CoronaVirus & The Gym?

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has forbade me from going to the gym today. All those sweaty people wiping their noses, eyes, and the weights or machine I touch next, she's convinced I'll get sick, not fit. Anybody else that regularly uses a gym on self quarantine?

jmcd22

WKR
Yesterday was my last day for a few. Sore shoulder and we literally just had the state's first confirmed case within the last 10 minutes and it's in the county I live in.

Poser

WKR
I went and will continue to go. I do go to a relatively small, “warehouse” space gym with less than a 100 members and seldom more than 3-4 other people there when I go mid morning hours. But I would continue to go regardless because it is a priority to me.

I went (resort) snowboarding today, too. The ski hills may very well get closed down, or close down early because they are bleeding money due to lack of attendance. I heard Breckenridge had 50% cancellations this week, prime spring break season. We had a 4 inch powder day today locally and it was pretty lightly crowded. Definitely people out, but not a Spring Break vibe. That being said, it was refreshing to see people out enjoying themselves and having a good time. I reckon I’m in the “I’m gonna continue to live my life and wash my hands” camp.

JasonWi

WKR
I went all week and will continue to until my gym closes. I'm doing everything I normally do, not letting this alter my life, just being mindful to wash my hands more.

Because I work for a university we're having lots of closures (all classes are now online) and really unsure to how long these counter measures will continue?

Last edited:

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Been going every day. I still wash my hands like I did before the chaos. I still clean the machine's when I am done, just like I did before. I hope the Gym doesn't close, I have been on a roll with phenominal workouts over the last month. It is amazing what a gym change will do for your workouts.

I went to the gym yesterday and I’ll be going again tomorrow. I’d go today also but I have a big family thing. As far as sweaty people all over the place, you couldn’t get a good checker game going it was so empty. They sanitize constantly, I use wipes both before and after, like I did before I ever heard of the virus. I’m not particularly worried.

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I’m still going. As others have said, I’m part of the be a bit more cautious but don’t halt life all together camp. I’m wiping down the barbell and weights before and after I’m done using them as opposed to just after. Using hand sanitizer on my way out the door, and avoiding touching my face. From what I’ve seen the gym isn’t inherently more dangerous than any other public space.

3 scenarios IMO:

1) high-risk group I wouldn't go.
2) not in a high-risk group but you have contact with high-risk population I wouldn't go. COVID-19 average incubation period is 5.1 days with 97.5% showing symptoms by 11.5 days. Not interested in spreading COVID-19 and/or influenza to those who are weak and at risk for severe complications up to and including death. Data in the USA thus far, sample size is small but is reflective of data in China/Italy, the elderly are getting hit hard. 40s: 1. 50s: 2. 60s: 7. 70s: 9. 80s: 13. 90s: 10.
3) not in high-risk group and no contact with high-risk populations okay to go. Realistic group but hard to say never in contact with high-risk group in general. I'm sure some fit this profile.

I'm in scenario #2 and have contact with high-risk groups. My effort to help protect those who can't protect themselves I won't go. My dad has CAD and my mom DM. Both are older and with their comorbid conditions they are high-risk for complications. My family is staying away from them.

Cold/Flu/Influenza: wash hands, DON'T touch your face (eyes, nose, mouth). Do your best to stay out of the respiratory droplet transmission zone of others. Self isolate if needed.