeze drying does have a much longer shelf life and apparently better flavor/texture with some things.

For a week long backpacking trip with some spaghetti, dehydrating is fine. There are quite a few YouTube videos on it.

TheGDog

WKR
Why are people jokingly bashing on MountainHouse meals? I freaking love their Biscuits and Gravy, and their Beef Stroganoff. The Chicken and Mashed Potatoes is just "Ok", but at least all those things are not chocked full of peppers/bell peppers.

I'm supremely glad I found those meals as most of these damn manufacturers address the taste issue by throwing unholy amounts of peppers/bell pepers at the situation. Which... Ok... whatever... I suppose for a lot of you that's fine... but if you're someone that can't actually eat them. It's a very troubling problem to overcome. Since the majority of these meals all the manufacturers make? I dunno who makes em... but I'm almost willing to bet they are a smoker whose taste buds were killed-off long ago by radiation therapy to address the throat cancer or something. Because most of these damn meals out there are just like instant acid reflux and/or on the freight train to IBS-ville.

So anyway, for me personally? I'm very happy their products exist.

Last edited: